New amp and setup questions

Nick14874
Nick14874 Posts: 18
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have these questions in another thread but it got off topic so I am reposting here. I had 2 sonys and 2 polks the polks were powered by a 1500watt peak kicker 5 channel and the sonys were powered by a 750 watt peak bazooka monoblock i wanted louder so I took the sonys out and I bought another pair of polks the same vented box... It is not near as loud as it was with the sonys though. I was told this was due to my subs being more for good sounds than being loud and I also was told that the sonys were creatign more vibration because they were sealed and now I have 2 ported boxes. So I was told to upgrade to a better amp so i just ordered a Hifonics 900x1 @ 2 ohms and 1200x1 @ 1 ohm and both my sonys are db's and 2 ohms. Im try to figure out what the best way is to set all this up now... Should I even try to run all 4 off this one super d mono or should I hook one pair up to the hifonics and hook the other pair to the kicker. Or should i just return the amp and buy a different one that is 100$ more expensive but is 1200rms @ 2 ohms and 2000rms @ 1 ohm? I was told that each sub is 4 ohms and the box together is 2 ohms so if I twist the wires and put them into the hifonics that im only getting 600rms a box and 300 a sub. Although that does not make since because im new to all this I thought the lower you got in ohms the better and louder it got and the higher in ohms it went down. So I was informed i was getting 900rms a sub but then I was told instead all 4 are getting 1200 rms @ 1 ohm and its split between the 4? Im just so lost and have wasted so much money and I just want my system banging... Sorry to anyone who has been trying to explain this to me im not very edjucated on any of this yet I just need to know what to do.
Post edited by Nick14874 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    An amp makes X amount of power. It has no idea how many subs are on it, it just 'sees' a single ohm load.

If I had 10 speakers on a 1000w amp, each speaker is getting 100w.
    If I had 1 speaker on the same 1000w amp, at the same ohm load, the one speaker is getting 1000w.
    If I have 100 speakers on the same 1000w amp, at the same ohm load, each speaker is getting 10w.

You are correct in saying that the lower ohm load, the more power is generated.

So if I had your amp on a single 1 ohm sub, that sub would get 1200w. If I had your amp on a single 2 ohm sub, it would get 900w.

"So what does x1 mean? I thought if a amp was like 900rmsx1 @ 2 ohms that ment if i had a 2 ohm box each sub is getting 900rms? Do you not think that I would be better off running the hifonics amp to one pair @ 900rms for 2 ohms and then running the kicker with 420 rms to the other? Or would i be better off buying the hifnoics with 2000rms @ 1 ohm? Or what? Im so lost man I just upgraded my sony subs to another set of polks and it hits worse than before and im trying to get it way louder than before and everything is going down hill!! sorry"
    'x1' means by one channel. So your amp is 1200x1@1 ohm.

That means, at a 1 ohm load, youre going to get 1200watts of output from a single channel. You can wire multiple subs to a single channel, thats not a problem.

If you have a 900watt amp @ 2 ohms, and your box is 2 ohms, that means the box, as a whole, is getting 900 watts. But that is split between the two subs, so 450w each.

You would be better off getting the single 2000wx1@1ohm amp, then having it professionally installed. Or at least, once you get it installed, take it to a shop and have them look over it to make sure everything is right. Shouldnt cost more than $20.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Nick14874
    edited March 2008
    So what im trying to figure out is should i just return the polks and the hifonics and keep the sony and polks that were pounding nice or should I keep all 4 polks run the hifonics @ 2ohms getting 900rms and then the kicker that has 1500watts peak or do you think that the hifonics that is 100$ more that is 2000rms @ 1 ohm will pound real hard? Because the bazooka going to the sonys and the kicker going to the polks punded and i wanted more and i thought the polks would do that...
  • Nick14874
    edited March 2008
    My friend says this is how I need to do it and that you guys are thinking im trying to do it a different way... What do you this of this...

Synyster Gates: only if ur subs are in parrell series in the box, ive wired compition systems that win awards i know what im doing possibly u are not doing something right,but if u have ur amp bridged turned all the way up and ur subs are wired 2 ohm that amp is 900 RMS at 2 ohm at 13.4 volts meaning it pushes out 900 RMS if ur SUBS are wired right that means you can push 900 to each sub
    Synyster Gates: he is talking in parrell
    Synyster Gates: wiring from sub to sub to sub to sub to amp
    Synyster Gates: not
    Synyster Gates: sub to amp sub to amp sub to amp sub to amp like ur going to have to do to run 2 ohm load to all 4 subs.
    Synyster Gates: when u ru
    Synyster Gates: sub to sub to sub to sub to amp
    Synyster Gates: ur in a parrel series
    Synyster Gates: that power then is at a whole
    Synyster Gates: and split between the series
    Synyster Gates: its easy just run a wire for 1 sub in each box out the port because in the boxes how they are wired is parrelled,just run 1 wire out the port so u can run them all to the amp.
    Synyster Gates: if u wire Stright
    Synyster Gates: sub to amp
    Synyster Gates: it reads that sub and each sub wired like that as a whole
    Synyster Gates: then ur be able to push 900 RMS @ 2 ohm 13.4 load
    Synyster Gates: each sub
    Synyster Gates: but
    Synyster Gates: its simple bro
    Synyster Gates: + to - on all subs to on amp
    Synyster Gates: u dont change anything
    Synyster Gates: so
    Synyster Gates: u got 1 wire hook up on the back
    Synyster Gates: leave that on 1 sub
    Synyster Gates: run 1 wire out the port to the amp
    Synyster Gates: so ur not drilling a hole
    Synyster Gates: U must run wires from each sub,to the amps BRIDGED marked + and - connections,not box to amp box to amp wired that way u will be in a parrelled series,wired sub to amp will run it 2 ohm load a sub not as a parrell seried whole,but as a sub whole.
    Synyster Gates: its not a science
    Synyster Gates: ur wiring coils to coils making all them coils a whole togeather
    Synyster Gates: u want to wire coil to amp
    Synyster Gates: making each coil a whole

Someone please explain this to me like im a 4 year old because I have no clue how to do this and I really want the most out of this amp like he told me I would get but i have no clue what he was talking about..
  • exalted512
    edited March 2008
    Its hard to read without the other half of the conversation, but from what I can tell, your friend is an idiot.

If you have a 900 watt amp and you have 2 subs, then each sub is getting 450 watts, period, end of story.

And you can not bridge a 1 channel amp. Bridging consists of taking 2 channels, and combining them to make one. If you only have one channel to start out with...well, you get the picture.

I think your biggest problem is listening to your friend, when you should be listening to me;)
    -Cody
  • exalted512
    edited March 2008
    Lets put it in these terms, since everyone understands money.

You have $900. You have 2 bills to pay. With your $900, can you give each $900 or will you only be able to give each $450?
    -Cody
  • Nick14874
    edited March 2008
    Will you please personal message or email me @ nick14874@yahoo.com i just have a few questions to get straight because i listen to both sides and i trust you guys I just need some answers from someone who knows what there talking about...
  • exalted512
    edited March 2008
    My AIM screen name is exalted512.
    -Cody
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Each sub box is 2 ohm mono.

Your amp will do 1200 watts into 1 ohm. Check the manual for bridging directions.

Wire each + from the subs to the + of the bridged amp. Repeat for all -'s. Set your gains and you are done.

Each speaker will receive 300 watts, as exalted has pointed out. Aren't they rated at 360 RMS and 720 peak? I say this is plenty of power considering you have 4 of them. The 2000 watt amp is gonna hit very hard.