Making it rain

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
No, not strip club/Pacman Jones style:

http://www.technologyreview.com/Infotech/20463/

I've read about it before, but its hard to fathom they'll actually try to go through with it. I wonder what this does to weather patterns in other parts of the world, etc...I could understand combatting a drought or something along those lines, but the olympics? Not sure if this is "play God" worthy.
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2008
    They are going to shoot down enemy rain-clouds before they enter the no-fly zone around the stadium. Genius!

I wish I was the Big Blue sales person that closed the IBM p575 supercomputer deal with the Big Red. Bet he/she got some sick commission off that deal.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited March 2008
    And to think, people worry about global warming. This raises the level of **** with mother nature to an entirely new high.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    I remember when they screwed with mother nature here in the US. In fact long-time residents of Rapid City SD probably remember it well.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • michael_w
    michael_w Posts: 2,813
    edited March 2008
    China has been cloud seeding for years now. So has the US, Russia, South Africa and a few others. You're right in that it can help temporarily relieve droughts but there's a lot to the whole process. Things like soil contamination with the silver iodide being released has stirred a lot of controversy.

I think it's pretty cool. Seems a little bit of a waste to do it for something like the Olympics though.