questions on MM6 and 400.4

shanner
shanner Posts: 6
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a pair of mm6 momo components and a 400.4 momo amp. In the speaker manual and amp manual it describes bi-amping using the pre-eq button on the amp. After having the speakers connected for about 2 years using the passive crossovers that they came with, I finally decided that I wanted to bi-amp them and get the most out of them. In less than 30 minutes I had blown both tweeters. Any ideas on what could have possibly gone wrong. Gain was turned up about half to two thirds of the way. That is the only thing that I can think is that I had the gain turned up too high. The problem I'm having with that theory is just how much quieter the sound was compared to running through the passive crossovers. Also do you recommend bi-amping like this? Have you heard of any other issues or am I just an idiot? Last question, instead of using a y-adapter for the rca's from the head unit would it be wrong to run two sets of rca's one from the front and one from the rear output on the head unit, effectively allowing the fader to do some adjustment without having to mess with the amp. I wouldn't think it would make a difference since both the front and rears have the same output levels and they are not a discrete audio signal like in a home theater set-up.

Thanks for any responses regarding this.
Post edited by shanner on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    I dont understand why the tweeters blew. The Pre-EQ feature was designed specifically for the MM6 and MMC6500 system to have the correct crossover frequencies.

Maybe you have a faulty amp and the Pre-EQ isnt working properly. Surely you didnt wire them up backwards (i.e. tweeters off the rear channels).

Bi-amping is the best way to run your components and the Pre-EQ feature is very handy.

It is best to run the front and rear outputs off the HU.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • shanner
    edited March 2008
    I'm absolutely positive I didn't hook them up backwards. I used a 14ga 4 conductor wire that is color coded, the fronts or tweeters hooked up using the red and black pair of wires, and the rears or mid-bass hooked up using the white and green wires. I'm actually a home theater installer and this is how we do this for bi-amping and making single runs to multiple speakers. It is something I'm very accustomed too. As far as hooking to the HU maybe I didn't explain it properly, but the question I guess is can I run two sets of rca's off of my headed unit, one connected to the front rca out and one connected to rear rca out to the amplifier, instead of running one set from the front rca out on the hu to a y-adapter and then in to the amp on both front and rear channels. How would I go about getting the pre-eq button checked to ensure proper functionality?
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    Thats what I meant. Its better to use the front and rear ouputs off the HU as opposed to using only the fronts and splitting them.

For checking the Pre-EQ, turn it off and hook a mid up to the front channels. You should have a full range signal. Now hit the Pre-EQ. The crossover point is 4 KHz if memory serves so the all the mid and bottom end should drop out and all you hear is the highs.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • shanner
    edited March 2008
    so I just took the mids out and hooked them up as you suggested and the pre-eq is working properly.

The way you described is the way I had them hooked up, using two sets of rca's from the hu to the amp.

Any other thoughts. I'm just afraid when I send these in I will get a new set back and fry those again.
  • shanner
    edited March 2008
    or should I just bridge the speakers and use the passive crossovers when I get the new ones in.
  • Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited March 2008
    Maybe you should try not being retarded. Just a thought.

Sorry guys, he's a buddy of mine so I reserve the right to verbally bash him and make him want to cry. I do it at work, now on the 'net! **** yes.

He called me on this situation and we talked it over and double checked E V E R Y T H I N G. Nothing came to mind as to where the issue could be. I think the EQ settings didn't work and it was sending full range to the tweets. At least Polk CS is taking care of him.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • shanner
    edited March 2008
    oh how I love to hate you. I'm surprised you didn't say something along the lines of, the speakers were just so embarrassed being hooked up in such a chick car for so long that they finally decided to commit suicide. Thanks
  • Toxis
    edited March 2008
    hahaha dammit!!!! I'm actually ashamed of myself now. Damn it. At least you can admit it though.

he, yes it's a he, drives a Mitsubishi Eclipse. Chick car.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    Really, the only way I seeing you blowing those tweeters is if the pre-eq button wasnt working, or wasnt pushed in?

I had those MM6s on 225w per channel for 3 years before I blew one of the tweeters.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    Dont lie Toxis.

No self respecting dude would EVER drive an Eclipse. I mean Im sure a cross dresser might, but not a real dude.

:D

• Toxis
    edited March 2008
    There's no self respect with this dude mac. You should see his "wife." She's a peach. (Not a joke either! He'll confirm)

• shanner
    edited March 2008
    Oh come on!!! Self respect aside do we really need to bring that into this conversation about what could have possibly went wrong with my speakers. Look I know where I went wrong in life. Step 2 is fixing the problem I know, I'm still working on that though. And she is NOT my wife!!
  • Toxis
    edited March 2008
    haha Maybe you should follow the path of the tweeters. Get blown and get out of there. haha!! I say something's wrong with the amp's EQ settings.

• MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    ROFLMFAO!!!!!

This is the first time I think Ive ever laughed so hard at an inside joke I wasnt in on. Still funny tho. I recall Biff from Back to the Future. "So why dont you make like a tweeter and get blown!" :D

• Toxis
    edited March 2008
    Lol! You can use that if you give credit where credit is due. :D

• Toxis
    edited April 2008
    So shanner, have you shown the wife this thread yet? You should. She'd love it. Might start yet another fight, that would be different than every other night. lol