Warning: Science Content! It's pretty big news though

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Here is the article first of all:

http://www.eetimes.com/news/latest/showArticle.jhtml;jsessionid=HTTOTGYXPCPWSQSNDLSCKHA?articleID=206904213

Ok, so what's so big about room temperature superconductors? Well, from the article:
Instead of super-cooling the material, as is necessary for conventional superconductors, the new material is instead super-compressed. The researchers claim that the new material could sidestep the cooling requirement, thereby enabling superconducting wires that work at room temperature.

So what's a superconductor? A geeky explanation is the simplest way to put it:
Superconducting metals work by binding electrons into pairs called Cooper pairs whose motion can be coupled into long chains of electrons. Those electrons are synchronized with the conductor's lattice vibrations (when cooled near absolute zero), thereby avoiding the collisions with metal atoms that define resistance.

Essentially, what that definition is saying is that resistance is a manifestation of electrically excited atoms colliding. Those collisions create changes in the charge of the atoms which cause the atoms to either fight or be attracted to the charge of the electricity running through the material.

In a super conductor, the material is cooled to near 0 degrees Kelvin which is absolute 0. The colder they get, the more likely the atoms will bind in Cooper pairs. The Cooper pairs line up in a chain of electrons that synchronize the atomic orbits with the lattice vibrations of the material those atoms make up.

A Cooper pair is:
A Cooper pair is the name given to electrons that are bound together in a certain manner first described by Leon Cooper. Cooper showed that an arbitrarily small attraction between electrons in a metal can cause a paired state of electrons to have a lower energy than the Fermi energy, which implies that the pair is bound. In normal superconductors, this attraction is due to the electron phonon interaction. The Cooper Pair state forms the basis of the BCS theory of superconductivity developed by John Bardeen, John Schrieffer and Leon Cooper for which they shared the 1972 Nobel Prize.

A simplified explanation: an electron in a metal normally behaves as basically a free particle. The electron is repelled from other electrons due to their similar charge, but it also attracts the positive ions that make up the rigid lattice of the metal. This attraction can distort the positively charged ions in such a way as to attract other electrons (the electron-phonon interaction). This attraction due to the displaced ions can overcome the electrons repulsion due to the electrons having the same charge and cause them to pair-up. Generally, the pairing only occurs at low temperatures and is quite weak, meaning the paired electrons may still be many hundreds of nanometers apart.

A Lattice Vibration is:
In physics, a phonon is a quantized mode of vibration occurring in a rigid crystal lattice, such as the atomic lattice of a solid.[1] The study of phonons is an important part of solid state physics, because phonons play a major role in many of the physical properties of solids, including a material's thermal and electrical conductivities.

So what is happening is that the electrons in the atoms have an oscillation in the orbits and they synchronize the oscillations with the phonon of the material. This brings resistance way, way down to very close to 0 resistance if not 0 resistance. Since everything is vibrating in step, none of the atoms collide and the electricity flows like a surfer on an ocean wave.

This is a big deal because technology like this will change everything electrical from power generation to power storage and transmitting anything with an electrical signal. Everything from batteries to speaker wire will be rethought. You think computers are fast now, you ain't seen nothing yet! Magnets built with superconductors can actually generate electricity from the EM field they produce. You want to talk about clean energy! Forget solar cells, forget nuke plants, they are nothing! Space all of a sudden becomes more accessible because the extensive power needed to get there isn't needed anymore. You can float a ship above the ground with a superconducting magnet that repels the magnetic field of the Earth! How cool is that? But the biggest deal with all of this is those gigantic physics experiments with super colliders and particle accelerators. The amount of power needed to run those experiments will be drastically reduced which reduces costs. That means more of those experiments can be run and the more we can learn.

Neato stuff. Even if you don't want to read my post, read the article. Do some research. This is a big deal.
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    If this is for real they will publish it in a scientific journal. My cynicism tells me it's probably hype, but it'd be great if it wasn't
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,806
    edited March 2008
    nms wrote: »
    If this is for real they will publish it in a scientific journal. My cynicism tells me it's probably hype, but it'd be great if it wasn't

Most scientific journals don't filter up to the common mass media markets because they are incredibly thick and complicated to read. Hence, news articles like the one I posted are what bubbles up. It isn't evidence that there hasn't been a scientific journal article published yet. Then again, the article does state that research is continuing so maybe there isn't enough information verified about the whole deal to publish an article yet.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • ryanjoachim
    ryanjoachim Posts: 2,046
    edited March 2008
    We are probably still a good 50 years or more away from seeing any practical application of this. I would LOVE to see it put to use getting us into space though!
    MrNightly wrote: »
    "Dr Dunn admitted that his research could also be interpreted as evidence that women are shallower than men. He said: "Let's face it - there's evidence to support it."
    mystik610 wrote: »
    Best Buy is for people who don't know any better. Magnolia is for people who don't know any better and have more money to spend.
    My System:

TV: SAMSUNG UN55B7000 55" 1080p LED HDTV
    HTPC: Chromecast w/ Plex Media Server. Media streamed from Media Server.
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2008
    Interesting

But I remember the cold fusion boys when they also published in the news papers first.

Turned out it was all BS.

It's important to have peer review because they are very hard to BS.
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited March 2008
    I wonder what kind of pressures they are talking about. 2 billion kPa? The required compression has to be reasonable or you can forget everyday applications.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2008
    Maybe be they apply pressure to just a small area and put the wire out.

I think this was called autoclaving and is used in industry to make complex thin wire from a large billet of metal.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Wow, that is quite awesome. Hopefully it's true, will lead to more research and experimentation, and eventually to awesome applications in daily life!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    Okay, when can I get this in a speaker wire ?!?

This is an audio forum after all :)

Those crazy Saskatchewanese, what will they come up with next?
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    I'll believe it when I see them ripping all that fiber-optic out of the ground.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited March 2008
    Oh great, just when the wire wars are dying down, they come up with a whole new kind of wire.