Went to opening day yesterday and..

Strong Bad
Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
edited April 2008 in The Clubhouse
I was bored out my ****!

I was at Camden Yards for the Orioles home opener and even when they scored 2 runs to lead off the bottom of the first, I found myself bored!

I think with the insane salaries, ticket prices (I did not pay) and concession prices, I just can't get excited about Baseball any longer.

A-Rod alone makes more than the entire Florida Marlins team. So does Jason Giambi. A-Rod makes $28 Mil this season.

Yeah, the O's lost to the Tampa Bay Devil Rays.

Eff baseball!
No excuses!
Post edited by Strong Bad on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited April 2008
    that's why you gotta stick with the minor league teams.. that's where baseball is still fun to watch.. plus the hot dogs and beer are better and less expensive ;)

I'm just curious... if you would have had to pay.. for your ticket, food, drinks, PARKING the car.. how much would that have cost you? ballpark figure ;)
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    A very good estimate for just me buying a single ticket (where we were sitting) for opening day and all you mentioned...$100. That would be very close. I got my ticket for free and didn't buy anything at the game.

I had thought about hitting a minor league game since we have some teams close by.

I find it very hard to get into MLB any longer due to the salaries and insane cost of going to games. The O's cut Jay Gibbons last week. They have to absorb and pay out his $12 mil contract. Dude can sit on his **** at home and do absolutely NOTHING and make $12 Mil.

College Lacrosse is where it's at right now. Phenominal sport!
    No excuses!
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited April 2008
    IRL Racing is where its at in May!!!
  • m00npie
    m00npie Posts: 697
    edited April 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    The O's cut Jay Gibbons last week. They have to absorb and pay out his $12 mil contract. Dude can sit on his **** at home and do absolutely NOTHING and make $12 Mil.

The loss is substantial, but nothing compared to Albert Belle. The O’s seem to have to deal with this more than any other team that I know of. And it’s especially hard for them considering they share a division with the Sox and Yankees. Albert Belle, Chris Hoiles, Scott Erickson, Jay Gibbons among others were all either released and or hurt while getting paid decent contracts. At least the tractor mechanic (Hoiles) remained active with the O’s minor league teams while still getting paid his final year.

Albert still has the highest grand theft of anyone in the league with more than 40 million in guaranteed money for getting hurt and retiring after 2 of 5 years. I believe the insurance company paid a good potion of that but it’s still ridiculous. If they could change one thing about the sport, it would be to eliminate the guaranteed contracts.

Oh yeah, and get rid of the player’s union.
  • MillerLiteScott
    MillerLiteScott Posts: 2,561
    edited April 2008
    Baseball is dead to me.
    I like speakers that are bigger than a small refrigerator but smaller than a big refrigerator:D
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited April 2008
    It's the Tampa Bay Rays now,no Devil. I dunno why...........
  • Strong Bad
    edited April 2008
    daboyz wrote: »
    It's the Tampa Bay Rays now,no Devil. I dunno why...........

Good lord, what PC **** did the word Devil offend?

Yeah, the Albert Belle fiasco tops the list of continued Orioles curses.

This one ranks up there...in 1991 they traded Curt Schilling, Steve Finley and Pete Harnisch to the Astros for Glenn Davis. Davis's neck problems made this deal a complete disaster for the O's. Davis didn't make it half a season.

I want to be a fan, but I just can't!
    No excuses!
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited April 2008
    I never liked baseball- even w/ the Bosox in the series- I just don't care. They make too much money and they're UNION! WTF!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • strider
    strider Posts: 2,568
    edited April 2008
    Iron Bird games are fun and cheap. The stadium's a miniature version of Camden Yards, most of the seats are great, there's even a picnic area where you can lay a blanket down and chill. I haven't been to Bowie or Fredneck, but I have seen the park in Salisbury and it looks pretty cool as well.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco