Effective security

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited January 2003 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hi
I am going to install a fairly expensive system into an '82 for bronco.... and as you can guess this car is very easy to break into.
I was wondering if any of you have any tips on how to protect the subs/reciever from being stolen out of the truck in a short amount of time, and how to make it the biggest hassle to take them out. I am not familiar with forms of security in car audio, and i would appreciate it if you guys helped out. I am worried because i have heard of so many people's systems getting stolen.

Thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2002
    Also, i am wondering where they get stolen the most... and if it is possible to avoid these places.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2002
    I'm not familiar with that vehicle, but an alarm (if properly installed) with help keep everything in your possesion. As far as places to avoid- it all depends on where you live. People's cars get broken into or stolen from their homes (even in garages), but it's more likely to happen somewhere like the mall, or a park- and- ride, because there's so many cars around and most people won't even look around if they hear an alarm going off.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited December 2002
    fill the screw heads with solder.... makes things a little more difficult to steal and you just heat it up and suk it out when repair or replacement is needed....
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • sntnsupermen131
    sntnsupermen131 Posts: 1,831
    edited December 2002
    don't put any stickers on your car like polk/momo or whatever you have
    its like saying hey--i have expensive stuff in here...come steal it
    a nice "THIS TRUCK IS PROTECTED BY SMITH & WESSON" sticker might due...
    also try to make them not visible from windows
    a good tint job also helps
    i have an extended cab truck and my subs are under the back seat where they are harder to see and harder to get out and the amp is behind the seat so the only way to take it out is to take the back seat out
    plus this box has 2 subs in it and it weighs a lot
    but i also have an alarm on my truck
    you can usually find those tint and alarm deals for $199 if you look
    not the greatest alarm but if you hit the truck or the door opens the alarm goes off
    -Cody
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2002
    as far as alarms -- you can get a solid crimestopper system with remote start and the goodies for like 80 bucks on ebay (fm transmitter) or 120 for the two way pager ones that alert you of intrusions. do the install yourself, just make sure you do your homework and be careful, and you've got a 300 - 375 dollar job for like 100 bucks.

tint is crucial -- you dont want all your windows blacked out or else you'll look like you're hiding something, for pickups its easy -- 50 - 60% on the front -- 5% on the rears and back window... dont get a visor strip -- looks suspicious. -- good tint job run you 99 bucks for a truck -- 120 for a 4 dr. car.

along the lines of the smith and wesson -- got a sticker at pep boys, says "if you value your life as much as I value this truck, keep your hands off it." -- my mom's got one that says "beware of owner"...lol.

also -- canadian merchants sell a tazer kit -- when the alarm is triggered in the car, a high voltage shock is sent to a metal foil trim which is placed behind the steering wheel, under door handles, etc etc... whether or not it works is another story, might be bull, but i've seen them installed twice, and they do at least give off the impression of a scary / painful / deadly thing.

although nothign really beats a big fat guy named Jamal sittin in your passenger seat sayin "get the f*ck off the car b*tch!... I kill you... I kill you!" I gotta get me one of those.
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited December 2002
    ive seen security systems on tv in other countries where if someone breaks in a torch makes them pay...
    illegal in the u.s. though
    darn...
    -Cody
  • Keske944
    Keske944 Posts: 134
    edited January 2003
    I have a Porsche 944 and the only place that I have room for my equipment is in the hatchback. I can't "dig out" the floor as most of my cars electrical wiring is under it. So I am buying a 1/2" custom cut piece of acrilyc (21" x 47") that I am going to mount on 18 4" acrylic posts (1" diamater). I am going to put all my amps under this acrylic sheet. That way:
    1. I don't loose a lot of cargo space
    2. The amps still have room to "breath"
    3. Anyone that wants to steal it will either have to remove the entire sheet (18 screws) or break the acrylic.

Breaking acrylic isn't easy and they run the risk of destroying the very components they are trying to steal!

So a possible solution that is relitively inexpensive is to install under something like acrylic. My custom cut sheet and rod is going to run me about $135. But it makes my install stand out and protects it at the same time.

Just an idea.
    Patience... patience...

Screw patience... Crank the volume and floor it you panzie.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited January 2003
    Sadly....there is no reall effective security system. If they want it bad enough...its thiers.

As far as alarms go..Install is the most importan aspect of an alarm. If you dont know what your doing..pay someone to do it or get help from someone who know's how. A poorly installed alarm is as good as no alarm..

anyway..good luck....:cool:
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    ... or have me install it, screw it up, apologize to you up and down that i'm really sorry i messed up your pretty car, and please dont break up with me and date some guy named "Javier" just cuz i almost blew up your car, and i promise i'll get it fixed within a week -- and then, a week later, its all good.
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2003
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    YOu ok Vinnie???? Something you want to "share" with the group? lmfao:lol:
  • sntnsupermen131
    edited January 2003
    took the words out of my mouth...
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    share with the group? ... so you mean this is like an AA meeting now? :p

actually thomas, it's just the whole parkin light relay thing i told u about -- i just embellished it a bit there...haha.

*looks around* ..." I'm not ****."
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Vinnie...this is more of an WEA meating...
    Would be Electonic-tech Annonomous meeting..... hehe
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    haha.. i like that...lol

hey on a good note - i tried those dual spdt relays today-- worked like a charm.. hell it works better than the "original" output on my own alarm.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    edited January 2003
    Its always cool...when you come up with a theory...write it down..and it dont blow up!!

applause for Vinne....jack of many trades...master of none
    just kidding..

peace
  • PoweredByDodge
    edited January 2003
    i drew it with the lipstick of a woman named "Rhoda", on the back of a beer napkin, at 3 am, just before last call, with a Molson in one hand, a chicken finger in my mouth, and obviously the lipstick in the other hand... and it didn't blow up.

amen.