37 Years Ago Tonight...

strider
strider Posts: 2,568
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
The Allman Brothers Band played the Fillmore East in New York. They recorded it.

allmanfe.jpg
Wristwatch--->Crisco
Post edited by strider on

Comments

• BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    one of my favorite albums.
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Just picked it up about a month ago. Great concert! I was in my mother's belly when this concert was happening.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    That band stinks.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    So does your foot.

I've got two copies of that one.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2008
    RuSsMaN wrote: »
    So does your foot.

I've got two copies of that one.

I'm needy,pass one along:D
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2008
    I've got this version. Rockin'....
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    I've got mine playing as well
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    I"ve seen the Allmans almost a dozen times. Used to be a summer tradition for us back in the day, when they'd come twice a summer.

SO yeah I love that album, makes me think of summer :)
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    nspindel wrote: »
    I've got this version. Rockin'....

I have...

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East [LIVE] (original CD)

51YYS6QGT7L._AA240_.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East [LIVE] [ORIGINAL RECORDING REMASTERED]

51YYS6QGT7L._AA240_.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band - The Fillmore Concerts [LIVE]

51EQWSV4AAL._AA240_.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East [LIVE] [HYBRID SACD]

61JYY54YR8L._AA240_.jpg

The Allman Brothers Band at Fillmore East [LIVE] [LP]

618b836VauL._AA240_.jpg

Needless to say...I like this album.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2008
    Which one is the best recording Shack?
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • shack
    edited March 2008
    janmike wrote:
    Which one is the best recording Shack?

The SACD. The original LP is quite good. I've never heard the MFSL gold CDs but I understand they are nice as well. However, they are going for $100+ (if you can find it). The Remaster is good as is the Fillmore Concerts (a compilation of more than the original one). The original CD is HORRIBLE. It reminds me of a really bad cassette. I keep it for nostalgia purposes only.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • nspindel
    nspindel Posts: 5,343
    edited March 2008
    Just listened to the mfsl tonight all the way through. So great, nice listen. Thanks for the reminder.
    Good music, a good source, and good power can make SDA's sing. Tubes make them dance.
  • SolidSqual
    SolidSqual Posts: 5,218
    edited March 2008
    God, you old folks lived when all the good tunes were being made . . . you really suck. I wasn't even cooking in the womb until 12 years later. This is an awesome album and a great relic of the times.
  • SBrown712
    SBrown712 Posts: 202
    edited March 2008
    I wish I could remember what year it was that I saw the Allman Brothers play in Chicago. I just checked their web site and it looks like it was 1/70 That sounds about right because I thought it was too long before Duane was killed and I do remember the girl I took to see them. Still one of my favorite bands.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    daboyz wrote: »
    I'm needy,pass one along:D

I don't see a turntable in your sig, you gonna just frame it and hang it on the wall?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2008
    I hooked a pair of speaks up to the Pizzazz pizza maker and a needle from the ol' sewing kit. The sounds a little scratchy but overall not bad for an entry level setup.
  • strider
    edited March 2008
    I may not have noticed the anniversary yesterday had I not received a shipment of records I bought from a guy I usually get my bluegrass lps from. Sounds damn good on vinyl, but I have to give the nod to the SACD for sound quality. Tonight I may try and relive the second night of the recording as well. Getting the concert level sound reproduction isn't tough, it's all the "ambiance" details that make it interesting.

dorokusai wrote: »
    That band stinks.

Bitter 'cause they sent you out for more PBR tallboys when they were taking the picture of the other roadies on the back??
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Greg Allman called my Aunt a ****, and I've never liked him since then.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • strider
    edited March 2008
    Completely understandable then. I'm sorry.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    Screams "Free Bird" from the back row!

Whoops, wrong band :o I never could keep those southern bands all straight in my head! The Allmans, Lynerd Skin, Little Feat, early Boz Scaggs, etc all sound about the same to me, not to say they don't sound good, I just never appreciated the differences between them.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 50,447
    edited March 2008
    One of the all time great performances. The SACD version tops them all.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• skipf
    skipf Posts: 694
    edited March 2008
    Anyone else see them when they were still called "The Allman Joys"?
  • Fongolio
    Fongolio Posts: 3,516
    edited March 2008
    I'm waiting for an SACD of Eat A Peach I bought on Ebay. Another great one from the Allman's
    SDA-1C (full mods)
    Carver TFM-55
    NAD 1130 Pre-amp
    Rega Planar 3 TT/Shelter 501 MkII
    The Clamp
    Revox A77 Mk IV Dolby reel to reel
    Thorens TD160/Mission 774 arm/Stanton 881S Shibata
    Nakamichi CR7 Cassette Deck
    Rotel RCD-855 with modified tube output stage
    Cambridge Audio DACmagic Plus
    ADC Soundshaper 3 EQ
    Ben's IC's
    Nitty Gritty 1.5FI RCM
  • strider
    edited March 2008
    Fongolio wrote: »
    I'm waiting for an SACD of Eat A Peach I bought on Ebay. Another great one from the Allman's

Probably one of the darkest and funniest names for an album, if the story I've heard is true.
    Wristwatch--->Crisco
  • PolkWannabie
    PolkWannabie Posts: 2,763
    edited March 2008
    strider wrote: »
    The Allman Brothers Band played the Fillmore East in New York. They recorded it.

allmanfe.jpg

... and I was there ...
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Greg Allman called my Aunt a ****, and I've never liked him since then.

well that family secret is out.

GG just sent me one of these. I need to give him special thanks.

RT1
  • shack
    edited March 2008
    Fongolio wrote: »

You will enjoy this one. It is an excellent SACD.

• shack
    edited March 2008
    strider wrote: »
    Probably one of the darkest and funniest names for an album, if the story I've heard is true.

If you are referring to the death of Duane...it's not...

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/eatpeach.asp

• strider
    edited March 2008
    shack wrote: »
    If you are referring to the death of Duane...it's not...

http://www.snopes.com/music/hidden/eatpeach.asp

Yeah, that's what I'd heard. Didn't want to quote it without checking it out, thanks for the link. Still a good story though.:)
    Wristwatch--->Crisco