Ford sells Jaguar and Land Rover to India's Tata Motors

2»

Comments

• Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    tcrossma wrote: »
    Luxury and Mercury in the same sentence? I don't know how many years it's been since I've thought of Mercury as being a luxury car, but i'm leaning towards never :)

But seriously, American auto makers need to really start waking up and making what people want, which is way more towards what the foreign auto makers have been doing lately than what's been coming off the american production lines. Wake up and start producing real quality products or it's going to sink even further into the abyss.

Maybe you missed the part where I said "near-luxury". Buick is another near-luxury brand. The words are written together to form sentences that convey a thought. All the words mean something and you should read all of them before responding to a post.

As far as making quality vehicles, Ford has been making vehicles that get very high marks for quality. The vehicles don't have the breakthrough styling that Ford once had back in the late 80's when they made waves with the Taurus, Thunderbird and Mustang. But if the styling isn't there to attract the customers, nobody is ever going to drive the cars and see how good they really are.

Go to a Ford dealer and drive something on the lot. Anything on the lot. Car or truck, you'll be surprised at how good a Ford really is.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Looks safe.

Exactly what I am thinking. If you replaced every car in America with one of these - once you consider the reduced emissions, reduced dependency of foreign oil imports, etc. the overall savings in human life from those and other tertiary factors would greatly outweigh any lives lost through accidents in the car.

Wow bobman1235, you went up a notch in my book to be thinking on such a level. Most Americans would just look at the size and not be able to think critically beyond the immediate and make some comment about it being unsafe based on size and weight.

Kudos!

W
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Exactly what I am thinking. If you replaced every car in America with one of these - once you consider the reduced emissions, reduced dependency of foreign oil imports, etc. the overall savings in human life from those and other tertiary factors would greatly outweigh any lives lost through accidents in the car.

:rolleyes: Tell me how much you care about the overall impact on society when you send your teenage kid driving away in this car, and they get killed because it's a piece of junk. I'm sure you'll say to yourself "well, at least society is better off."

I drive a small car that gets decent gas mileage, but it's also safe. It's not a somehow cheaper ripoff of a Ford Festiva. With a rear-mounted engine to boot!
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Maybe you missed the part where I said "near-luxury". Buick is another near-luxury brand. The words are written together to form sentences that convey a thought. All the words mean something and you should read all of them before responding to a post.

Wow, touchy. Firstly though, I was just kind of joking around, thus the smiley. Secondly, let's keep my exact same wording but change "luxury" to "near-luxury", because the same reasoning applies. How's that, did I read it well enough for you this time?
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    tcrossma wrote: »
    Wow, touchy. Firstly though, I was just kind of joking around, thus the smiley. Secondly, let's keep my exact same wording but change "luxury" to "near-luxury", because the same reasoning applies. How's that, did I read it well enough for you this time?

I see the problem now. It's quite clear.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • wizzy
    edited March 2008
    :rolleyes: Tell me how much you care about the overall impact on society when you send your teenage kid driving away in this car, and they get killed because it's a piece of junk.

Probably not much at all, but it wouldn't change the fact that society is better off. In the words of Spock, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    wizzy wrote: »
    Probably not much at all, but it wouldn't change the fact that society is better off. In the words of Spock, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few.

Spock was a fictional alien.

Broad thinking like that is fine for a government forming a set of laws, but as an individual you should be focused on your own well-being first, and the "needs of the many" second. You're ignoring biology if you're thinking you can sacrifice yourself for the good of the world (though you're welcome - and encouraged, as far as I'm concerned - to do it, just don't expect me to).

Not to mention that worry about the "needs of the many" is an illusion, because we, especially in this country, ignore the real problems that aren't politically correct and focus on the ones that are.

Blah blah politics, never mind.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • dpowell
    dpowell Posts: 3,067
    edited March 2008
    I don't know why but for some reason the idea of luxury cars and India makes me think that this would be something I'd see in an Indiana Jones movie.

polkaudio Fully Modded SDA SRS 1.2TLs + Dreadnaught, LSiM706c, 4 X Polk Surrounds + 4 X ATMOS, SVS PB13 Ultra X 2, Pass Labs X1, Marantz 7704, Bob Carver Crimson Beauty 350 Tube Mono Blocks, Carver Sunfire Signature Cinema Grande 400x5, ADCOM GFA 7807, Panasonic UB420, Moon 380D DAC, EPSON Pro Cinema 6050
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited March 2008
    I would NOT be surprized by anything on the Ford lot.
    I've been pretty loyal to American cars. And I've had Almost nothing but
    Fords/Mercury for years. The quality of assembly is very good. The number
    of design defects is horrendous. Let's not even get started there.
    There's something about having a properly torqued spark plug shooting
    out of the cylinder head Easter Sunday that pisses me off. I have the
    repair kit already from another incident. http://www.timesert.com/
    for you guys that might have the same problem.

What the hell would non-car guys do? The answer is get screwed over by
    the Ford dealer or have Firestone or somebody else do a heli-coil that might
    or might not last.
    Ford is in trouble due to their own doing. I really don't care to hear all the
    pro-union or anti-union crap. Most of us don't give a rat's **** who makes the car.
    I only care that when I buy the car/truck that it not be a ticking time bomb
    waiting to blow up about the same time it comes out of warranty
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • wizzy
    edited March 2008
    Spock was a fictional alien.

And Mr. Rogers was a fictional character created by Fred Rogers, but that doesn't make his messages any less valid.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2008
    Go to a Ford dealer and drive something on the lot. Anything on the lot. Car or truck, you'll be surprised at how good a Ford really is.

sister in law just picked up a Ford Edge on lease. sweet ride. reclining rear seats = GENIUS!!!1
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    As far as making quality vehicles, Ford has been making vehicles that get very high marks for quality. The vehicles don't have the breakthrough styling that Ford once had back in the late 80's when they made waves with the Taurus, Thunderbird and Mustang. But if the styling isn't there to attract the customers, nobody is ever going to drive the cars and see how good they really are.

The problem is the only thing the big three wanted to do was sell high margin
    trucks/SUV's. They abandoned cars as a main focus. Dodge seems to have tried
    to keep cars interesting. But they also had to do a lifetime drivetrain
    warranty. The wife loves the Charger, but I'm holding out a while to see
    if they are good or bad. Police departments are bailing bigtime on the classic
    Crown Vics and going to Chargers. In the next year or two, we'll know if
    Dodge quality is up to par or not.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited March 2008
    Seriously though, I saw this coming years (not that many) ago...

TATA makes Land Rover *style* suvs, and they are made with leather...

And seriously, the cars there are the same quality...

And the cars are more reliable for sure.

So ha...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited March 2008
    Police departments are bailing bigtime on the classic
    Crown Vics and going to Chargers.
    They had no choice. I do believe that Ford discontinued the separate body/frame vehicles.
  • Polk addict
    Polk addict Posts: 558
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, they stopped the Victoria/ whatever it is for Mercury frames...
    Chiranth
    hoosier21 wrote:
    Cobra + SDA's = dead amps laying all around.
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, they stopped the Victoria/ whatever it is for Mercury frames...

Nope. Still available to fleets, including ballistic door panels.
    Now that might be usefull!
    https://www.fleet.ford.com/showroom/2008fleetshowroom/2008-CrVicPoliceInt.asp

Looks like the Mercury version is still a consumer option.