Panamax M5300EX
Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
Post edited by hockeyboy on

Comments

• treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    I haven't had both, but I've had DirecTV for a very long time in multiple houses and have been a satisfied customer. I lose the sat. signal maybe three times a year for a couple of minutes which ALWAYS indicates a severe storm, be it snow, hail or rain. Not even so much as a hiccup the rest of the year. The DVR recorder is a godsend for pretty cheap per month.

Heard of some minor issues with DN, but can not confirm or link.

My .02 cents...
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • mark090852
    mark090852 Posts: 996
    edited March 2008
    We had Direct Tv for a few years and then switched about a year ago to Dish just because we got a high def tv and at that time Dish had many more high def channels. Not so anymore. Both providers are adding new HD channels.

Bottom line....I think they're both about the same. No signigicant differences. Sure, you can always find people who swear by one or the other but overall they are very similar. Just pick the one who has the best current offers for new customers at the time.
    McIntosh MA252 Integrated Amp, LUMIN D2 Network Music Player, Yamaha Aventage RX-A840 receiver, Emotiva XPA Gen3 2 channel amp, Polk LSiM 703 speakers. Oppo UDP-203 Blu-Ray player, Polk LSiM 705 speakers. Polk Signature S20 speakers.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    I have Dish and like it however I prefer my Comcast digital cable that I had in my apartment but they dont come out here where Im at now.

My dad and a buddy have DirecTV and its good too but when I signed up, Dish had more HD channels and cheaper and better packages. Im sure that changes back and forth tho. Have had no issues or problems except for the receiver losing the picture once or twice a month and I have to reset the receiver. No big deal as you only push the power button for 10 seconds and then wait the 2 minutes for it to re-aquire the signal.

When it first happened I called customer service and got into their automated tech help line which actually is pretty cool. Had zero wait time and had the issue resolved within a couple minutes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    Make sure you read the fine print on any 'WOW' offers. I keep getting 6 months free HD, HD-DVR, yadayadayada. Find out it requires a 2 year contract. I don't like long term contracts.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Antenner. I ain't giving them $600+ for BS. I can buy a ton of movies, and have some for gear at that rate. I like the stereo, and the puter. You guys suck up enough of my time;)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wizzy
    wizzy Posts: 867
    edited March 2008
    This might help.

Make a list of channels you can't live without. Look at packages from Dish & DirecTV.

Sometimes the much cheaper package in one or the other will have the channels you want, where the other one will cost you $20/mo more for one channel you must have.

Check local availability of HD. I've checked for some people and found that they could only get local HD channels from one of them - and they live in an area where antenna's won't cut it for HD.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2008
    I've had both and I like Dish better because they still carry the Voom channels.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    Go for whatever provider supplies "El Gigante Sabado" the cheapest.

It's like the TBT ..... in motion .... on steroids.

I'll probably go with Dish when we do go with a cable provider.
    They offer some cheap packages, and don't require a lot of "You have to add this" stuff.

A guy at work provides satellite TV, ALL channels, ALL movie packages, ALL pay-per-views, dish, and a receiver for $250.

Period.

I don't feel like have the FCC and Satellite Police come knocking on my door when they finally bust him, though, so I'm passing on that service.

EDIT: I meant to say, "I WISH I KNEW a guy .....".
    Yeah.
    Sal Palooza
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Go for whatever provider supplies "El Gigante Sabado" the cheapest.

It's like the TBT ..... in motion .... on steroids.

I'll probably go with Dish when we do go with a cable provider.
    They offer some cheap packages, and don't require a lot of "You have to add this" stuff.

A guy at work provides satellite TV, ALL channels, ALL movie packages, ALL pay-per-views, dish, and a receiver for $250.

Period.

I don't feel like have the FCC and Satellite Police come knocking on my door when they finally bust him, though, so I'm passing on that service.

EDIT: I meant to say, "I WISH I KNEW a guy .....".
    Yeah.

My uncle played theat game, and it cost him over $12,000:eek:
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited March 2008
    I like Directv better. Their newer receivers are doing 7.1 and the sound is more dynamic then on their older receivers. Voom channels are cool but I believe Directv has more HD channels. They both treat to customers (with contracts already) badly IMO. They will do updates constantly with their systems and charge you full price to get equipment to be able to receive the upgraded signals.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.