Amplifier draw/alternator output

Italianstln323
Italianstln323 Posts: 7
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok, so i'm thinking about getting an amplifier to power two 12" subs. The amp i'm looking at puts out 750 watts rms, and at that power, it will draw roughly 108 amperes. The 2002 Tahoe i'm putting it in has an alternator that only puts out about 130 amperes, and im wondering if this setup will be too much of a draw on the electrical system. I was also wondering, do amplifiers (even when at low-mid listening levels), put out their rated rms, or is wattage output proportional to the speaker volume. ex.(woulda 750watt rms amp put out say 200 watts at a low volume and thus draw less amperes)?
Post edited by Italianstln323 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    You should be fine. And yes, under normal listening, you will draw significantly less current than at full tilt.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Italianstln323
    edited April 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    You should be fine. And yes, under normal listening, you will draw significantly less current than at full tilt.
    -Cody

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited April 2008
    maximize your current electricals by doing the 'big 3'. Google for it. I recommend it for all aftermarket audio installs.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    www.fullsizechevy.com/forums >>AV forum

Theres a sticky on doing the big 3 for your truck.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Italianstln323
    edited April 2008
    alright, thanks. i heard and read about the 'big 3' on another forum, and it sounds like thats probably the best way to go. :cool:
  • DemonAstroth
    DemonAstroth Posts: 131
    edited April 2008
    I have an Eclipse XA4000, 125x4 rms; AND an Eclipse 34230, 740 w/rms (both have a max draw of 90 amps according to the manuals) which gives 180 max??

Anyway, my stock alternator is an 80 amp alternator. I have some grounding wires and a Optima yellow top, and only if I am at idle for a long time, with the music blasting very loud do my dash illumination begins to dim. I don't understand how electrical systems work very well, but I suppose I must be putting a strain on the battery, as the alternator cannot possibly recharge at that time, but I haven't really had any problems.

I am certainly thinking about upgrading the alternator though, but my header has a leak and that needs to be fixed first.