A/D/S speaker question

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Well I have some A/D/S 320, and 325 component speakers from like 1990. They were the best speakers I had heard in a car, but now I have been converted to Higher Fi how do you think they stack up against the newer speakers? I see them going for $300+ a set in the used market. I love vintage Polk sound, and nice silk tweeters. Should I sell them, and get a set of mid-line coax's? Should I keep them? I can mount 5 1/4's in the doors. I have a PQ-10 amp to drive them, and a nice older Alpine head unit. I listen to the radio for the most part, and don't care about not having mp3's.
Thanks
Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited April 2008
    a/d/s has always made very good stuff. If you liked them back in the day, no reason to get rid of them - especially no reason to go with a lower grade speaker. True, HA is more hi-fi but that doesnt mean you have to have sub-par sound in your car. Kepp em, use em, be happy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2008
    Great hifi knows no timeline, I will take A/D/S separates driven by Soundstream Reference/Rubicon gear any day...............
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • ben62670
    edited April 2008
    Thanks guys. The reason I asked is I thought Infinity middle of the road stuff was HiFi teamed with my JVC top of the line 130wpc receiver:o Now I can't really enjoy that stuff anymore. I just didn't want to take the time to do a nice install, and then find out they were too bright...
    Again
    Thanks guys
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • Dennis Gardner
    Dennis Gardner Posts: 4,861
    edited April 2008
    A/D/S was never called bright. In fact, they were considered too laid back for some guys with louder cars running at speed. Those went for Focals, MB Quart etc, to bump the highs.

A/D/S was the gear of choice for the euro luxury cars doing installs. Sound Quality was the order of the day.
    HT Optoma HD25 LV on 80" DIY Screen, Anthem MRX 300 Receiver, Pioneer Elite BDP 51FD Polk CS350LS, Polk SDA1C, Polk FX300, Polk RT55, Dual EBS Adire Shiva 320watt tuned to 17hz, ICs-DIY Twisted Prs, Speaker-Raymond Cable

2 Channel Thorens TD 318 Grado ZF1, SACD/CD Marantz 8260, Soundstream/Krell DAC1, Audio Mirror PP1, Odyssey Stratos, ADS L-1290, ICs-DIY Twisted , Speaker-Raymond Cable
  • ben62670
    edited April 2008
    I remember speaker hunting, and the A/D/S was soo much sweeter than the MB quarts I was looking at at the time. I am so glad I still have 2 sets of my A/D/S's. Even with the PQ10 pumping 40wpc to them they cranked some clear tunes, and turned some heads:) I will be making some dash pods in the near future;)
    Thanks
    Ben