Bi-Amping

MxStYlEpOlKmAn
MxStYlEpOlKmAn Posts: 2,116
edited December 2002 in Speakers
Someone please explain this to me, Heres what I have recovered by reading. You run seperate wires, the top connects are the tweeter, the bottum if midrange/bass. right? Ok, well - Do you buy a 2 channel amp, for each speaker - Plug the tweeter in one, and the midrange/bass in the other? Do this for each speaker? But if this is correct - how in the heck would you connect this to a receiver? Someone please help me understand this..
Damn you all, damn you all to hell.......
I promised myself
No more speakers. None. Nada. And then you posted this!!!!
Damn you all! - ATC
Post edited by MxStYlEpOlKmAn on

Comments

• axeman
    axeman Posts: 170
    edited December 2002
    I would put forward only my set up.

I have a Carver PM1.5T amp for my L/R mid/woofers and then a Carver PM1200 for my L/R tweeter bank.

Split the signal for each left and right channel and utilize the respective outputs to bi-amp properly.

Peace.
    Joe
  • trance72
    trance72 Posts: 18
    edited December 2002
    first of all the input on top is for your highs and mids.the other one is for your dedicated sub amp that you need to parellel with a y-adapter from sub out on your receiver, then run a wire for each left and right sub.then your highs and mids off the receiver power..hope that helps
    a true audiophile is never satisfiyed
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    WTF?

Try this:

http://sound.westhost.com/bi-amp.htm

You can also do a search on this site. This topic can get pretty ugly.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • trance72
    edited December 2002
    gidrah is right different ppl like different ways of doing things.there are many types if bi or tri amping depending on what kind of speaker u have or amp for that matter.im assuming u are talking about a home theater tower with a front or side firing woofer that has its own terminal on the back of the speaker.also take in consideration of your recievers subwoofer x-over freq. or if it has one, if not u will need to purchase a separate active cross-over unit to pair up with your sub amp.let me tell u what i do know about bi-amping and everyone will agree, its like night and day and for the better.its the #1 thing u can do to improve sound quality.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited December 2002
    Next.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    Still dont understand -- Bottum post run to the subwoofer? Like right speaker for the right output (speaker wire)? and so on -- The top post runs to a seperate amp -- but how does this send different power supplies to the tweeter and then to the woofer -- I personally do not see how this would improve the speaker in anyway. I thought the top post is tweeter - bottum is woofer, so this would split the power in half and be able to drive the speaker more easily. This making the speaker play cleaner, and louder? but thats what I thought - So what you do is use the top post for the speaker, and the bottum to plug into a subwoofer? ok...I still dont understand...but anywayz thanx for all the help
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • trance72
    edited December 2002
    ok lets try again, in order to bi-amp a pair of speakers u need a total of 4 channels.2 channel for your left and right highs and mids which are combined to the top input connector of your speakers.u can run your left and right high/mid from your recievers main left and right channel outputs.......now your lower input connector on your speaker is for your sub.this is what the other 2 channels are for.in order for this to work u need a 2 channel amp. most a/v recievers have one RCA sub out but since u need 2 inputs for your amp u will need to place a RCA Y-adapter and a RCA pair from that sub output to your sub-amp...then run a wire to each speaker from the amp to the lower connector on your speaker just as u did on your highs one for left and one for the right. i wish i had a way to show u a diagram its really not that complicated if u could see how it hooks up...trance
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    lol -- i sorda understand, use microsoft paint
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • trance72
    edited December 2002
    hmm im not sure how to add an image to my thread but i went ahead and drew out a diagram for ya...it seems when i click the IMG button nothing happens....if u have a pair of bi-ampable speakers i would deffinantly bi-amp them.all u need is a reciever with a sub out and a seperate 2-channel amp to power your subs in the cabinet.think of it as adding a powered sub but your amp is external and the subs are built into your main left and right cabinets.it really adds up to a clean defined sound without having the big sub box in the corner unless u want to have a powered sub and powered subs in your main cabinets...talk about bass...u would have more bass than u would need if that is possable.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    at the very bottum of the post is a place where u can browse for files to add to the post....look near the bottum of the post a reply page
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • trance72
    edited December 2002
    ok this is it
  • trance72
    edited December 2002
    if u do have a powered sub and want to run it too it will be nececcery to add a second Y-adapter to your sub out.
  • MxStYlEpOlKmAn
    edited December 2002
    AHHHHHHHH! OK I UNDERSTAND! FINALLY!!!!!

1 more question - Is the sub amp, the amp on the back of the sub - if so....do you plug each speaker into a seperate subwoofer?
    I promised myself
    Damn you all! - ATC
  • trance72
    edited December 2002
    i dont understand your question...the amp in the diagram is an external amp that would set in your a/v rack