Life in the future

jflail2
jflail2 Posts: 2,868
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
from a 40 year old perspective:

http://blog.modernmechanix.com/2008/03/24/what-will-life-be-like-in-the-year-2008/?Qwd=./MechanixIllustrated/11-1968/forty_years_future&Qif=forty_years_future_0.jpg&Qiv=thumbs&Qis=XL#qdig

Pretty neat read, and surprising how much of it has come true. I want to know when the 4 hour work days kick in though...
2007 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

2010 Club Polk Fantasy Football Champ

2011 Club Polk Football Pool Champ

"It's like a koala bear crapped a rainbow in my brain!"
Post edited by jflail2 on

Comments

• zingo
    zingo Posts: 11,258
    edited March 2008
    That's crazy. Some parts were pretty out there, but other parts were creepy similar.
  • mightymouse
    mightymouse Posts: 254
    edited March 2008
    With this looming energy crisis, I think in another 40 years, we'll be seeing horses and buggies again.
  • bradm6406
    bradm6406 Posts: 39
    edited March 2008
    It's pretty funny that they thought we'd be taking holidays on satellite hotels, and driving in fully automated cars, but not everyone would have a computer at home.

"Not every family has its private computer. Many families reserve time on a city or regional computer to serve their needs."

I have 5 computers in my house (not counting phones or PDAs that are basically computers too), and there are only 2 people in the house old enough to use them.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    It's also pretty funny that they said heart disease would be eliminated by diet and we'd be able to allow for steak like meals 2 times a day.

Little did they know that factory farming would actually make steak cheap enough so no need for a steak substitute and diet would cause heart disease to be one of the biggest killers in the united states.

Who'd have thought that in 40 years? I wonder what cool way to kill ourselves we'll think of in another 40 years.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    I wonder what cool way to kill ourselves we'll think of in another 40 years.

I don't think steak is doing a good enough job, considering the mortality rate is at its lowest in recorded history and the world population is climbing pretty darned fast.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited March 2008
    Great read. My, how things haven't changed in terms of mankinds desire for convenience and leisure.

Thx for the article.
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    http://www.americanheart.org/presenter.jhtml?identifier=4478

I'd say steak and fast food are doing a pretty good job.

World population is climbing fast, US population not so much.