29yrs 45 weeks

Rivrrat
Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
The company I work for offered an enhanced voluntary separation plan today, and the cash offer is pretty decent. I need to have 30 yrs in to be pension eligible, I'd need that pension to take the offer, and I'd like to.

I'll have 29 yrs 45 weeks when I'd have to be off the payroll. :(

I suppose I should be happy that I'm just employed in this economy. :rolleyes:
My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
Post edited by Rivrrat on

Comments

• MrNightly
    MrNightly Posts: 3,370
    edited March 2008
    That sucks man... sorry to hear that.
    Honoured to be, an original SOPA founding member
    Stuff...

RTi12's - front
    CSi5 - center
    FXi3's - surrounds
    RTi4's - surrounds
    SVS PB12-NSD/2 - sub :D:D:D
    Denon 3805
    Rotel RB-985 5-Channel Amplifier

• obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    Sorry to hear that man. Being 7 weeks shy of qualifying SUCKS!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    I'd try to work something out with them. It's not likely that there are many that are THAT close so you might be able to make a case for staying on for another 7 weeks during the 'transition' time for someone new so you're eligible.
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • Rivrrat
    edited March 2008
    I'd try to work something out with them
    45k employees, they don't work things out (conference call with HR). Although, they want people off the payroll, you'd think they would.
    You don't happen to have 7 weeks of vacation time you haven't used that you can trade in?

They only let you trade one week a year (union contract), but with 5 weeks, I'd still be two weeks short.

We got a handout of what it takes to qualify, and I'm just short. :mad:
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    the things that raise a red flag for me on your post is that you state it's "voluntary separation". where does it say you have to take it? did I miss something. if it was INvoluntary, then you'd be screwed.

i say you should plead you case to your CEO or someone. Seriously, what kind of company does that for being just 7 weeks shy of full pension?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Rivrrat
    edited March 2008
    I don't have to take the buyout. I need my pension to be able to take it, and I'm 7 weeks shy of being pension eligible. If I take the buyout now and leave 7 weeks shy of being pension eligible, I won't be pension eligible again until I'm 65.

Thay want employees to go, I want to go (with the buyout), yet because of corporate and union rules, they can't be flexible enough to work out 7 weeks with a leave.

As I said, I should be happy to still be employed in this economy.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    ahhh gotcha. yeah that stinks to high heaven. why do they want employees to go?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Rivrrat
    edited March 2008
    Trying to cut costs company wide.

I work on a crew that's really seniority heavy, and almost half are going to take this. That leaves the rest of us to take up the slack, since contracturally they can't replace these people for a specific time frame (probably a yr), and we're specialized enough that it takes a couple yrs to really get what we do.

So, with the OT I'll be making over this, you all are probably going to be hearing about my upgrades.;)