Noobie Help...

avelanchefan
avelanchefan Posts: 2,401
edited December 2002 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ok just bought a brand new Isuzu Rodeo. (Well 2001) anyway it has their stock stereo. It comes with a six disk cd player and tape deck. Also has a six speaker stereo system.
So what I am wondering is what do I upgrade? Because personally I think it sounds terrible. Do I go with updating the speakers? Because they get so distorted at medium-high level. Or is it the CD/FM Player that cannot handle any type of power? I personally like the CD player because you can have six disks. But I wilol get rid of it depending on the responces?

Please help guys...I can hardly take it anymore.
Sean
XboxLive--->avelanchefan
PSN---->Floppa
http://card.mygamercard.net/avelanchefan.png
Post edited by avelanchefan on

Comments

• PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    well there are two reasons that car audio systems can (mostly) sound bad -- for a stock system both are true -- 1) garbage paper speakers and 2) head units that only put out 10-15 watts per channel.

honestly -- get rid of it all -- get a respectable aftermarket head unit, an amp for your 4 highs (fr / fl / rr / rl) that will do like 65 - 100 x 4, and 4 good high speakers (whether you choose components or coax is dependant on your tastes, but components will give better imaging and quality of sound). -- you can add a subwoofer(s) when u do the rest or at a later date -- not a big deal, the 4 speakers / amp / head alone will be a BIG upgrade.

if you're stuck on a 6 disc / 10 disc changer -- most aftermarket deck companies will make direct plug in changers for their decks -- for example, if you get an alpine head unit with ainet capability, alpine makes a 6 disc changer that even plays MP3 files and its only about 200 bucks new / 150 used.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2002
    If cost is a concern, the best order to upgrade is: speakers, then amp(s), then source unit(s). The speakers will make the biggest difference, but make sure that they're efficient if you plan on running them off deck power. The next step would be to add an amp, either one with high- level imputs, or with a seperate low level converter. This allows you to retain the stock head unit. Changing up the source unit isn't going to make a difference in sound. Aftermarket head units are great if you don't have a stock CD player, or if you want more features/ flash. But they're also great for attracting unwanted attention.