Anyone here know Crystal Reports?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
May not be too complex for someone else, but here's what I need to do.

I have a set of data I'm grouping on Customer, and am trying to figure out a way to find out if item y appears after item x within that group. The tricky part is that item y can also come before item x, but I only care if it comes after. So here's what my data looks like:

Data within the group is sorted by date)

Customer Number 123
Date Item Y
Date Item X
Date Item Y
Date Item Z

Customer Number 456
Date Item Y
Date Item X
Date Item Z

So for Customer Number 123 I'd want the formula to return a 1 or a yes or whatever, but for Customer Number 456 I wouldn't want anything returned since no Item Y comes after Item X.

Here's what I've done so far. I created a running total to count Item x, have this total in every row of the report and at the group level, total resets itself on each group.

Then I have a formula, on every record, that basically says if the running total (above) is greater than 0 and this row is item y, then stamp eith a 1.

All that works great, and when I unhide the details section I can see it's working correctly. So that leaves one last step, which Crystal apparently does NOT support. I need to know at the group level what the total of that formula I created above is. However, when I go to create a running total at the group, the formula field is NOT one of the fields I can choose to total, likely because it's also based on a total...

So it's the very last piece that I'm stuck on.

Any help is appreciated.
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    Can you send the results of your formula to a report, then total the report at the group level?

A BI tool like business objects would make that easier!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    I'm not sure how I would do that. I don't know Crystal all that well. This is a complex report overall, and I was hoping to avoid having to recreate it in SQL, but looks like I may have to go that route...this sucks...
  • MKZ
    MKZ Posts: 1,068
    edited March 2008
    You can do it in MS Reporting Services. Create Matrix report.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it's just that's going to take at least a full day to complete, and was hoping to avoid that
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited March 2008
    I would look to SQL for this. You'll probably have to create two sub-sql calls to calculate the first date occurrence of X and the first date occurreance of Y, and then wrap them in another SQL call that ensures X is less than Y.

Example:

SELECT DISTINCT
    Orders.CustomerID,
    QueryX.XDate,
    QueryY.YDate

FROM
    (
    Orders INNER JOIN
    (
    SELECT
    CustomerID,
    First(Date) as XDate
    FROM Orders
    GROUP BY CustomerID, Item
    HAVING Item="X"
    ) as QueryX
    ON Orders.CustomerID=QueryX.CustomerID
    )

INNER JOIN

(
    SELECT
    CustomerID,
    First(Date) as YDate
    FROM Orders
    GROUP BY CustomerID, Item
    HAVING Item="Y"
    ) as QueryY
    ON Orders.CustomerID=QueryY.CustomerID

WHERE

QueryX.XDate < QueryY.YDate
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited March 2008
    You have to know the location of the parameters you are looking for in the database. Then you have to pray that when you add the next location you are grouping does not make you data invisible. Good luck. I have do trial and error.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.