Canon customer support

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I am pretty impressed with Canon's customer support. My 3 yr old, out of warranty PowerShot A70 developed an issue with the image screen and I did a Google on the problem to see if it was something common. I found that this problem was widespread among many Canon models and that Canon was accepting them all back for repair, regardless of warranty status. They send you a prepaid shipping label, repair the camera and send it back at no charge. This is a documented problem with a faulty imaging sensor. If you've got a Canon digital with a distorted image screen you ought to check into this. It doesn't matter if you're the original owner or not. Pretty damn slick if you ask me. This must be costing them a bundle. Of course they are probably making a little off of repairs that don't qualify but probably not enough to cover it all.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• haimoc
    haimoc Posts: 1,031
    edited March 2008
    I also had very good experience with Canon products' support and service. If you decide to buy another Canon point-and-shoot (PS) digital camera, try Canon G9. This camera is the best PS digital camera on the market, now.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    I agree. I had a lens that was sticking when in autofocus mode. It was a few months old. Packed it up, sent it to Canon. I got an email the day they received it saying it would be fixed under warranty and back to me in 7 business days. I recieved it back in perfect working order and no cost to me (other than the $6 to send it to them). Good to deal with IMO.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2008
    I just got my camera back. Not only is the imaging problem fixed for free, but I had dropped the camera once and put a crack in the rear corner of the body. They replaced that for free also. I had a hunch they might do that because I read somewhere else that they had done something similar for someone else. Unbelievable.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2008
    Also, there's a ton of Canons on Ebay for sale on the cheap that have been sent in for this repair already. Someone must have bought up a bunch of broken ones from people who didn't know they could get them fixed for nothing. I picked up a nice PowerShot S400 for $67 shipped.