How should I issue a refund on Ebay

ben62670
ben62670 Posts: 15,969
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
OK. I sold my JVC CD changer, and 3 magazines for $10.50. Worked fine when it left. It gets there, and the buyer says it doesn't work. Magazine won't stay in, and when it does it doesn't play. OK maybe it broke during shipping. The guy is rude from the beginning, and threatens to do a dispute right off the bat. So I tell him to ship it back in the same packaging. What should I do. The Item sold for $10.50. I charged a flat rate of $20 for shipping. By the rules am I responsable for shipping, or is he?
Thanks
Ben
Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
Thanks
Ben
Post edited by ben62670 on

Comments

• ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Should I just send the 10.50? This guy thinks I should send him $50.50
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    Just refund the $30.50, tell him to stick the player up his arse and set fire to it, then move on with your life. If you want to try and recover anything, file a claim with your shipping company.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    He would have to pay shipping back and then he'd be allowed his $30 original purchase/shipping on refund. Both of you end up losing the actual shipping and he gets the $10.50 purchase price back basically. He is absolutely not allowed to recoup shipping both ways. That's the chance he takes.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    finally got through to ebay.
    Their reply
    Thank you for waiting. You shouldn't be responsible shouldering the shipping cost of the item. You're not even obligated to refund the buyer since you didn't specify a return policy.
    What I can suggest is for you to report this member to our Trust and Safety Team. After sending an email, Trust and Safety will investigate the situation for you, and respond directly to your registered email address with more information on how to proceed with this issue. Would you like me to get that link for you to contact them about this situation?
    Thanks
    Ben
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    If you're going to refund him ANYthing, don't do so until he returns the item to you.........

If you're going to file a claim with the shipping company, I'm pretty sure you can't have the guy return it to you and then do it..........
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    Just refund the $30.50, tell him to stick the player up his arse and set fire to it, then move on with your life. If you want to try and recover anything, file a claim with your shipping company.

Thats great, but I have a 100% feedback. This guy is going to f my feedback up no matter what:confused:
    Thanks
    Ben
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Tell him to keep it and that you are willing to send him 21 smackers, which is double the selling price on the condition a neutral is left by him.

If he can't agree to that, upon arrival and inspection of returned goods a full refund of of $50.50 will be issued, even though return shipping is usually soaked up by the buyer and that a positive will be left.

The new rules as I understand them state that you can not leave him anything but a positive, so basically as a seller on Flea-Prey you must bow down and bleed at the a$$.....

....but at least you have three options.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    If you're going to refund him ANYthing, don't do so until he returns the item to you.........

If you're going to file a claim with the shipping company, I'm pretty sure you can't have the guy return it to you and then do it..........

He sent it back already, and my neighbor signed for it.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2008
    This one is easy. Give him a choice. Refund the 10.50 and he can keep or throw away the CD player OR refund the full amount including shipping if he returns the unit to you. This is fair both ways.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    I'd listen to what eBay tells you.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Whatever you do, DO NOT rely on the trust and safety team. ;)
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Lasareath wrote: »
    And does it work?

It certainly did. After I sold it I wished I didn't sell it at $10.50. I would have preferred to have it in my girls room.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Thats great, but I have a 100% feedback. This guy is going to f my feedback up no matter what:confused:

It happens. Have you left him feedback? I don't EVER leave a buyer feedback until they have, period. Why would he anyway? Is he just being a dick in general? If you refund his $, he's got nothing to complain about, **** happens with old gear in route, especially cd players, even if packed properly.

For me, it boils down to how important the $30 is to you, vs the stress of dealing with the associated ****. If it means alot, that's fine, try and hammer out a satisfactory solution for both parties. If it doesn't, cough it up and move on down the road. You can always refund an extra $7 (priority mail flat rate box) if you want him to JUST send back the magazines, without those he's f'd anyway if it does actually work (have him send them first before refunding).
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    My email sent to him...

Dear amr1tpal,

Ebays response
    Thank you for waiting. You shouldn't be responsible shouldering the shipping cost of the item. You're not even obligated to refund the buyer since you didn't specify a return policy.
    What I can suggest is for you to report this member to our Trust and Safety Team. After sending an email, Trust and Safety will investigate the situation for you, and respond directly to your registered email address with more information on how to proceed with this issue. Would you like me to get that link for you to contact them about this situation?

This is what ebay sent me, and is in their history. I will however refund you after receipt of positve feedback left about the returned item. I have not even inspected it yet. My feedback is worth more than the money.
    Thanks
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited March 2008
    i say good call ben. i had 100% on ebay and then some buttmunch gave me a neg feedback because i didnt pay for a dvd..because i had a death in the family and was out of town for a funeral for a couple weeks. when i got back i checked my ebay and just that one neg feedback took me to a 93%. which we all know no one wants to buy anything especially electronic from someone with a 93%.
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Well he kinda changed his tone, and left a good feedback. I issued a $30.50 refund, and left good feedback as well. Here was my reply.

"Sorry it didn't work out. Sucks for both of us. Take it easy on sellers with the first reply. Most people with good feedback are straight up kind of people.
    Good luck in the future.
    Ben"
    Thanks
    Ben
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    Good job handling that and glad it worked out. I'm sure when he saw Ebay's response that "You're not even obligated to refund the buyer since you didn't specify a return policy" it humbled him a bit. :D
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    It sucked losing out. That much at this time actually makes a difference:o
    I try to put myself in the other guys shoes before I make a decision.
    Thanks Dragon
    Ben
    Thanks
    Ben
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Glad it worked out to your reputations benefit...losing a couple of bucks aint squat...good job :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Thanks S.O.N.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    And now that you've received positive feedback from Mr. Ebayer,

Pooh Scammer.JPG
    Sal Palooza
  • ben62670
    edited March 2008
    Na. I gave him his money back, and shipping one way. CD changer in the mail probably got broken. I have it here, and haven't even looked at it yet. Sometimes you win when you lose.
    Thanks
    Ben