New to car audio & have questions

Giddens2k
Giddens2k Posts: 2
edited April 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hello...I am very new to car audio and I have a question about the Polk MM6500 speakers and the Alpine PDX 4-100 Amp I just bought. I see that the speakers have a power range of 10-125 watts RMS and a peak power handling: 250 watts. Right now I have the speakers hooked up to the Alpine 4-100 using just 2 channels. So this means that the tweats are both running on 1 channel using 100w and so are the mids...right? So, the other 2 channels that are not being used which I feel is a big waste. I have been reading some in the forums here that I can bridge / bi-amp (or what ever it is called) to use all 4 channels to power my speakers. In very simple terms can someone help me understand what it is that I need to do to accomplish this. The Alpine instructions are very vauge on how to wire the amp up to do this and I cannot seem to figure it out. Also, will my speakers sound better than they already do by doing this and will they be harmed by putting that much power to them? Not sure if it matters or not but the Head Unit I am using is the Alpine CDA-9884. I welcome any & all advise. I have a lot to learn...Thanks
Post edited by Giddens2k on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Bi-amping wont automatically make your speakers sound better but it will give you the flexibility to make them better. More so than straight wiring.

All you do is run the tweeters off the front channels of the amp and the mids off the rears. The MMC6500's crossover is bi-ampable so run all the wires from the amp thru the crossover to protect your speakers. From there you can now tune the output of the tweeter a lot better in relation to the mids.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Giddens2k
    Giddens2k Posts: 2
    edited March 2008
    cool..thanks for the feedback. I just need to figure out how to plug all the stuff into the PDX 4-100 to use all 4 ch's. I think that is where my challenge is. I never had to ride a short bus to school, but the instructions for this amp are no help at all. LOL
  • Kinetic
    Kinetic Posts: 437
    edited March 2008
    Giddens2k wrote: »
    cool..thanks for the feedback. I just need to figure out how to plug all the stuff into the PDX 4-100 to use all 4 ch's. I think that is where my challenge is. I never had to ride a short bus to school, but the instructions for this amp are no help at all. LOL

yes the PDX instructions sux

channel 1 y 2 should go to the tweets, and channel 3 and 4 to the MIDS

and in the gains, put them at a 1/4 aprox

and then switch the "input channel" change it to the first option "3/4"
    Z
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    Polk Audio SR 6500
    Polk Audio SR 124 DVC
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable

G35
    /////Alpine CDA-9887 HU
    /////Alpine KTX-1000EQ
    /////Alpine PDX-4.150
    /////Alpine PDX-1.1000
    /////Alpine SPX 17PRO
    /////Alpine SWX 1243D
    KnuKonceptz MKS Kable
  • clubvikram
    clubvikram Posts: 27
    edited April 2008
    giddens if you are satisfied plzz tell me so that even i can setup the system