My daughter in Iraq

steveinaz
steveinaz Posts: 19,536
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Here's my daughter Candace (from my first marriage) in Iraq. She looks great. She should be home soon:
Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
Post edited by steveinaz on

Comments

• wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    Pretty girl. Glad to hear she will be home soon. Tell her to stay safe.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Pretty girl. Glad to hear she will be home soon. Tell her to stay safe.

Agree.
  • candyliquor35m
    candyliquor35m Posts: 2,267
    edited April 2008
    Great pic. I hope this is her last tour.
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited April 2008
    OKAY, i'll ask it...blood-related daughter?

praying for her safety.

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    My step-daughter, she was 3 when her mom & I got hitched. Thanks all for the well-wishes, much appreciated.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    What is a Navy chick doing hanging around with Army guys? Is she slumming or something? What gives?

What does she do in the Navy?
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    I think she's an "S-1" type--(personnel); not sure though, she reclassified some time back. Navy rank/classifications are totally foreign to this Army guy.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2008
    The Navy is a little different than the Army. I'm assuming she's just enlisted and not an officer. If she's just a Seaman, she's pretty much enlisted personnel and could be doing anything from logistics support to riding ship and doing any number of jobs from galley work to flight line work. the Navy also puts enlisted on loan to other branches to staff offices and a handle other things where needed.

Here is a listing of Naval ranks for enlisted: http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=260

And here is one for officers:
    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=266

Here is Specialty Staff Corp ranks and insignia:
    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=267

And here is your LDO and Warrant Officers insignias:
    http://www.navy.mil/navydata/navy_legacy_hr.asp?id=268

And tell your daughter to stop hangin' around with the grunts! She's Navy! She's "better" than that! ;) (that should piss off all the Army guys now!)

• steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    By hanging around Army ground-pounders, she's enhancing her image. Hoahhhh!

I'd take a swipe at the Navy, but there's no honor in taking candy from babies. LMAO!!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited April 2008
    Thanks Jstas. It didn't really make it any clearer for me & gave me a headache to boot!

What are the equivalent ranks between the Navy & everyone else? I know that Admirals are the equivalent of Generals & captains = captains, but everyone else confuses the hell out of me!

And what's so different about Warrant officers that they have to be different from everyone else in the Navy?
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    Anyone remember 1986 when the Navy finally banned beards? I worked with a number of Navy, they were not happy campers about that change in regulation.
  • cfrizz
    edited April 2008
    LOL! They banned beards??? What was so evil about wearing a beard? LOL
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    T
    What are the equivalent ranks between the Navy & everyone else? I know that Admirals are the equivalent of Generals & captains = captains, but everyone else confuses the hell out of me!

Here's a nice chart for you cathy.

EDIT : Even better, with insignias.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • Jstas
    edited April 2008
    Sorry Cathy, I only posted the Navy links for Steve's edification given that he likely already knows the Army ranks. bobman's links is pretty good though and comes from the Department of Defense. However, there are ranks missing on that chart from all branches because some have ranks that don't correlate to other branches.

As for Warrant Officers, here is a good description of what a Warrant Officer in the U.S. Military is: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warrant_Officer_%28United_States%29

If comparing to a modern business structure, Officers are various levels of management while NCO's are like supervisors. Anybody below an NCO is just a worker. A Warrant Officer would be on the level of say a senior staff member or a VP's staff. They aren't necessarily an officer in the typical sense but they have skills, abilities and experience that warrants them a level of respect above just a regular grunt or NCO which technically means that they can out-rank them. These guys would be like a Ph. D. in an engineering organization or a Nurse Practitioner in a hospital or a fellow in a college faculty or say a trade foreman on a job site. Like a guy who is in charge of all electrical contractors but reports to the site foreman overall. Oh and sometimes a Warrant Officer can be a civilian if they are embedded permanently in a unit, IIRC.

OK, after reading my own link, it appears that a WO can be civilian also. That would explain why on a few of my trips for work, when I was riding ship, I was ranked as a CWO-2 on my "orders" papers. For those that don't know, if you are with a unit or on a ship and you are there to do a job, the military branch you are working for will typically issue "orders" to you. It's a CYA for them in case they experience combat or some sort of emergency. If the give you orders, they give you a rank designation and a equivalent designation of the military rank so that you know where you stand. You are expected to respect all rank at your level and above you and those beneath you are expected to salute and treat you as they would any other officer of your ranking. The Navy takes it seriously, so does the AF but the other branches usually don't pay much mind. The purpose for this is the CYA I mentioned above and for the ranking order so that the Navy guys know who they need to talk to for what. I was given the CWO-2 designation because I was the lead systems administrator but I had less than 5 years of experience at the time so I did not warrant a commissioned level ranking but was considered higher than an NCO.

• steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    cfrizz wrote: »
    LOL! They banned beards??? What was so evil about wearing a beard? LOL

The Navy was the only service (sans coast guard) that allowed beards.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited April 2008
    I don't think you needed the 'arrow'....lol... I would hope one of those others wasn't her :eek: Hope she comes home safely!
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    Thanks, me too.
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2008
    steveinaz wrote: »
    The Navy was the only service (sans coast guard) that allowed beards.

Negative, all you need is a no-shave chit and youre good to go. And this works for almost any branch. Shave bumps suck to have in the field. And plus one for your daughter's safe return home.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • cfrizz
    edited April 2008
    Thank you Bob & John & Steve. I especially like your breakdown to us civilians! LOL

I had no idea that the military doesn't allow beards.
  • TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited April 2008
    Looks like she is E-4 (Petty Officer 3rd Class) or E-5 (Petty Officer 2nd Class)....there are actually a lot of Navy folks over there doing a lot of different things.

Hope she comes home safe and sound.

BDT, MSgt (E7), 1ea
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2008
    Be safe Troy and all US Arm Forces.

God Bless and Speed,
    engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    Sherardp wrote: »
    Negative, all you need is a no-shave chit and youre good to go. And this works for almost any branch. Shave bumps suck to have in the field. And plus one for your daughter's safe return home.

A medical PROFILE will allow certain people with razor bumps to grow short wiskers--but NOT the general population.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2008
    My step-brother has been a Seal for about 4 years now. The Navy gets alot of flack, and say what you want, but those Seals are some badd mofos. If even 1% of what he has told me is true....
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    It looks like an PO2 crow on her hat. And, IF she's assigned to 'S-1', that makes her a 'supply puke'-it's JUST a name we had for them, when I was in, NO disrespect intended.
    WHEN I 1st went in, they called us 'deckapes'! That was before I transfered to engineering.
    +1 on her SAFE return
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    I wish her safe duty and transit. You must be proud!
    Carl

• mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Back in about 1974, the Navy went from their classic dungarees and Popeye white cap to some polyester-blend Jiffy Lube looking work uniforms with ballcap.

...... because some Admiral's wife on some committee decided that the Navy needed to "modernize" their look.

:(

Back then, beards were allowed as long as you could demonstrate that you could get a good seal on an OBA.

Anyhow, you have a fine looking daughter, Steve. You have a right to be proud.
    Sal Palooza
  • toddco
    toddco Posts: 147
    edited April 2008
    PO1 or 2 , wishing you a happy voage home.
    RTi12's:D
    CSi5
    FXi5
    CSi3
    PB12+2 :cool:
    Sony STR-DA2ES
    Outlaw M200 x3
    SMS 1
    Signal Ultra
    Sig.2 Inters.
    PS 3
    Xbox360 Elite
    PHILLIPS 42" PLAS. 1080i
    Monster 5100 SS
  • steveinaz
    edited April 2008
    Thanks all!