www.Audiogon.com

SolidSqual
SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
My experience with people and transactions on this website have been absolutely superb. If I can't sell what I got to a Polk brother, then my next stop is right here. I have sold over 25 items and have never had a bad experience from a dishonest seller. Have I been lucky or does this self-proclaimed high-end community of audiophiles live up to its goal of fair and honest dealing?
Post edited by SolidSqual on

Comments

• george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2008
    I've bought/sold a few items there as well,and so far it all been good.
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2008
    So far so good. I only purchase from people with lots of positive feedback.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    I've bought 3 times now, 1st time was a nightmare. Should have known better the guy had little feedback. The other 2 were from Underwood Hifi and couldn't be happier with the service. I highly recommend Underwood Hifi if you plan to buy things new. No one can beat his prices.
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited March 2008
    The first item I bought on Audiogon was my Silver 9t's. I was a bit nervous sending someone I didn't know $1400 to say the least, but the seller was excellent. The amps were exactly as described, and the packing was bulletproof. I've learned to trust the Gon much more than e-prey. The folks that patronize Audiogon seem to care about their equipment and take good care of it. I'm sure there could be some shady characters selling there from time to time, but it's not a popular as e-prey so is probably plauged less often. Also, where else can I get brilliant pebbles?
  • SolidSqual
    edited March 2008
    I just bought my entire system from underwood. I thought I was buying new speakers . . . next thing you know I've sold it all on Audiogon and for the first time in my life I have a completely new never used system. I'm now almost 150 hours in and extremely happy.
  • Mike Reeter
    Mike Reeter Posts: 4,315
    edited March 2008
    Most all of my 2-channel rig was bought on A'gon,except for my Polks...Like new equipment at half the price.

Have also sold several items with no problems at all.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2008
    Looking at my PC system my PC was purchased new, monitor used, speakers used, pre used, amp used, and dac new. Some things I won't buy new anymore because you lose to much when you resell, like amps.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2008
    Audiogon is what allowed me to finish upgrading my system with the gear I wanted at a price I could afford!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    Good place for dealer demo's too.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited March 2008
    Good place. Deals are hit or miss (I mean I was too late to get them).LOL

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • Serendipity
    Serendipity Posts: 6,975
    edited March 2008
    Got scammed well over $1000...never going back there in a long time!!
    polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
    polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
  • cubdog
    cubdog Posts: 835
    edited March 2008
    I've used it twice with no problems.

cubdog
    Shuguang Classic S8MK
    Emotiva XDA-2
    Bel Canto M300 mono blocks
    Bel Canto DAC 1.5
    Squeezebox Touch
    Sony SS-M7
    A/D/S L710
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2008
    I've only had EXCELLENT experiences on AGON. I've probably bought at least 25 things there over the past few years.

Whether it's a $30 cable of a $1500 CD player, everything seems to ship as expected, arrive in good to excellent shape, and always work perfectly. Never an issue to speak of from my side.

I also sell there quite a bit and give as good or better service and products to buyers as they have given me.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Midnite Mick
    Midnite Mick Posts: 1,591
    edited March 2008
    I have bad luck. Everytime I see something that interests me it is US only......has nothing to do with Agon however.
    Modwright SWL 9.0 SE (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Consonance cd120T
    Consonance Cyber 800 tube monoblocks (6Sons Audio Thunderbird PC's with Oyaide 004 terminations)
    Usher CP 6311

Phillips Pronto TS1000 Universal Remote
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    I have bought a few things on there and have been ok. It is really up to the individual rather than the site imho. I orefer the Polkies.
    Venom
  • vonnie123
    vonnie123 Posts: 326
    edited March 2008
    Bought a power cable from a "zero" seller last week, and have my fingers crossed, although communication, including his providing the postal tracking number looks good so far. Should have the cable in a couple of days. Most of the frequent audiogon sellers have 100 percent postive feedback which is encouraging.

Cable showed up in great condition on Tuesday
    [
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2008
    All of my transactions with Audiogon have been great but only because I am scrupulous.

There have been a few sellers that were scammers and when they replied to my emails I was able to determine so and not send them any dough.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • SolidSqual
    edited March 2008
    All of my transactions with Audiogon have been great but only because I am scrupulous.

There have been a few sellers that were scammers and when they replied to my emails I was able to determine so and not send them any dough.

Ahh yes. Assessing the situation before entering a purchase or sale is a must. I have also foiled a few scammers.
  • unc2701
    unc2701 Posts: 3,587
    edited March 2008
    No trouble here. Had a few transactions, one with Underwood (they rock) and zero issues. Same thing as ebay; if it looks too good, it is.
    Gallo Ref 3.1 : Bryston 4b SST : Musical fidelity CD Pre : VPI HW-19
    Gallo Ref AV, Frankengallo Ref 3, LC60i : Bryston 9b SST : Meridian 565
    Jordan JX92s : MF X-T100 : Xray v8
    Backburner:Krell KAV-300i
  • heiney9
    heiney9 Posts: 25,163
    edited March 2008
    I've used it about 3 times and am always looking for that next good deal on "upper" end equipment.

The only gripe, which is true for most on-line markets, is the lack of timely communication. If you list something that is fairly expensive and somewhat limited you will probably have a lot of interest. It's always hard to get sellers to respond to inquiries. I've had several deals fall through because I couldn't get a timely answer to a question which would have sealed the deal for me. I wish they had a system like E-bay for questions where the seller can post the question and answer for all to see.

Frustrating but certainly understandable. I also wish people would mark items as sold or remove the listing when the transaction is complete. Nothing more annoying than finding that Nelson Pass Aleph 30 only to be told it's already "sold" even though the listing looks current. ;).

Overall for harder to find, higher end gear I tend to feel more comfortable working with sellers on Audiogon, but as always buyer beware.

H9
    "Appreciation of audio is a completely subjective human experience. Measurements can provide a measure of insight, but are no substitute for human judgment. Why are we looking to reduce a subjective experience to objective criteria anyway? The subtleties of music and audio reproduction are for those who appreciate it. Differentiation by numbers is for those who do not".--Nelson Pass Pass Labs XA25 | EE Avant Pre | EE Mini Max Supreme DAC | MIT Shotgun S1 | Pangea AC14SE MKII | Legend L600 | BlueSound Node 3 - Tubes add soul!
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2008
    members have been ripped on the Gon, better than the Bay though. Me, well, I have done alot of deals and they all went well on the Gon, I shy away from O feedback, if a seller does not communicate then I am out of there like a hot potato.
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited March 2008
    I can't say I never buy new anymore as one can also buy new on Audiogon. I can say every Audiogon transaction has been superb! As with any internet transaction, one has to cover the bases.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2008
    Audiogon has been good to me.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Grabbed a few items , one came damaged and the seller promptly sent me a new item ( The item, a precut ready to assemble 1" MDF 9 cubic ft sub cabinet was RIGHT at fed-ex's weight limit...one pound shy to be exact...so it must have been a pretty penny to ship )
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • mightymouse
    mightymouse Posts: 254
    edited March 2008
    I bought a couple of dealer demo's off the gon. With some dealers, if you sweet talk them, you can usually knock off a quite a bit of money from their asking price. But some dealers are just real sticklers.
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    I still buy new if the deal is really great and I've nothing but good to say about the Gon. It's funny I usually try to sell things here first. If it doesn't sell I'm surprised to say it is usually sold in less than 24 hours on Audiogon.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2008
    I think Agon is the best mix of knowledgeable / reasonable buyers and honest sellers for audio.

Polk Forum is a great place to snag a random deal as a buyer, but it's tough to impossible to sell here unless you're just giving gear away at ridiculous prices. Too many people spoiled by the likes of Russman, Doro, etc. and their overly generous offerings :) Not enough of a market to target specific gear as a buyer, either.

Ebay is good for a lucky/risky snag here or there, but it's too helter skelter. You never know where the price will end up, and you never know for sure what the item will actually look like when it arrives. The no standard rating thing really hurts ebay. "Great shape" is very subjective, I've discovered.
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Percentage wise, I've had better luck with Ebay. I haven't been ripped off per say, but have run into more dingbats on A-gon.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2008
    I purchased my Thiel 3.6's on Audiogon. Transaction was flawless!!!