My daughter is not a chip off the old block.

Rivrrat
Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
My daughter just nailed her 2nd consecutive qtr of straight A's as a HS freshman.

She got 2 B's in her first qtr, and she's been on a tear ever since. She even missed two weeks of school with bronchitis this past qtr. Her goal is to get an academic scholarship.

I barely saw an A, unless it was in a shop class or PE.:p (well history too)
My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
Post edited by Rivrrat on

Comments

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited April 2008
    Congrats to your daughter - well done!. It's neat to be a proud parent. Enjoy.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited April 2008
    Nice. Get her to start boxing and you have a contendah!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2008
    Whoo Hoo. I love to hear it when my girls are doing good! Congrats.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2008
    Congrats!!! Do something nice for that great young lady you got.
  • Phasearray
    Phasearray Posts: 437
    edited April 2008
    It's always the smart nerdy high school girls who goes nuts when they start college
    Receiver - Onkyo HT-R340
    Front - Pioneer S-HF21
    Center -Onkyo SKC-340C
    Surround Back - Polk R15 <--Ticket to club polk
    Subwoofer - Onkyo SKW-340
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited April 2008
    Phasearray wrote: »
    It's always the smart nerdy high school girls who goes nuts when they start college

No thats the ones who didn't make it to collage.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • SBrown712
    SBrown712 Posts: 202
    edited April 2008
    Congrats. I don't remember A's in my high school. I think the highest grade we had was a C.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited April 2008
    That's terrific. She has a great future ahead of her with that kind of discipline.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited April 2008
    Congrats

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited April 2008
    Thats great for you both :)

Mine was an A student as well , then kinda drifted down one semester as a sophmore in HS. At that age, dad putting the hammer down would likely have a more negative then positive result...so I just said " I guess you dont want that new Yamaha MX M/C for the summer then "

It worked :) She got the M/C
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited April 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    My daughter just nailed her 2nd consecutive qtr of straight A's as a HS freshman.

She got 2 B's in her first qtr, and she's been on a tear ever since. She even missed two weeks of school with bronchitis this past qtr. Her goal is to get an academic scholarship.

I barely saw an A, unless it was in a shop class or PE.:p (well history too)

Your daughter should be commended for a good job and encouraged to keep it up!

I will say from experience that the academic scholarships are based on two factors somewhat unrelated to grades. Need and ACT/SAT scores. If your child has excellent grades and can prove need there are quite a few scholarships available. If she scores very high on the tests there are quite a few scholarships available.

My oldest graduated from HS with a 4.0 and 4th in her class of 400+ students. This was without taking any of the so called advanced courses where one can actually get higher than a 4.0 towards the GPA. She never made a B. All of the schools she wanted to attend only required the ACT so she never took the SAT. Her highest ACT score was a 26. She was turned down for countless scholarships because her test score was not high enough and I made too much money. She did receive our state lottery scholarship of $3,000 per year that everyone with an 18 ACT score and 3.0 GPA gets. One school offered her partial tuition if she worked for the school 6-9 hours a week (not a bad deal). She was very disappointed that she worked her **** off to get great grades and lots of her friends were getting scholarships that goofed off more and didn’t work as hard because of “need”. One of the schools actually told me that with her grades, if we would emancipate her (basically kick her out and offer NO support) the school would pay for tuition, room, board, books, supplies and spending money. We of course did not do that. It has all worked out though. She will be graduating in about a month with a degree in Architectural Interior Design with a 3.85 GPA.

My youngest maintained about a 3.8 GPA in HS with a 25 ACT score and received NO scholarship offers (of course the state lottery scholarship was available)…again thanks to dad making too much money. She got a couple of athletic scholarship offers but she decided to be a full time student…with a life (as she put it).

It doesn’t bother me much…because I can and did afford to pay for their education. It did bother them some because they felt they had worked as hard or harder than others and received little “reward” for their efforts in the way of scholarships. If nothing else it would have been nice as recognition for their accomplishments. I told them it is the way of our society and their “reward” and “recognition” will come later in life as they use the skills, knowledge and work ethic it took to attain those grades.

Again, good luck to you daughter. Convince her to work hard, make good grades and start now taking lots of "practice" ACT/SAT tests.;)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Rivrrat
    edited April 2008
    Thanks all for your comments, I am a proud dad.
    Phasearray wrote: »

You wouldn't think she's a smart nerdy girl.

She plays soccer for me two seasons a year, and I use her as a field enforcer due to her naturally nasty disposition. I suppose in that instance she is a chip of the old block.:p
    Congrats!!! Do something nice for that great young lady you got.

Every time she makes honor roll, we take out to a celebratory dinner at a resturaunt of her choice.....I'm getting really tired of her picking the Red lobster.;)
  • schwarcw
    schwarcw Posts: 7,335
    edited April 2008
    Congrats! You and your daghter have a lot to be proud of. Good luck on a bright future.
    Carl

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited April 2008
    Congrats! That's awesome! Tell her we're proud of her.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited April 2008
    schwarcw wrote: »
    Congrats! You and your daghter have a lot to be proud of. Good luck on a bright future.

plus 1, job well done.
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited April 2008
    Rivrrat,
    I think our daughters should meet. Mine is a senior this year and heading off to Simpson College this fall. She's kept all A's, taken almost every advanced and AP class she could, though she did take a music class this year that kept her from being #1 in her class because the 9 ranked above her didn't take music. She got a overall 32 on her ACT last year, she retook it and got a 31, but upped her Science category to 34 and Math to 33. She got a half-tuition off scholarship from Simpson, pretty good, but half of insane is still ridiculous. ;)
  • Rivrrat
    edited April 2008
    petrym wrote: »
    Rivrrat,
    I think our daughters should meet. Mine is a senior this year and heading off to Simpson College this fall. She's kept all A's, taken almost every advanced and AP class she could, though she did take a music class this year that kept her from being #1 in her class because the 9 ranked above her didn't take music. She got a overall 32 on her ACT last year, she retook it and got a 31, but upped her Science category to 34 and Math to 33. She got a half-tuition off scholarship from Simpson, pretty good, but half of insane is still ridiculous. ;)

Good on you, you're doing something right. You should be very proud of her accomplishments.

I'm skeeered of what college is going to do to my retirement fund.:eek:

I really just hope my daughter can keep it up, or at least keep trying through HS. She starts honors english next year.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited April 2008
    Ahhh.....don't worry about it.After you spend all that coin to put her thru school,she'll fall in love,get married and want kids.....hopefully in that order.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Rivrrat
    edited April 2008
    tonyb wrote: »
    Ahhh.....don't worry about it.After you spend all that coin to put her thru school,she'll fall in love,get married and want kids.....hopefully in that order.

WRONG.... :mad:

We've invested all this time in our daughters to support us in our old age.:D
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited April 2008
    Rivrrat wrote: »
    WRONG.... :mad:

We've invested all this time in our daughters to support us in our old age.:D

I have this vision......of the look on your future son-in-laws face as you daughter says to him..." Honey,dad's going to come live with us.":)
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable