question about ground wire

Bigkodya17
Bigkodya17 Posts: 15
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok im not to familiar with all the technical stuff with wiring, but i was wondering if i would be able to attach a square piece of metal to the bak of my sub box to screw my ground wire to. im having trouble trying to find anywhere else to put, so i thought i mite do that since my amp is screwed onto the box also.
If its too loud your obviously too old!
Post edited by Bigkodya17 on

Comments

• bluzrip
    bluzrip Posts: 93
    edited March 2008
    That's not gonna work. You can often attach a good ground to one of the seat mounting bolts (not true with all cars). Clear some bare metal around the bolt so your lug will make good contact.
    "You can tell by the kindness of a dog how a human should be." Don Van Vliet
  • ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    If the amp is already wired, the negative terminal is the ground. You can attach whatever plate you want to that terminal to create a new ground point.

If the amp isn't wired and the box is in the trunk, you have plenty of ground points. Look for a hole in the sheet metal and scrape the paint away with sandpaper. Use that as your ground point. Make sure you can get your fingers behind it to tighten it down.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    The amp HAS TO BE CHASSIS GROUNDED. You have to use a ground point that is attatched to the car's chassis or the amp wont work.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D