doctor in the house?

AdamRagland
AdamRagland Posts: 521
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
pretty dang sure i have step but i was gonna ask if someone knew more about it. Symptoms: throat and ears hurt like crazy; white spots on tonsils, slight fever (about 100.1) and headaches/bodyaches. went to webmd and wasnt sure if i could tell if i had strep or just a virus. if i can avoid going to the doctor i will. i'm not afraid i just would rather save the money if they are just gonna say "stick it out". ive also read anti-biotics for strep don't actually help your symptoms go away any sooner you just become uncontagious sooner. true or false? if they will help me feel better sooner im all for going to the doc right this second
Post edited by AdamRagland on

Comments

• edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    I say just go cough on everyone you see and see what they end up with.

It does sound like strep, but I have absolutely no medical experience. Hope you feel better.
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    welp...after what I just went through all I can say is get your **** to a doctor.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
  • edbert
    edbert Posts: 1,041
    edited March 2008
    welp...after what I just went through all I can say is get your **** to a doctor.

Chuck

Chuck, he may speak out of his ****, but his tonsils are still in his throat. :D
    I know just enough to be dangerous, but don't tell my wife, she thinks I'm a genius. :D

Pioneer VSX-816
    Monitor 40's - fronts, bi-amped
    Monitor 30's - surrounds
    CS1 - center
    PSW10 - I'll let you guess
    Blue Jeans Cable - speaker cable
    Daewoo 27 incher - one step up from a console
    Sony Progressive scan DVD
    XBOX

SOPA since 2008
    Here's my stuff.
  • Systems
    edited March 2008
    edbert wrote: »
    Chuck, he may speak out of his ****, but his tonsils are still in his throat. :D

its the meds...lingering buzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2008
    Get an appointment
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Penicillin always worked on the first try for me, and I used to get it every year. After the first two pills, I wouldn't take the rest, and would be 50% better already. The white spots are a dead giveaway for strep, and most parents have seen this many, many times. The antibiotics will help, why suffer. You have an Adcom cure coming soon, it got packed today, and goes out tomorrow:D
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    Leeches.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    Is this forum contagious? I am getting sick and im feeling worse by the minute. Will try to get to the dr tomorrow. Go to the dr Adam and I hope you feel better.
  • george daniel
    george daniel Posts: 12,096
    edited March 2008
    Get yourself to a physican,,what you are describing should respond to antibiotics,,,don't mess around with this stuff,,nuff said,,, now,,, make an appointment,hope that you get to feeling better.:)
    JC approves....he told me so. (F-1 nut)
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    strep can become serious if left untreated. I'd go to the doctor. The symptoms of strep are pretty indistinguishable from a viral infection from just looking so it's even harder to tell over the internet. The dr would do one of the 5 min throat cultures to let you know if it's bacterial or not. If it is then they'll probably send you away with an amoxicillin prescription and if it's viral they will probably tell you to take lots of motrin and eat ice pops or something. Any kind of throat issue hurts and it makes eating a horrible experience, if you can, go get the test.

If you do go and you get antibiotics take them all. Not so you do your part and help prevent anti-biotic resistant bacteria from being spread but because when you take antibiotics you are essentially causing a natural selection process to occur in your body. If you only take half of the meds, whatever bacteria are left over are the strong bad **** ones who aren't bothered as much by the antibiotic. You might feel better for a few days until the stronger bacteria reinfect you and then you'll be back in the doctor looking for a new form of treatment.

PS I'm just a lowly pre-med student.
  • rskarvan
    rskarvan Posts: 2,374
    edited March 2008
    If leeches don't work, try blood letting.
  • Systems
    edited March 2008
    Amputation. Off with his head. If that doesn't work you can always smash your thumb with a hammer. You'll focus all your attention on the bleeding thumb and the strep won't seem so bad. You'll get worse and die. But the thumb thing will take your mind off the strep.

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    just got back from the doc. i do indeed have strep. he scolded me for not coming sooner.something interesting though is he did say that the antibiotics dont actually make you feel better it just makes you not contagious after 24hours of taking them. otherwise you could be contagious for several weeks without any symtpoms
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    Glad you went to the dr. I am very close to going myself. I dont think im making it through the day today at work. I feel like crap.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    Don't let him give you those Z-Paks. Supposedly they time release in your body (only 3 pills) but they don't work near as well as the 'cillan family.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • Systems
    edited March 2008
    Did you get a lollypop?

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited March 2008
    Fireman32 wrote: »
    Glad you went to the dr. I am very close to going myself. I dont think im making it through the day today at work. I feel like crap.

get to Dr before coming up here.
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    no lollipop but i did get a nice fanny pat on the way out the door..
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    Don't let him give you those Z-Paks. Supposedly they time release in your body (only 3 pills) but they don't work near as well as the 'cillan family.

I certainly wouldn't say that.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    He'll get a Z pak, no doubt.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Systems
    edited March 2008
    no lollipop but i did get a nice fanny pat on the way out the door..

Thats better

Chuck
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing