Tell me whatdya think?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,806
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
A black Lightning with Black Torq Thrust M's

Like this:

lwithttms.gif

I'm diggin' it! Now I just gotta see if AR will custom cut me a set!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2008
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    What size?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2008
    I think they look great! I'd like them even more if there was maybe a 2" front drop, with a 3-4" rear drop to fill in the fender wells. What size wheel you looking at, I think a set of 20's would look pretty bad ****.
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    That would be pretty nice man. Most of those older Mustang/Shelby wheels would look pretty nice on there man.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    I don't know what the correct terminology here is, but are they going to be 'deep dish'? Any polished chrome ledge inside the wheels before you get to the spokes?

Assuming they're large enough to fill up the wheel well decently without being huge, and aren't very heavy, looks pretty good!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2008
    not my favorite shape, but certainly not bad. I am a big fan f the black truck, black rims, with chrome around the outside of the rim like you got there though.

bad **** truck though, really, you could have "hello kitty" rims and truck will still look a little mean :D
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    I like the black on black look.

Too bad it's still a ford.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Black/Black always good....
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Always bet on black!
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    Sorry, they are only going to be a 16 inch size.

I run winter tires in...well, the winter! Right now I have some makeshift rally wheels which are steel Ford wheels painted black with stainless steel trim rings and chrome center caps. But one wheel is damaged and I cannot replace them any more unless I take a gamble in a junkyard wheel. So these would be a 16x8 size to run either all-seasons or winter tires.

I won't be putting 20's on the truck because the sidewalls are too small and actually hurt performance and ride quality. The 18's have ample sidewall for bump absorption and enough flex that they provide positive feedback and break loose progressively. Since the truck does hit road courses from time to time, it pays to have tires that are functional rather than pretty.

I'm not lowering the truck either. It's one of the last few totally stock Lightnings that I know of. I also don't want to lower it because it's not going to get me much in the way of performance and it's going to be purely for aesthetics. Like I said, since it hits the track, function over form. I don't mind the wheel gap. I'm fine with it. I just don't like dropping over 1200 on tires for the 18 inch wheels every year. The Goodyears don't last long at all. Even if you baby them.

I should have said what size I was looking at in the original post. I apologize.

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    I've never liked 20's (or larger) on trucks. You loose a lot of the truck functionallity, heavy loads, jumping the occasional median or curb, etc. I stop at 18's for a truck, 16's will give you a good look and not break the bank on tires as you mentioned.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2008
    I agree, although 20's on the new Chevy seem to work for some reason.

on my truck (1991 GMC Sierra). there is no way I am going over 18.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    You better F'n apologize John.

Lou had to modify his GMC to run dualies in the front AND back.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    I've never liked 20's (or larger) on trucks. You loose a lot of the truck functionallity, heavy loads, jumping the occasional median or curb, etc. I stop at 18's for a truck, 16's will give you a good look and not break the bank on tires as you mentioned.

Cheers,
    Russ

Ed Zachary!

The 16 inch wheels let me run a 255/65VR16 all season from Kumho. They are still rated to 149 MPH so I get my speed rating, they are super sticky but have a 50K mile treadwear warranty so they last a while. On top of that, on 295/45ZR18 Gooryear Eagle F1 costs me about $283. I can buy 3 of the Kumho's for that much. The Kumho's cost me $88 a piece. Since I drive the truck every day for transportation and fun, I gotta find a good balance for both economic reasons and the fun factor.

• Jstas
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    You better F'n apologize John..

I already did! :confused:

• dorokusai
    edited March 2008
    Jstas wrote: »
    Ed Zachary!

The 16 inch wheels let me run a 255/65VR16 all season from Kumho. They are still rated to 149 MPH so I get my speed rating, they are super sticky but have a 50K mile treadwear warranty so they last a while. On top of that, on 295/45ZR18 Gooryear Eagle F1 costs me about $283. I can buy 3 of the Kumho's for that much. The Kumho's cost me $88 a piece. Since I drive the truck every day for transportation and fun, I gotta find a good balance for both economic reasons and the fun factor.

I use Kuhmo's. Most of the local autocrossers use them as well. Cheap and not too bad overall.
  • Jstas
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    I use Kuhmo's. Most of the local autocrossers use them as well. Cheap and not too bad overall.

I like 'em! They perform well in all kinds of weather and they are sticky enough to be able to wring some G's outta them. The Gen 1 Lightning guys use them as a "poor man's drag radial" because if you put some heat in them, they stick like glue. Also, at 88 bones a pop, I'm not that worried about destroying a set through judicious application of the throttle.