Just a cheap system.

wbillylee03
wbillylee03 Posts: 2
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a 2000 gmc x-cab that had stock speakers and a Kenwood kdc-4011s head unit. I bought a pair of 651s's for the front and 461p's for the back. It sounded so much better, then I found a Kenwood kdc-x891 on e-bay for $100, that was only 4 months old. I could'nt believe the difference just the change in the head unit made. So for $250 I have a really clean sounding system that cranks pretty good.
I know it does'nt compare to most, but I wanted to stay away from amps, and the exspense. These are my first Polk car speakers and they are just as amazing as my home speakers. I have an old set of monitor 10b's that I bought in '88.
Post edited by wbillylee03 on

Comments

• eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    nice! only thing im gonna say is i recommend u hearing a car with a better setup, u never know, u may just be Wowed enough to want those amps
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Be careful - this thing gets addictive and before you know it youll be wanting the expensive system. We've all had the cheap systems and swore it was all we needed and we were done wasting money on expensive gear. That lasts for a few months and then we just cant stand it any longer! :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    What Mac said:D
    Good to see you are enjoying your system. Watch out for the upgrade bug! Its easier for me in a car. I don't care to go silly extreme. I have an A/D/S amp sitting 4 feet from me, and some A/D/S 320i's. I need a new sub because I am a daddy now. No dual 12's in a bandpass with 1200 watts. I save the critical listening for home where I can enjoy it. When I am driving I like to focus on driving;)
    Welcome to Club Polk
    Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • wbillylee03
    wbillylee03 Posts: 2
    edited March 2008
    I should have called this inexpensive instead of cheap, I got the speakers while Polk had the buy a pair get a pair 1/2 off sale. I have heard the expensive systems and yes they sound incredible, but I use my truck for work and travel so I really can't afford the space on amps and woofers. If it was a car then there would be more room for all that.
    I am amazed at what some of you guys have in car and home systems. I am still using the Pioneer VSX-5000,with Pioneer cassette,cd, and EQ. For speakers I have monitor 10b's, and Bose 501's. I bought my entire system while in the service in '88.
    I will certainly be hitting up you guys for advice on any upgrades.