DX 3065 problem

wodom1
wodom1 Posts: 1,054
edited October 2001 in Car Audio & Electronics
i just replaced the front speakers in my truck with the DX 3065 component system and i have a slight problem i was hoping someone knows the answer to. there is a static sound always coming out of the tweeters not unlike a record player. you can't hear it when the music is playing, except during slow and quiet parts of the song and when i switch tracks. it's just a hissing sound. i was wondering if it might be in the speaker wire somewhere? my setup is this: speaker level to RCA converter off the receiver to amp. amp to crossover, crossover to speakers/tweeters. any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks.
-josh o.
"I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

SOPA. Bow down before me, ****. Want a cookie?

Polk Audio LSi15
Polk Audio LSiC
Polk Audio FXi30
Samsung LN-T4061F 40" 1080P LCD HDTV
Sony Playstation 3
Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
Rotel 985 MK II
Rotel 1072 CDP
Soundstage Vacuum II tube pre
Post edited by wodom1 on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited September 2001
    the buzzing may be coming from an improper ground. Try to run your ground wire as short as possible. If this doesn't help it could be caused by your ignition. They make special plug wires which are suppost to help stop the noise. Other than that check all your wire connections. I hope any of this will help.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • wodom1
    edited September 2001
    thanks. i'll try everything you said. my ground wire is about 9" but i don't need that much, so i'll probably cut the excess off. thanks for the tips.
    -josh
    "I got into the music business thinking it was really radical, that it wasn't really a business at all, that it was a lot of people being artistic and creative. Not true, and it made me very depressed."

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Polk Woodpecker Posts: 0
    edited September 2001
    Where are your passive crossovers mounted? If they are too close to a major power source, noise can be induced into the system. Another possibility is that the noise was there before, but it couldn't be heard through your old speakers. Troubleshooting noise problems is a pain in the neck. It really comes down to trial and error. Try unplugging the RCA's with the system on. If the noise stops, it's coming from your RCA's or your head unit. Another thing to try is an external power source. Try powering your head unit off a power supply or even a 12 volt battery(cordless drill). If this solves the problem, the noise is coming from your head unit power. If the noise follows the RPM's of the engine, you have alternator whine. Like I said it's a headache. I've only mentioned a few of the possibilities. Let us know what happens.
    Josh-Polk Installer
  • wodom1
    edited September 2001
    i've got a single cab F-150 and the amp and crossovers are mounted on the back wall behind the drivers seat. the woofers don't have any static coming out of them, just the tweeters. there were aftermarket fullrange speakers in before i replaced them, and their tweeters never made any noticeable noise. the crossovers are directly over the amp-could that be a problem? there's also another 4-channel amp playing 1 10" sub and a pair of Polk EX-572a's (my rear speakers) about 1' away. could the proximity be a problem?
    thanks for the earlier tips. i'll try everything and post what happens.

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • wodom1
    edited October 2001
    i redid the ground wire and still have hum. i've noticed that in between tracks it goes away only to come back as soon as the next track starts. it's not very loud, but it's aggravating when i listen to any of my jazz cd's or anything that's relatively quiet. with most of my other music, i can't hear anything though. anyone have any more suggestions?
    -josh

Thom Yorke of Radiohead

Polk Audio LSi15
    Polk Audio LSiC
    Polk Audio FXi30
    Sony Playstation 3
    Outlaw Model 990 Pre/Pro
    Rotel 985 MK II
    Rotel 1072 CDP
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited October 2001
    does it get louder as your engine rpm increases? If so its your ignition. If it is your ignition go to an autoparts store and they can suggest some parts which could help to stop the noise.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing