Box designing software

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Anybody got a piece of software that they use for designing boxes? I recently borrowed Eminence's Eminence Designer software from a friend to test out but it seems heavily reliant on T/S Parameters. If you don't have them all, results can suffer. That's a drag because no manufacturer publishes a full list. Especially if they are a company like Memphis Audio that sells their own enclosures. They leave out one or two parameters that are vitally important to enclosure design. I'm still learning the program though and I was wondering if anyone else uses a software package that they like.

I know the Polk Audio guys have one but I can't remember what it is for the life of me.

The reason I'm looking for this is because I have a friend with some Memphis Audio subs. He is disappointed because people with less power than him on what he deems as inferior speakers, are hitting numbers in the 150-155 dB range and he is only hitting about 142-145 dB. When I asked for his T/S parameters on the subs and asked what his box was tuned for, he's way off. The sub's resonant frequency is about 40 Hz and his box is tuned for 47 Hz I think he said? Can't remember for sure. But honestly, for a high output box that has slot ports, it's set up all wrong. I wanted to try and see what I needed to do round ports and shrink the size of the box but the math comes up with a few possibilities and I wanted to see how they fleshed out without having to build multiple boxes.

Besides, this guy needs to be shown that this isn't like race cars where cubic dollars wins races. Winning a sound competition of any kind is 10% money 90% installation. I think he can pick up 10 dB by just tuning for 38-40 Hz because that seems to be where his response hump is on the sub. Even though I can do math on a white board in front of him until I'm blue in the face, he doesn't want to seem to believe the numbers. So building this is the only way he will learn I think.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    WinISD is what I use 99% of the time.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited April 2008
    I have been using winISD for years now and still cant figure out what T/s parameters are necessary.. Is it, as long as you have all the Q measurements? Or do you need Pe, SPL, Z, Le...etc?

Doesn't winISD figure out some of the measurements that you dont have?
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    jakelm wrote: »
    Doesn't winISD figure out some of the measurements that you dont have?
    It can figure out a couple for you, but I don't remember what they are off the top of my head.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • tk421
    tk421 Posts: 156
    edited April 2008
    i've used lots of box design software over the years... i've grown to like "Bass Box Pro 6.0"

it's US$129.00 or free on torrents. loads of drivers in their database, but u can also ad dyour own.