Hello from new user

tk421
tk421 Posts: 156
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi All,

Just bought some SR6500s las year and began installing them this year.

Plan to compete in IASCA.

Car - '97 JDM Honda Civic Hatch.
Head - Alpine 9887 (getting imprint soon)
Front Stage - SR6500
Rear Fill - none
Sub - Undecided
Amp - undecided
Wires - Scosche
Sound Damping - RaamMat and Second Skin Extreme
Sound Proofing - Ensolite and industrial grade closed cell foam

So basically looking to link up with other polk owners, see what works for you. And maybe help me fill in those 'undecided' areas of my SP system. :-)

Regards,
TK421
Post edited by tk421 on

Comments

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited April 2008
    Very nice! Love that car (I had a 97 USDM hatch) and will be installing the same speakers in my new civic once the weather warms up. I also will be using Raammat and Ensolite. Good stuff from what I can tell.

So as for your amps/sub, what are you thinking? What kind of music do you listen to? How much output do you want? Are you wanting to go stealth (hidden everything) or are you thinking flash (fiberglass enclosure)?
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    hey man, nice to see there are others with similar setups/goals!!

1. i want SQ but i want to be able to crank up the bass from time-to-time.

2. i am going stealth. fiberglass sub enclosure in the spare-tyre well. sr6500 in the doors (tried to fit them in the kicks in fiberglass... but right-hand drive cars make this hard). even in your car it'll be hard.. move ecu.. move some wire on the next side. will be glad to send u pics.

3. do not use raammat nor ensolite. rammat is horribly nasty and you will spend more time installing it. also, you will need to discard all your clothing afterwards.

it is WELL worth the extra money to go with the secondskin. www.sounddeadenershowdown.com
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited April 2008
    Rammat is horribly nasty? Any what evidence do you have to back it up? More importantly, if you think that, why would you put it in your car?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Toxis
    edited April 2008
    Sounds like someone didn't take his time or doesn't have patience. lol

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    exalted512 wrote: »
    Rammat is horribly nasty? Any what evidence do you have to back it up? More importantly, if you think that, why would you put it in your car?
    -Cody

geez..
    evidence: i used it. i used other sound deadening materials, i have pics, i have samples. you want them buddy? how many cars have you sound-proofed. are you selling raammat?

i am not a retailer, wholesaler, fan-boy of any one brand.

Why did i put it in my car?
    - because i try different products over time. like what any good enthusiast should do.

i didnt come here, to this forum, for this kind of conversation.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    The only attitude in this thread is yours buddy.

I would love to see your pictures and samples.

How many cars have I sound proofed? Probably close to a 100. I'm an installer jack ****.

Do I sell raamat? No.

Do I have raamat in my truck? No.

Do I have over $1200 of Second Skin in my truck? Yes.

Raamat is not a bad product, in any way, shape, or form. Countless audiophiles use it and it is very, very good. Don, the guy who did the sounddeadenershowdown that you listed, has found no problems with it as well and recommends it to many people.

Get your panties out of a wad.
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    popcorn.gif
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    Raamat is not a bad product, in any way, shape, or form. -Cody

dude .. i commented on the following:

"3. do not use raammat nor ensolite. rammat is horribly nasty and you will spend more time installing it. also, you will need to discard all your clothing afterwards."

i did not comment on performance. it is an acceptable product in terms of performance.

i said it is nasty and it is. if u've ever worked with it, u'll know.

is this the way a "polk guru" on these forums behave? not a nice way to welcome a new user.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    The members on this forum treat the new users with the same amount of respect that the new users treat us. It is a privilege and not a right.

Rammat and second skin are based on the same platforms, the advantage of second skin is that it is thicker. I've never had a problem with installing one over the other as far as messiness is concerned. Besides, I dont do installs in nice clothes anyway;)
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    I know of several people that have used Raammat and have never heard of any problems with installation. Its as straight forward as Dynamat Extreme (my personal favorite) and works nearly as well at a 1/3 of the cost.

If youre wanting to compete in IASCA, make sure you get the rule book and make sure the install is flawless. Installs win SQ shows in IASCA.

Also, have you thought of using a 3 way set up? Contact Polk and see if you can get some 5.25 SR mids. Use the 5.25's for mids and the 6.5's for midbass. This will enhance the "crankability" of your bass.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Also, have you thought of using a 3 way set up? Contact Polk and see if you can get some 5.25 SR mids. Use the 5.25's for mids and the 6.5's for midbass. This will enhance the "crankability" of your bass.

very good point. thanks. i have thought about it but polks didn't sell a 3-way (at least to my knowledge)

i will do that. how do you wire it? the passives for the SR 6500 are 2-way, right?

are u suggesting doing it electronically? i may also opt to buy a full set of SR 5" so that i can get a second pair of tweets to put in the a-pillar (attenuated of course)
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    They dont have a 3-way, but they will sell you the mid separate. You will have to do it electronically unless you build your own crossover or have an amp capable of doing so. but if you really want to be a serious competitor, a processor is a wise investment.
    -Cody
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    ok. the plan was to bi-amp the SR6500 using alpine's new PDX 5.

75x4 and
    300 x1 WRMS

adding a next set of speakers will mean another amp. what is the typical handling of these SR6500s? i know rated RMS is 125 (combined).. but what if they are used in bi-amp mode???
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2008
    If youre going to compete in IASCA or any org for that matter youll definitely need a processor of some kind. The Alpine H701 is the best. Zapco also makes a nice one.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Toxis
    edited April 2008
    I'm considering doing some USACi competing this year if I can get it done soon enough. The only processor I'll be using is the Premier 880 HU.

• exalted512
    edited April 2008
    Good luck with that!

Thats the way the fiancee's car is going to be set up. SR10 and sr6500s off an 880, RF T4004 and T3002. Sadly, my very first amp I ever had went bad a couple weeks ago and fried the outputs on the 880. Thought it was just the deck at first, so i threw some new RCAs in there and replaced the 880 with a new one. Couple days later, fried outputs. Sad, sad day.
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2008
    I doubt thatll be enough dude.

Youll need independent left and right EQ's, time alignment and crossovers.

• exalted512
    edited April 2008
    880 has that. Not extensively, but it does have it.
    -Cody
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2008
    Good luck with that!

Thats the way the fiancee's car is going to be set up. SR10 and sr6500s off an 880, RF T4004 and T3002. Sadly, my very first amp I ever had went bad a couple weeks ago and fried the outputs on the 880. Thought it was just the deck at first, so i threw some new RCAs in there and replaced the 880 with a new one. Couple days later, fried outputs. Sad, sad day.
    -Cody

Can I assume you've seen this? http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13889

While probably not as good as having Pioneer repair the HU, it apparently works for less $$$.
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    I never read past the firstpage, is there something else?

But Im sure my problem is the amp as I wasn't unhooking or hooking anything up.

stil under warranty though.
    -Cody
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited April 2008
    I never read past the firstpage, is there something else?

But Im sure my problem is the amp as I wasn't unhooking or hooking anything up.

stil under warranty though.
    -Cody

Under warranty is good.

If you were to have read deeper into the thread, they have a Pioneer modification where you substitute the notorious Pico fuse that always blows and causes issues (aka microfuse) with a resistor (or a solid piece of wire for the daring :eek:).

There's a few macro shots of where it is on the PC board on various Pioneer HUs, and where you solder the "repair".
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    Ive actually done that to a few radios that have come back out of warranty...lol.
    -Cody
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    wow... lol. some brave stuff there. i'm disappointed that 75 watts is not enuff to drive the SR6500's 6inch woofer.

The next amp i considered was the JL audio's 500/5. it does:
    100x2
    25x2
    250x1

those aren't figures i really like but are close. another contender is the elemental designs NiNe.5
    100x4
    250x1

the 4 stereo channels are good, but since i'm most likely gonna use an SR10 in a SEALED box, i dont think 250 WRMS is enuff to drive my setup.

decisions decisions... i think i may need to go with two separate amps OR forget the bi-amping idea and use an alpine PDX that does 150x4 WRMS
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    I wouldn't go with either of those amps for bi-amping. The JL is designed for a front and rear setup, which is the reason for the difference in power.

The ED is, well, just that, ED. I would never purchase anything from ED. Partly because I hate them, actually, mostly because I hate them, but you also never know what you're getting (or might not be getting) from them.

If you have a budget to work with and any other constraints, let us know and hopefully we can lead you in the right direction.
    -Cody
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited April 2008
    y not go with the 4x150 pdx and a 1x1000 pdx for the SR
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    I wouldn't go with either of those amps for bi-amping. The JL is designed for a front and rear setup, which is the reason for the difference in power.

The ED is, well, just that, ED. I would never purchase anything from ED. Partly because I hate them, actually, mostly because I hate them, but you also never know what you're getting (or might not be getting) from them.

If you have a budget to work with and any other constraints, let us know and hopefully we can lead you in the right direction.
    -Cody

:-( well, i *can* tell you that i've constantly been perturbed on the amp issue.

i like alpine and jl but i'm open to new ideas. the arc SE is also good. i am serious about SQ. i want lot of bass for when guys wanna say a 10" isnt enuff.

are we talking two amps? i dont really have a budget. but at the same time i dont throw away money. i've spent about US$2000 thus far and over 200 hours on the car. so i like this stuff. :-)
  • tk421
    edited April 2008
    y not go with the 4x150 pdx and a 1x1000 pdx for the SR

i think that sounds like a good idea. and the amps would match in shape/size.. so the install would look neat. i love symmetry
  • exalted512
    edited April 2008
    Thought about Polk amps? I would recommend going with 2 amps, but if it doesn't fit in your budget, this one is pretty nice:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/amps/5channel/pa1100_5/
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited April 2008
    Id recommend the new Polk amps. The PA500.4 at 90x4 bi-amped and the 1200.1 at 800x1 @ 2 ohms for the SR10DVC.

http://www.polkaudio.com/caraudio/products/amps/

Thats the setup Im going to be using for mine. Bi-amping a set of SR6500's and a single SR124DVC in a sealed box.

• tk421
    edited April 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Id recommend the new Polk amps. The PA500.4 at 90x4 bi-amped and the 1200.1 at 800x1 @ 2 ohms for the SR10DVC.

*sigh* skeptical. i've nvr used polks amps. nvr seen a review on tha PA amps (well they *are* new... so that's why)

got any links/reviews? user opinions? compared to JL, alpine, dls