Cassettes to CD's

venomclan
venomclan Posts: 2,467
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Hi Guys,
A friend of mine used to be a DJ and has a lot of mixes still on cassette that he cannot replace. He would like to convert these onto a CD. I told him the quality will not be that good but it is mostly dance music and he does not care.

What would be the best way to do this? I have been out of the recording loop and did not know what to tell him. Do current stand alone CD copiers have the analog inputs to record on CD? Can this be done with a writeable computer drive with an RCA to miniphone adapter?Thanks,
Venom
Post edited by venomclan on

Comments

• sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited March 2008
    Get a good pc interface like an EMU0404 from Guitar Center.
    It comes with software, too. Just using the pc soundcard in will make
    a bad recording even worse.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    My Yamaha CDR-HD1300, which is a HD-based player with a CD-R drive, has an analog input. I've recorded to CD from cassette and vinyl before. Works pretty good.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited March 2008
    The real question is- what's the budget?
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2008
    audiobliss wrote: »
    My Yamaha CDR-HD1300, which is a HD-based player with a CD-R drive, has an analog input. I've recorded to CD from cassette and vinyl before. Works pretty good.

I'd imagine most, if not all, standalone CD recorders will have analog inputs. I once used a Philips CD recorder to do a "needle-drop" recording off of a vinyl record and it worked out great.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    The real question is- what's the budget?

Not very high as his only intent is to transfer these once and he is not an audio nut like us. :)