Basic Tuning starter questions???

Polkemon
Polkemon Posts: 144
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am just getting into the learing how to tune and adjust stuff myself so please help with understanding what I need and the differences and add-ons.
I had installed the PXA-h701 in my car and pulled it out soon after because I was getting very confused with trying to get it set right. I was not sure if I still use the PDX amps crossover or not and so on. as off now I got Alpine 9886 sent to a PDX1000.1 going to a pair of Alpine Type-R 10's and PDX4.150 2ch's going to a set of Alpine TypeX 17Refs 75rms (should I bi-amp these through the Crossover givin them 300rms per side or is that to much.

Difference between Graphic EQ & Perametric EQ and should I have both just starting out?

When you have a HD Unit that has crossover function do you turn that off if running the one on the amp. Another words just one of each(Peri. EQ, Crossover, Graphic EQ) at a time.

I am thinking about getting like a simple Audio Control Crossover and use it instead of the PDX one then maybe adding a Permi. EQ after that and learn it.

Please Help I have been doing alot of reading on this site to learn about all the setting and were to crossover and slopes etc.. but all is getting a bit confusing.

Thanks!
NEWEST RIDE:
2006 Silver Jaguar XKR Coupe with factory BBS 20" and upgraded Brembo Brakes from factory....
Supercharger Pully Upgrade
Air Intake
Mina Exhaust System....

2007 Chevy Tahoe (Daily Driver):
Front Doors POLK sr6500
Amp front JL 450/4
Amp Sub JL 500/1
Sub JL 10w6

(Work Trucks)
2005 Mercury Mountaineer Premier 4.6L V-8
All Stock!!! In the process of changing this.

2002 Chevy Silverado 2500HD 4x4 Crew Cab 6.6L Diesel
Post edited by Polkemon on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    use the h701, the new alpine head units are terrible for tunning.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Polkemon wrote: »
    I am just getting into the learing how to tune and adjust stuff myself so please help with understanding what I need and the differences and add-ons.
    I had installed the PXA-h701 in my car and pulled it out soon after because I was getting very confused with trying to get it set right.

Put it back in. Its the best processor on the market and youd be a dumbass for owning one and not using it. Its like owning a Ferarri but never driving it. I know my way around a 701 pretty well and I can help you. Its not that hard. There are a ton of features in the 5.1 part of it but all you need to worry about it time correction, crossover and EQ.
    Difference between Graphic EQ & Perametric EQ and should I have both just starting out?

You cant use both. Only one or the other. Stick with graphic.
    When you have a HD Unit that has crossover function do you turn that off if running the one on the amp. Another words just one of each(Peri. EQ, Crossover, Graphic EQ) at a time.

Yes, if youre using a crossover at the HU, turn off the ones at the amp. Having 2 different cut off slopes can screw up your sound.
    I am thinking about getting like a simple Audio Control Crossover and use it instead of the PDX one then maybe adding a Permi. EQ after that and learn it.

It would be a waste of money. Youve already got the best piece available in the 701.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D