Garmin GPS, which one?

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
Looking for a GPS.. and i've narrowed it down to a Garmin brand.. but I go to their web page to do some research... and they have like about 50 different models to choose from. :eek: :confused:

I want one that is the larger screen.. I think that's 4.3", instead of the smaller 3.5" ones. Ok that now narrows it down to 25 models :confused:

I want it to have rerouting capabilities, multi destination, and say the street names. I don't need it to be voice activated though.. but if it has that, it's ok.. I doubt i'd ever use that feature anyway.

Budget $400

a few of the models i've been looking at.. 650, 660, 670, 680, 750, 760, 770, 780 most all of those are within my budget.. but they almost all seem to have the same features at this price point. why would they make so many models that are nearly identical? :confused::confused:

so any suggestions on any of the 600 or 700 series would be helpful.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited April 2008
    I got the Nuvi 350. 200 and change. love the little thing.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited April 2008
    I got the Nuvi 750 and love it! The thing is dead on accurate. I like having the "Where am I?" feature available in case of emergency. It will tell you the closest Hospitals, Police stations, Gas Stations, intersections and give your Longitude & Latitude (in case you break down and can give this to emergency vehicles). I also did not want the Bluetooth stuff which this does not have. A waste to me.

It also has a built in FM transmitter that will broadcast the voice directions over your audio system.

I found a killer deal that only lasted about 4 days from HSN.com (Home Shopping Network). Got it for $380.

Buy.com is running a pretty phenominal price on it right now. Go here...

http://www.buy.com/prod/garmin-nuvi-750-portable-gps-system-w-preloaded-maps/q/loc/111/205604060.html

Good luck!

John
    No excuses!
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    the 750 does sound like what i'm looking for.. but i'd kind of like to have bluetooth
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited April 2008
    I have a bluetooth headset.......much easier, and better noise filtering than what I've experienced from the GPS units.........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    I have the cheaper / simpler nuvi 200w. No bluetooth, and it has voice directions but no street names. I find vocal street names useless and distracting, to be honest. First, I live in new england, there are no street signs around here anyway, and SECOND, half the time the GPS mispronounces the name anyway.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    yeah. i guess i don't need bluetooth.. i have my ear pieces x 2 for that.
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited April 2008
    Owned the 650 & the 660, and used the 750/760. The 650 does everything as well as the higher priced units, but doesn't have the bluetooth (which I used two or three times). Costco 300$
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited April 2008
    Only the newer 7xx series has multi destination routing. None of the nuvi line can 'avoid' streets that you don't want to travel. They will all reroute automatically though if you miss a turn. The 6xx series has the old flip up antenna.

The nuvi 760 is the one you want. It has blutetooth, multi point routing and speaks street names. Also has a 4.3" widescreen.

The 750 has everything the 760 has minus bluetooth.

All Garmin units support a 'via' point... so if you were going to Disneyland you could set a stop during the drive.

I would recommend the 750 or 760. Also the 7xx series and only the 7xx series (750 included) support custom routes that you make on your PC with Garmin Mapsource.

The 750 can be had for $370 on Amazon. Also Garmin is supposed to be releasing new maps sometime next month.

Hope this helps.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    that does help a lot.. and how do you load new maps?
  • dohcmark8
    dohcmark8 Posts: 229
    edited April 2008
    danger boy wrote: »
    that does help a lot.. and how do you load new maps?

Here is a comprehensive review on the 750 that should tell you anything you need to know: http://www.gpsmagazine.com/2008/02/garmin_nuvi_750_review.php?page=1

You purchase a map update DVD from Garmin or authorized reseller for about $75. Pretty simple process that Garmin has nailed.

Some people have gotten map updates for free from Garmin if they purchased the unit within six months of the map update bring released, but thats a luck of the draw kinda thing and you have to call them.

At any rate... if you notice any missing streets or anything in your GPS... you can go here once the 2009 map is released to check and see if the road has been added or not. http://www8.garmin.com/cartography/ontheRoad/ (MapSource map viewer on the right... select 'City Navigator' and 2008 is the current map)
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    thanks, i just ordered the Garmin Nuvi 750 online... with free ground shipping and NO TAXES.. total $308 :D
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    ok update.. those sneak **** Garmin. I got the $308 price, but it comes with 2006 maps installed.. to get the 2008 maps.. it's an additional $69.99 + tax. now my final total is $400.67

that sounds wrong to me.. wouldn't you think it would come loaded with 2008 maps already?

Once I get it. i'm emailing Garmin about it.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited April 2008
    I believe that for a lot of them, when you register with garmin at http://my.garmin.com, they let you download a free update. Not sure which models are eligible.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • danger boy
    edited April 2008
    I checked.. from what I can tell the free updates are for firmware, not software maps. so I wonder if every year when they release new maps.. they charge you additional $$ to keep em updated? unless the maps every year have a ton of new updates, I doubt I'll update them every year.

@ $70 per year X 5 years = $350

I hope that's not the case that you pay for new maps every year. I understand why they offer new maps.. and update the POI. but make it like $29.99, not $69.99
  • zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited April 2008
    This is the one I use and it's fantastic; every option you would need and has the best maps and navigation. Plus, having the few hard buttons is really nice too.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=134&pID=382