So I'm studying and need help...

Serendipity
Serendipity Posts: 6,975
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Been studying for Physics all day today, and came across an old test question that I could not solve:

"A cyclotron is designed to accelerate deuterium nuclei. (Deuterium has one proton and one neutron in its nucleus). (a) If the cyclotron uses a 2.0-T magnetic field, at what frequency should the dee voltage be alternated? (b) If the vacuum chamber has a diameter of 0.90m, what is the maximum kinetic energy of the deuterons? (c) If the magnitude of the potential difference between the dees is 1500V, how many orbits do the deuterons complete before achieving the energy of Part (b)?"

I've been stumped for a few hours now (will try to post a scan of my work) and I'm not sure where to go with the problem. I'd like to try and work out the problem myself, so I'd rather know how it was done than just have the answer. Where should I start? I tried using Force = q(E+V*B) but I'm not sure if this is right???

Thanks!!

P.S. Please tell me all this studying is worth it!!
polkaudio RT35 Bookshelves
polkaudio 255c-RT Inwalls
polkaudio DSWPro550WI
polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
polkaudio RM6750 5.1

Front projection, 2 channel, car audio... life is good!
Post edited by Serendipity on

Comments

• dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    appadv wrote: »
    Been studying for Physics all day today, and came across an old test question that I could not solve:

I've been stumped for a few hours now (will try to post a scan of my work) and I'm not sure where to go with the problem.

I'd go to the reefer with it and grab a cold one :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008

yes, and it definitely beats some of the alternatives like drinking and chasing women ;) Hmmm...on second thought :cool:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • tcrossma
    tcrossma Posts: 1,301
    edited March 2008
    I think the studying is worth it, so keep it up! I personally don't understand a word of that problem, and I myself didn't pay enough attention and drank too much back in school to have any hope of ever answering such a question. But i'll tell you what, I'm sure hoping my son takes a more serious approach to schooling than I did. I deeply respect those that can make it through today's institutions without taking the easy path and goofing off through the whole thing.

Good luck!
    Speakers: Polk LSi15
    Pre: Adcom GFP-750 with HT Bypass
    Amp: Pass Labs X-150
    CD/DVD Player: Classe CDP-10
    Interconnects: MIT Shortgun S3 Pro XLR
    Speaker cables: MIT MH-750 bi-wire
    TT:Micro Seiki DD-35
    Cartridge:Denon DL-160
    Phono Pre:PS Audio GCPH
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    I just finished doing a report that took me just over 7 hours today to do. Now, it's time to eat dinner and throw back a few cold ones alcholic style....still in the paper bag.

Enjoy your saturday night studying!
  • Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited March 2008
    I really don't remember studying anything about particle acceleration in the physics classes I took, but I did find some stuff on wikipedia that might help. Go here and scroll down to the Mathematics section. The next to last formula for frequency with B*q/2*m*Pi looks like it might be relevant since you already know B-magnetic field, q-charge of the deuterium particle and it's mass-m. Good luck.
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    tcrossma wrote: »
    I think the studying is worth it, so keep it up! I personally don't understand a word of that problem, and I myself didn't pay enough attention and drank too much back in school to have any hope of ever answering such a question. But i'll tell you what, I'm sure hoping my son takes a more serious approach to schooling than I did. I deeply respect those that can make it through today's institutions without taking the easy path and goofing off through the whole thing.

Good luck!

Thanks, I'm trying my best to do well on these upper-level Physics courses and then hopefully go on to grad school (see other thread). But my eyes are getting really tired and I can't see well, so I'm going to sleep soon.

On the other hand, I'm still working on the problem right now and threw away 3 pieces of paper because I got stuck each time...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but this is probably not the best place to ask for physics advice on a Saturday night!

I was doing solids tonight, (mechanical engineer), 1.5 hrs on 1 problem. I feel your pain man.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    nms wrote: »
    Don't anyone take this the wrong way, but this is probably not the best place to ask for physics advice on a Saturday night!

I was doing solids tonight, (mechanical engineer), 1.5 hrs on 1 problem. I feel your pain man.

What school do you go to? I almost ended up in NC when I got waitlisted to Duke, but unfortunately that never worked out...

Would be fun though, there's a lot of NC Polkies on this board...
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008

Well I never studied anything like that in Physics or Pchem, or I did and I have since forgotten seeing as how I once got a 35 on a test AFTER the bell curve was applied to a high score of 59. That means my original score was a frikin negative number... Is it possible that, that professor just sucked.

to answer your question, no, it is not worth it. Here are the types of multiple choice type questions you will find along your career.

A. They have computers to figure that out.
    B. Learning the Theory and having computers figure out the answers makes more sense and should be how classes like this are taught.
    C. unless you go to work at a particle accelerator you will never use this information ever again, and even if you did, the computer would figure it out for you.
    D. All of the above
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    I guess my professor is just one of those hard graders. I have a few friends that took his class before and ended up having to take it again due to the harsh curve.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    What school do you go to? I almost ended up in NC when I got waitlisted to Duke, but unfortunately that never worked out...

Would be fun though, there's a lot of NC Polkies on this board...

NCSU.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    I would just give up now appadv.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    I would just give up now appadv.

I haven't given up yet!

If you don't mind telling...what's your major, BL?
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• petrym
    petrym Posts: 1,912
    edited March 2008
    A. They have computers to figure that out.
    B. Learning the Theory and having computers figure out the answers makes more sense and should be how classes like this are taught.
    C. unless you go to work at a particle accelerator you will never use this information ever again, and even if you did, the computer would figure it out for you.
    D. All of the above

You're completely missing the point of the class, professors are teaching you to think and how set up the solution, the answer is not what they are trying to teach.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    petrym wrote: »
    You're completely missing the point of the class, professors are teaching you to think and how set up the solution, the answer is not what they are trying to teach.

I'm sure there are computers that can do the problem in a flash, but the point is to be able to set up and solve the problem, not just get an answer :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    .......and to be able to verify thru process that the computer is correct. Not that the computer would be wrong, mind you, but humans are wrong and one slip of the keyboard could cause a major catastrophic failure when and if the design makes it past a certain point.

If you do not understand the theory, you understand nothing.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    I haven't given up yet!

If you don't mind telling...what's your major, BL?

It's highly classified. So classified I keep it in my AIM profile. Sorry. :(
  • CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008
    petrym wrote: »

perhaps you "completely missed the point of my reply"

I did say... there are better ways to teach... To learn the theory... not make people do drone busy work... 2hrs on a single question..is a ridiculous amount of time to waste...the fault is on your professor, if they are anything like my school, and I went to a good one, 99% of them were worthless, 2 on the entire campus were worth a damn. problems that difficult should be worked on in class where a professor can step in and guide you.

There are also much better ways to learn critical thinking skills. Doing difficult mathematics is hardly one of them.

Look.. You're the one that asked..and I gave you an honest answer. I've been there... reading the same f'ing paragraph over and over again trying to figure out how to even set up the chemical reaction, all the time knowing, i could plug it into a model and have an answer in 10 seconds..

I truly feel I blew 100K on a worthless education. I have a B.s. in biochemistry, I graduated from a prestigious private college and i can tell you those classes were a waste of my time.

Unless you plan to have a job in an environment where you will actually be called upon to use that exact information again...it is not worth it. I work for a pharmaceutical company and I dont use 99% of what I learned in school, which is good since I forgot at least 90% of it.

Most Colleges teach people what they need to know to get an entry level job in that field.

If I had it to do over again, I would have gone 100% business liberal arts.
    From there you can go do whatever you want to do. I know docs worth millions with liberal arts degrees, they learned what they needed to in med school. I know men that own engineering businesses that arent engineers, they hire them to work for them... I have 2 friends that are structural engineers, they build the bridges and subway systems in major metro areas. we have had this conversation and they said what they learned in college was a joke and they went to leading schools for that.

Look... argue with me in 10 years when you are down the path you choose...and tell me if it was worth it then.

and while on campus, take advantage of all the extra curricular activities that you can find. I learned more about being an adult while president of my fraternity, interacting with the deans and president on campus. I was involved with the health dept and gave nutritional and sex ed talks on campus. sports etc... That was the best part of my education, but it was what I imposed on myself... if you want to learn something worth knowing... pick up Rich Dad Poor Dad, by robert Kiyosaki....Now that's what they should teach in school
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Wasn't really trying to argue with you, so sorry if I came across that way...

As per the problem, you know the diameter, magnetic field, and the voltage. So I was trying to use the equation Bamadude suggested...will give it some more thought after I get a new cable box installed.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    and while on campus, take advantage of all the extra curricular activities that you can find. I learned more about being an adult while president of my fraternity, interacting with the deans and president on campus. I was involved with the health dept and gave nutritional and sex ed talks on campus. sports etc... That was the best part of my education, but it was what I imposed on myself... if you want to learn something worth knowing... pick up Rich Dad Poor Dad, by robert Kiyosaki....Now that's what they should teach in school

Hey, campus life is fun! :)

If I can't figure this out in another 2-3 days I'm going to give up on the problem.

ARGH! :(
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited March 2008
    Never give up... never surrender!!! (Galaxy Quest)
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    Always give up
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Always give up

I rarely give up!!

Might as well say give up on school and work at McDonald's. :)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    I finally figured it out!! Well, with the help of some girl in my class ;)
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2008
    Welcome to the real world... Two hours on a single problem? Bah! Try two or three weeks on the same problem...
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited March 2008
    I finally figured it out!! Well, with the help of some girl in my class ;)

Who are you kidding, there aren't any girls in upper level physics classes! (My B.S. is in Physics) That "girl" might be a dude!

OH.... and sorry, I can't help you with your problem... I moved from Physics to Engineering and then...three years ago... went through the brain sucking machine and into the world of Marketing. I'm much more comfortable there.
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    Haha, that's the only girl in the class. There's also only one girl in my EE class, but unfortunately she has a boyfriend :(
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1

• venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    LOL, my buddy in the Engineering classes always wandered over to my Liberal Arts side of the campus for the girls. There was no competition.
    Venom
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited March 2008
    jdhdiggs wrote: »
    Welcome to the real world... Two hours on a single problem? Bah! Try two or three weeks on the same problem...
    Absolutely!

Don't listen to people who tell you that stuff you do in school won't help you down the road. Yeah, you may never use that specific knowledge. You don't go to school to learn a specific subject matter, although you do get that in the process, you go to school to learn how to think.

There have been many times I've spent a couple weeks on a single problem, and those hours spent in school working on a single Calc assignment for three hours really paid off.

Some problems you'll face aren't going to be problems you can just plug in to a computer and have it solve them for you. Believe it or not, some things you're actually going to have to think long and hard on, and exercises like this are going to help you.
  • Serendipity
    edited March 2008
    In engineering classes, the ratio of guys to girls is like 80:1.
    polkaudio DSWPro550WI
    polkaudio XRT12 XM Tuner
    polkaudio RM6750 5.1