Sub box wiring question

discopigg
discopigg Posts: 27
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey, this is a repost from a different(wrong) section, i apologize if anyone is reading this twice.

Hey all, my first post here, so complete noob as it stands.
I've just purchased and built a box for two MM2124 SVC subs. I'm going to use my current a800t monoblock audiobahn amp(yeah i know it's not great quality but i can't afford a new one atm) to power them.
I'm wiring them in parallel which satisfies my power/resistence requirements..
My only problem is actually implementing it. I was initially going to just install a terminal in the side of the box and have two wires running off the positive and negative terminals two each of the speakers, but i've since heard there's a fair bit of signal loss in using a terminal.

So my question in short is how do i wire my subs in parallel with minimal signal loss where i split my positive and negative wires? If that makes sense..
Any help is much appreciated. Cheers.. :)
Post edited by discopigg on

Comments

• ShinAce
    ShinAce Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    The answer is to solder the wires.

If you can't solder, don't sweat it. If this kind of stuff keeps you up at night, get out of DIY audio.
  • discopigg
    edited March 2008
    ShinAce wrote: »
    The answer is to solder the wires.

If you can't solder, don't sweat it. If this kind of stuff keeps you up at night, get out of DIY audio.

I'm right to solder the wires, but i'd need a signal filter or something afterwards wouldn't I?
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Im not quite as fancy as other installers. I just use the terminals on the Momo sub and drill a hole thru the box and run the wires thru it then seal it up with silicone. It aint pretty but works.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • discopigg
    edited March 2008
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Im not quite as fancy as other installers. I just use the terminals on the Momo sub and drill a hole thru the box and run the wires thru it then seal it up with silicone. It aint pretty but works.

that would've been my first instinct, but i've got myself some good quality 12 gauge wire and there's no way the terminals on the subs are gonna fit two lots of them..:(
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    They should fit 12 gauge. My MM2104 is wired with 12 gauge and it fits fine.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    i took my time (a lot of time) and was able to get these to fit inside of the terminals on the subs, but not the box, from the amp to box, i used the BIG monster cable and then doubled up the speaker wire to each point. http://www.monstercable.com/mpc/productPageMPC.asp?pin=3113&section=four
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    You can always solder all wires and then terminate with slip on terminals(solder these too).

We are talking about getting the wires to the subwoofer tabs, right?
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    You can just cut half the strands off of each speaker wire, twist them together, then stick it in the terminal. No signal loss.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • discopigg
    edited March 2008
    really? i would've thought that would've definitely meant signal loss.. or am i being naive
  • Sherardp
    Sherardp Posts: 8,038
    edited March 2008
    Shoot the jumper.....................BALLIN.............!!!!!

Home Theater Pics in the Showcase :cool:

http://www.polkaudio.com/forums/showcase/view.php?userid=73580
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    discopigg wrote: »
    really? i would've thought that would've definitely meant signal loss.. or am i being naive

Youre just being naive:p
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • ShinAce
    edited March 2008
    Look at the leads on the sub itself. The voice coil is much thinner still.
  • MacLeod
    edited March 2008
    It wont mean signal loss and the reason is resistance or rather a lack of. Having the wires reduced in size only inches from the terminals wont add up to enough resistance to reduce the signal.

Actually you could run 14 gauge wire all the way from the amp to the sub and be fine for the same reason. Unless youre sub is going to be 20' away from the amp or youre going to be running 1000+ watts, 14 gauge will be fine.