got my Krav Maga orange belt

ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,502
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Had the test yesterday, there isnt a part of my body that doesnt hurt now. Physically one of (if not THE) hardest things I've done to date.

been doing it a year and a half now, and ain't stopping till the body quits

these guys DO NOT just hand out belts for **** and giggles, thats for sure.
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    I can still run faster than you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Congrats my brother. After taking just a few lessons I saw how hard it was.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited April 2008
    Congrats!
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    Congrats.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2008
    Congrats Lou, well done. I really feel sorry for the jerk that pisses you off down the road. But, you are probably a gentle giant.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited April 2008
    Congrats Lou. Feel free to come on down and hep me out with some of the yardwork if you can bust tree branches and **** with your head.
  • NotaSuv
    NotaSuv Posts: 3,845
    edited April 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I can still run faster than you.

so can my 9mm :D

congrats on your hard work paying off
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    Congrats! That's an accomplishment to be proud of. I used to do Karate eons ago and I remember. Keep going just don't forget to stretch - a lot.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2008
    Congrats. Hard work paid off. That training pulls no punches.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited April 2008
    Congratulations ......... Puddin'.

Get out of line around here, and Justin will still beyitch slap you.
    Sal Palooza
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2008
    I wanna see you use Mr. Miyagi's "Crane Technique" on Doro at Polkfest.

Well done Louie-san! The forum bows to you!
    No excuses!
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited April 2008
    EVERY part of your body hurts?

Your testes hurt?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    EVERY part of your body hurts?

Your testes hurt?

not today, but they did yesterday. we smack the cups hard in this class. everything in Krav Maga pretty much ends in a groin strike too..LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited April 2008
    Does this mean we are gonna see you on UFC soon?
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2008
    Cool. Wierd though, the guys out here that teach Krav don't use a belt system, they likened it to JKD in that it doesn't use a belt system. Obviously they are mistaken...

I've looked at Krav and like the idea of it alot, skipping alot of the codas and such taht you find in most traditional martial arts. I've made my way through Kajukembo, which is actually similar in that respect but pulls up just a tad short of full on physical contact. Don't get me wrong there's plenty of physical contact, but the guys that run the place over here say there's at least one hospital trip a month out of their shop.

Along these lines, I would advise everyone to at least take a self defense class. With Kajukembo, the class is as much about teaching you general awareness that helps you avoid a bad situation altogether as it is in teaching you actual self defense.

I'd stand no chance against a professional fighter in a ring, not even in a controlled sparring situation against most people, but I escaped from basically a life or death situation where I was jumped about 8 years ago, and am confident I could do it again if needed - although I lead a much more 'sheltered' life now and the likelyhood of that ever happening is very small.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited April 2008
    Good stuff. That can be some wicked fighting.
  • kingtut
    kingtut Posts: 813
    edited April 2008
    Congrats Ohskigod,

Diamond-shaped blocks, plucks and clamps, etc.
    Good for you man.
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    Cool. Wierd though, the guys out here that teach Krav don't use a belt system, they likened it to JKD in that it doesn't use a belt system. Obviously they are mistaken...

Krav MAga splintered into different groups over the years, some dont have belts (instead they have levels such as beginner, advanced, etc)
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited April 2008
    Does this mean we are gonna see you on UFC soon?

if a UFC match was only 1 2 minute round, I would actually have a chance.....after that....i'm a effing dead man..LOL
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited April 2008
    Isn't that the Israeli martial art that is like supposed to be really violent? If it's the one I'm thinking of, it wouldn't fly in the UFC because many of the maneuvers are meant to immobilize the opponent and maim or kill them. Not exactly good for competition.

The whole idea behind it is to hurt the other guy to a point where he can't hurt you before he hurts you. It's nasty, violent stuff. The Mossad trains in a tactical version. I remember reading about the movie "Munich" where they had Krav Maga experts on the set for the few fight scenes they had to make sure that those involved in the scenes were performing the actions correctly so they didn't kill each other. Alot of the fighting stuff you see in the Bourne movies is a sort of mix between Judo and Krav Maga and the Discovery Channel had a show about fighting styles in movies and such a few years ago. Alot of the crazy fighting stuff you see in the Bourne movies is based on real martial arts and the actors went through a ton of training to effectively present it realistically.

But Krav Maga is hard on the body for both you and your opponent. It's hard to defeat too in your opponent because a good deal of the training focuses on how take your opponents offensive moves and turn them against your opponent. It definitely does not have the same "at peace with your soul" kinda deal that alot of the Asian martial arts have. Krav Maga is about hurt or be hurt, kill or be killed. But I guess any martial art that comes out of the Israelis would have to be quite violent given the history that that people have had to deal with.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited April 2008
    I'm sure as hell glad ohskigod has been happy with the purchases he's made from me so far, if not, I wouldn't be showing up to Polkfest 2008. Congrats my man.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited April 2008
    Yeah, based on what I've seen alot of the Bourne fighting is definitely Krav, it's actually very entertaining to watch...
  • ohskigod
    edited April 2008
    John's right. Krav Maga in and of itself does not directly translate to the UFC well for many obvious reasons. for example, UFC frowns on biting, eye gouging, and groin strikes (for good reason), where as thats not only cool in Krav Maga, its encouraged :D.

Krav Maga has no sport orientation at all. That said, there is a base kickboxing element to it that could be used in sport/sparring elements though. we do spar in class, and did alot of sparring for the belt test (hence my pain).

I'll throw a link to some pics up
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• ohskigod
    edited April 2008
    http://www.kravmagafederation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=596

this is the thread on the forum they have. the pics are on the bottom of page 1. the pics really don't do the physicality of it too much justice.

you'll see a guy in one of the pics wearing a yellow hand wrap. he's my friend Ken. he nailed me in the Kidney once during a sparring session last October......that was a night in the ER pissing blood and fire boy...LOL

needless to say, he hits like he has cinderblocks for hands........and he's 80 or so lbs lighter than me.....so he's faster too.
    Living Room 2 Channel -

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited April 2008
    Lou I can see in the pics where you looked like you wished it was over.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited April 2008
    Congrats Lou,Martial Arts is no easy task...my 13 year old tested for his Orange belt this past January in MMA

A grueling two hour,non-stop test of your spirt and yourself.

Once again,you should be very proud of your accomplishments.
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited April 2008
    Hey, congrats, I'm a Krav'er myself up in CT. My school doesn't use belts, we use levels. I haven't taken any of the tests yet, but I take a level I/II class. I just got back from class tonight, it was brutal.

We were just talking tonight about how a lot doesn't translate to UFC. We were learning downward elbow cuts to the back and back of the neck. Illegal in UFC. Definitely not meant to be a gesture of friendship....

It's very Israeli in its philosophy - don't mess with me, because if you do, I will have to kill you. Don't start the fight - finish it....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.