International Shipping

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I've got someone interested in buying my MF headphone amp over on Head-Fi. The problem is he lives in Portugal.

I went to the USPS website to calculate shipping to Portugal and it only comes to $43 with all the insurance I need. That sounds too low to me.

Anyone have any experience with this, doe sthat sound about right to send a package Priority Mail to Portugal? Other than Insurance, should I add Pickup On demand, doesn't say what it is.

There are a couple options, one for Flat Rate Box and the other for Large Flat Rate box, but the site doesn't tell me what the difference between the two is, so I don't know which to use...

I'm trying to give this guy a quote on shipping, and don't know what to choose.

What about Customs, do I have to pay anything for that, or does he do that?
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    Price doesn't sound too low.
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    It looks like with USPS that you have to ship with their boxes?
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    From the website.
    The Priority Mail Large Flat Rate Box (LFRB) has outer dimensions of 12 1/4" x 12 1/4 x 6" with inner dimensions of 12" x 12" x 5.5" and is 50% larger then the current flat-rate box offering.
    • The contents of the flat rate box must be neatly contained inside the box with adhesive packaging tape.
    • The box must close securely and retain its shape when taped with adhesive.
    • The shape of the box may not be changed or enlarged to fit its contents.

I don't know why they don't just tell you the dimensions of the flat-rate box. Instead they make it a homework assignment in math :rolleyes:
    I've sent a couple packages to Australia before and they cost in the $46 range. I've never used the flat-rate boxes but my own were similar in size. I'm pretty sure the pricing is very similar if you use your own box of similar dimensions. What I normally do is give a quote and tell them that if it's significantly more, then I'll have to refund or renegotiate shipping. If I get a decent deal on the item I'm willing to eat a few bucks.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited March 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »

I don't think you have to. I've always boxed my stuff myself but I'm not 100% sure of which shipping method I've used. Is priority 1-2 week delivery or less?
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »

No, you can use your own.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    He should take care of any tax/duties payment on Portuguese customs. You should make sure he knows that up front (I'm sure he does).

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    OK, I'm retarded, I get it now. The Flat rate box are rates for if you use their box, up to a certain weight, the Priority Mail International is that actual rate I'm looking for, and changes with the weight I enter. It was throwing me because it never asked for dimensions anywhere, but looks like it's based solely on weight.

So do I need to add Return Receipt or Pick up on Demand?
  • dragon1952
    edited March 2008
    Nah, you don't need that. The P.O. can track the package, if necessary, using the label receipt number and you'll have that receipt as proof that you shipped it. What I'll normally do is make a copy of the receipt and email it to the buyer.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited March 2008
    No, just fill out the customs form and go ship it. Done.
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.