Bummer...

TroyD
TroyD Posts: 13,077
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Well, as they say about the best laid plans....

So, a couple weeks ago, I'm perusing the 'gon and run accross a pair of Quad ESL-63 USA Monitors with the desireable Arcici stands. So, I'm thiniking, hell, why not bag these, sell mine and I've got an upgrade AND stands at little cost to yours truly. Sounds good, right??

So, a couple days go buy, I'm thinking and I email the seller (who is a good guy)...he's got a buyer for the speakers but he doesn't want the stands. Ok, a little bummer but I'll still take the stands and I'm in no way dissatisfied with my speakers. A couple days later, seller emails me and says the buyer on the speakers has flaked, am I still interested? We discuss price, I'm happy and I post mine for sale (no bites here though!).

Come back from St Louis, the next day come home and three boxes unceremoniously dumped in my driveway (f*cking UPS). The box with the stands is battered to ****. However, they are just pieces of metal so no biggie. I open the speakers (original boxes/packing) fearing the worst but, so far, everything looks good. These are PRISTINE. Even better than mine (and mine are no slouches). So, I schlep them into the cave, hook them up and one speaker is making all KINDS of noise. FAAAAAAAAAK. So, I pull of the endcap and pull down the sock and the dustcover is loose and has some holes. If the speakers are flexed too much, this can happen. Ok, no biggie....this is a relatively minor issue (so I think). I call up Randy at QS&D who have conveniently moved to Myrtle Beach and he says bring them up.

So, yesterday get up to MB, find QS&D with a bit of difficulty (I gotta get one of these GPS doohickies). So, I'm bs'ing with Randy (who is a hell of a nice guy and moved his business so he could be closer to better golf!) as he inspects the dustcovers. He gets the mylar prepped to start doing the covers and he sorta squints and frowns (this is called foreshadowing, for those that did take literature in jr high). He starts poking the electrostatic panels and his countenance becomes downright dour. About this time, my **** begins to pucker. I'll cut to the chase and out of a possible 8 ESL panels in two speakers, 7 are completely separated from the frames. In other words, not long for this world.

Anyone care to venture what an ESL panel goes for? If you thought 400 a pop, you'd be absolutely right! 2800 bucks for 7 panels, plus another Franklin for the dustcovers...and did I mention labor at 65 bucks an hour?? So, suffice to say, my no cost upgrade scheme has unraveled like a KMart sweater.

Fortunately, the seller seems to be a stand up dude and will refund my cabbage, but, man, what a nightmare this is.

BDT
I plan for the future. - F1Nut
Post edited by TroyD on

Comments

• TroyD
    edited March 2008
    On the upshot, I've got several interested parties on my speakers but no one has come accross with the cabbage so pulling mine off the market is very doable.

BDT
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    dude.. sorry. but that would probably ruin my entire year.

that's it. i've now decided to never buy speakers online. only in person.

cool that the seller is a stand up guy.. we've all heard the horror stories.

better luck next time.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    That really sucks, but glad to hear the seller is righteous and working with you.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2008
    that sucks.

could that have hapenned in shipping? or is it the old "there old speakers, and this **** happens" principal?

hope you get your money back either way
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited March 2008
    Bummer indeed. However, there are four MM104's for sale in the FM. Add a 2.2uF cap to them and you're golden.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• TroyD
    edited March 2008
    I dunno, damage in shipping is extremely possible but, you know, the panels are 13 years old..so, who knows?

Ideally, UPS pays the seller the claim and I get my money back, everyone is happy.

BDT
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited March 2008
    That really sucks. I hope it all works out.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    Hope all works out for ya....I am allways leary of shipping something as delicate as quads.
    Much rather do a local sale on something like that,but hey,you gave it a shot anyway.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2008
    So we spin this for extra sympathy cash from TLW to make BDT all better.

sucks bro.

RT1
  • TroyD
    edited March 2008
    No, the TLW sympathy fund is nonexistent.

I do have a question for the peanut gallery, has anyone had any experience with the UPS claims process? What do they do with the damaged item?

If it were a case of, seller gets his money back, I get my money back (ie everyone is even)....if the speakers are in limbo, ****, I'd really think hard about getting them refurbed, I'd have to mortgage a kidney but it would be worth it to come out with, essentially, a brand new pair.

Troy
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,536
    edited March 2008
    That's gotta be heart breaking, especially since the physical condition was so good. Sorry to hear that bud.

I HATE having speakers shipped. I have considered many times about buying some used Inifinity RSIIIb's, but I just don't want the stress with shipping.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • John in MA
    John in MA Posts: 1,010
    edited March 2008
    I'm always nervous about shipping high-end audio stuff without factory crating, etc. I've never bought anything big that wasn't road-trip-possible. Same for selling. I sold my Marantz 2600 locally for $1K less than open market because I was sure UPS would find some way to fawk it up.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Troy - At least you'll have another pair in brand new condition. You chose to love those speakers....price of ownership brother. I have felt your pain....can I get an amen!

John - Whatever. The condition of it probably dictated that price.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • TroyD
    edited March 2008
    I really don't have any heartache about shipping and I've never really had anything dicked up. I've bought and sold a LOT of speakers so it was bound to happen sooner or later, as Mark points out, it's the cost of doing business.

Yeah, if I can get my hands on them...there will be a fire sale for sure (anyone need a pair of 2.3tl's with RDO tweeters?). Beyond the Quads, I really have no interest in even listening to another loudspeaker.

BDT
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2008
    The process is the shipper files the claim.
    The claim is denied for improper packaging.
    The shipper appeals.
    The company stalls and hopes you go away.
    The shipper complains.
    The company stalls.
    The shipper demands something.
    The company possibly makes an offer to settle.
    It has taken me 6-12 months with each of the common carriers, in each case they would not pay the full amount I had insured the property for.
    Thats my story, fortunately I had insured each speaker box shipped for full value so I ended up with what the buyer had paid me and the buyer got his money back.

Cut to chase........it going to be a pain in the ****. I chose to settle, you can go to small claims if you wish. Oh, they did not want the item in either case, whether UPS or Fedex.
    The seller is responsible not the buyer.

RT1
  • TroyD
    edited March 2008
    Hopefully, since it's factory packaging.....I dunno, I just hate anyone to go through that hassle.

The insurance is SUCH a scam. It should be a case of they inspect the package and if the packing is lacking, they not accept it. Obviously I'm preaching to the choir.

BDT
  • John in MA
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    John - Whatever. The condition of it probably dictated that price.

What'd I say to get you going? I'm just not a fan of shipping stuff, that's all. Weird stuff can happen. Nothing else implied.

For what it's worth, it was mint with manual and had been in my extended family since new. I was looking to cut a local buyer a deal and I found one within 13 minutes of posting the ad.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Troy, this sucks for ya' man. I'm sorry to hear of this happening. The hassle is not gonna be a rose parade, but at least you still have your tunes until this is resolved.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • TroyD
    edited March 2008
    Really, I'm not the one that's out....the seller is going to refund my money tommorow. I just hate it for him is all as he's a nice guy.

BDT
  • John in MA
    edited March 2008
    I think it's outstanding you found an honorable seller. What was the cause of the damage, anyway? Purely rough handling, underweight shipping packaging, random strangeness?
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2008
    Glad to hear that the seller is working things out with you. Worst thing is a seller that takes your money and doesn't care...
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!