Shipping vinyl

dragon1952
dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Can someone enlighten me on shipping vinyl LP's. What is the average cost per LP for shipping via Parcel Post or Priority Mail? I've read up on packaging them, so I'm not too worried about that. Just wondering how to price shipping in.
Thanks.
2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
Post edited by dragon1952 on

Comments

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    PM BaggedLancer. He has sent a bunch of vinyl. He should know.
  • billbillw
    billbillw Posts: 6,714
    edited March 2008
    Using USPS, their rates are the same up to 1lb, then increase with weight. The rate is the same within the CONUS. Priority goes up pretty fast with weight, but Media Mail rates gently increase.

Media Mail $2.13 up to 1lb., Priority is $4.60 for 1lb, Make sure to add about $0.75 for delivery confirmation. Insurance is $1.60 for up to $50, increases after that.

Any single album should be under 1lb when packaged. From my recollection, 10 albums weighs about 5lbs packed, but that varies if the vinyl is thicker, with doubles, and if the sleeve is gatefold.

If you take a 10 album bunch @ 5lbs, sent with tracking and insurance (for $50), you'd be looking at $4.50 by media mail, $11.15 for priority.
    For rig details, see my profile. Nothing here anymore...
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Just saw this. Did you get it taken care of? Don't forget as well to include the cost of the box, the packing material(depends on the box), the tape to seal it, the gas to drive to the post office. There is alot more to a shipping fee than just the cost you incure at the post office. That's why it's called Shipping and handling. If you left out handling fees you would always end up with the short straw.