New study from the CDC- not good

sucks2beme
sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
http://health.usnews.com/usnews/health/healthday/080311/one-in-4-teen-girls-has-a-sexually-transmitted-disease.htm

What's really interesting is how both the abstinence-only and
Planned Parenthood groups blame each other. The NY Times takes
the side of PP. I blame them all. Condoms help a lot, but can't protect
against them all. They also fail. Reality check is we have a problem.
This is a crisis that may spell big trouble in the next 10 years.
I don't have a solution. But when a group of Americans has almost a
50% rate of infection, we are in big trouble.
"The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
Post edited by sucks2beme on

Comments

• shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    Whats the world coming to when there is less of a chance of catching something from the middle aged woman at the bar then the 19 year old college student :eek:
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • phuz
    phuz Posts: 2,372
    edited March 2008
    Not suprising or really alarming. 80% Americans have an STD (HPV Virus), they just don't know it because only 11% of those people ever have symptoms in their lifetime.
  • Gaara
    Gaara Posts: 2,415
    edited March 2008
    Extrapolating a test of 838 subjects to 13mil? I always wonder how valid these results are, then again I am a skeptic whenever stats are given.
  • MikeC78
    MikeC78 Posts: 2,315
    edited March 2008
    Very strange, I just learned the same fact today in my own hometown's newspaper...

1 in every 4 female college student attending ISU(Illinois State University) has a known disease, more common is the Herpes virus. Really sad...

Glad my days of being single are over.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    Not good news at all. :(
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2008
    Gaara wrote: »
    Extrapolating a test of 838 subjects to 13mil? I always wonder how valid these results are, then again I am a skeptic whenever stats are given.

I noticed that too. The subject sample is way too low to begin making any sweeping conclusions or request changes in health policy.
  • shadowofnight
    shadowofnight Posts: 2,735
    edited March 2008
    I guess them starting to have sex now at 11 or 12 instead of 15 or 16 like when I was in school lets them have that many more years of swapping germs before they hit 19 :(

And " Hooking Up " means a HELL of a lot more nowadays then it did when I was that age in school...hell back then at that age some tonsil hocky and a few feels after buying them a soda was par for the course :)
    The first rule of Fight Club is you don't talk about Fight Club
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited March 2008
    The 1 in 4 statistic is not new, that's the same as it was 10+ years ago.
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    I guess them starting to have sex now at 11 or 12 instead of 15 or 16 like when I was in school lets them have that many more years of swapping germs before they hit 19 :(

And " Hooking Up " means a HELL of a lot more nowadays then it did when I was that age in school...hell back then at that age some tonsil hocky and a few feels after buying them a soda was par for the course :)

The problem with HPV is that you do not need to have sex to spread it. Skin to skin contact can cause infection. That is why condoms do not work with HPV, it is a lot more difficult to catch HIV or Herpes 1 & 2 than HPV. Many people have it and do not know it.
    Venom
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    I blame Goria Steinham. She started this whole mess.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Looks like I gotta stick with the cougars.....
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    It's no suprise to me and I'm just wondering when my 13 year old niece announces she's pregnant based the stellar parenting skills of my sister in-law. Kids stopped being smart 10 years ago.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    venomclan wrote: »
    The problem with HPV is that you do not need to have sex to spread it. Skin to skin contact can cause infection. That is why condoms do not work with HPV, it is a lot more difficult to catch HIV or Herpes 1 & 2 than HPV. Many people have it and do not know it.
    Venom

A relative of mine just went a few rounds with this.Women can have it their whole life,no harm,no foul,others...developes into cervical cancer.They are pushing for young women to get the shot before becomming sexualy active.And men carry it also,and can transmit by sexual contact,but there is no test available for a guy.There are over 60 different kinds of hpv and the shot covers 4. Mind you those 4 are about 70% of the cases,but needless to say,even getting the shot doesn't mean you'll never get it.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    Don't believe those numbers. The CDC is known to inflate health statistics because it's in their best interest to do so -- they can advocate for more federal funding.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Crap article. Saying HPV is an STD, is like saying the herpes cold sore is an STD. It may be true in some sense, but when the majority of the population has some form of it, it's not freekin news. Overblown. It stated 2% herpes, and 4% chlamydia. That is way better than in my day when both were very prevalent. Chlamydia was up to 25% or something in that age group, where is the article about the 600% improvement. Not a huge deal anyway since it's 100% curable. Bullshyt.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    Either way, here we are in the information age, and yet we seem to be
    having 3rd world type problems.

If you check the links on the web, both sides are using the
    results of the study to prop up their viewpoints. Both sides
    are right and wrong. And there is no middle ground. Thus, no progress.
    Knowledge, social attitudes, and the media need to change.

Is it really accurate? Who knows. Studies are quite often flawed.
    And it pays to be flawed, big time. But this one has a ring of truth to it.

I pushed both views on my boys. Be carefull. Condoms are NOT magic.
    But use them with the thought that all casual sex carries a risk.
    Condoms work most of the time, but not always. They seem to
    be restrained, but I'm sure they're NOT virgins. Just not wild and crazy.

Moderation, common sense, and honest talk go a lot farther to solve the
    problem than all the left wing-right wing bullshot.
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • The Judge
    The Judge Posts: 60
    edited March 2008
    Why can't they be be like we were?, Perfect in every way!
    What's the matter with Kids today?
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    sucks2beme wrote: »
    Either way, here we are in the information age, and yet we seem to be
    having 3rd world type problems.

If you check the links on the web, both sides are using the
    results of the study to prop up their viewpoints. Both sides
    are right and wrong. And there is no middle ground. Thus, no progress.
    Knowledge, social attitudes, and the media need to change.

Is it really accurate? Who knows. Studies are quite often flawed.
    And it pays to be flawed, big time. But this one has a ring of truth to it.

I pushed both views on my boys. Be carefull. Condoms are NOT magic.
    But use them with the thought that all casual sex carries a risk.
    Condoms work most of the time, but not always. They seem to
    be restrained, but I'm sure they're NOT virgins. Just not wild and crazy.

Moderation, common sense, and honest talk go a lot farther to solve the
    problem than all the left wing-right wing bullshot.

Is that a haiku?
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • sucks2beme
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    Is that a haiku?

A what? Google to the rescue.
    No. Run out of deli meat?
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Blow up dolls don't have any STD's, unless she is unfaithful to your sorry asses. :eek: :p:D
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Thank god for penicillin.
    -Ignorance is strength -
  • CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008
    couple points on this, allow me to contribute since this stuff is in my wheelhouse of knowledge..

about 90 percent of population has HSV 1 (herpes), probably really everyone has it but it doesnt show on tests. commonly called Cold sores or fever blisters, it is a "sexually transmitted disease" most common cause of infection though is from mother to child (remember all those loving kisses on the face...) so right there, if that statistic is not sorted out, all those percentages mean jackshit...

HSV2... the herpes you dont want... can occur both down there..and on your face... via oral sex. the difference is the severity and frequency of outbreaks...

when and if most doctors test you for an std they do not distinguish between the two types. If you or your partner are being tested... (i make every woman I date get tested), you have to tell the doctor to do a SELECT TYPE 2 on the HSV test... dont even bother with HSV1, it will most likely be positive and then just freak out your partner if they have not been tested or WORSE, get tested for type 1 and then dont show a positive, try convincing someone that gets a negative that it is a false negative..geesh..
    you can cross infect a type 2 virus so oral play is really not something i go along with until they get tested..having sold in the arena, i just dont want to roll the dice..

HPV. are genital warts. there are over 100 strains of this virus, a couple cause the ugly bumps you do not want to see on your frank or beans. The problem with this one is, you usually cant see them on the ladies because they lurk on the inside, so unless you have a miners hat and repelling harness you're SOL... a dead give away is if you happen to be playing around and you think you are reading brail, get the F outta dodge...(im partially joking about the brail thing) The problem with a general test is it can be a false positive (kind of, yes it is positive for HPV, but is it the strain that causes warts), again they would need to do a selective culture to determine the strain and see if it is one of the bad ones. Women should take this seriously because some of the strains have a marked increase in cervical cancer as noted.

HEPATITIS C.. get tested for this, also do the others A &B, but C is the liver killer, it is a silent killer and can exist for DECADES without causing a problem. then one day you go to the doc and find out you are in liver failure. about 80 percent of the cases in america are veterans. mostly vietnam era vets.. they think transfusions or cross contamination when they were given those shots in the arm one after another..was the source of the infection for most of them... usually transmited via sex or drug use.. sharing a rolled up dollar bill to snort coke etc.. can be transmited via saliva or blood, so sharing a bottle of water or tooth brush with an infected person could transmit. there are various genetic strains of the C virus, some are worse than others and more resistant to the anti-virals, though I do know 1 person that kicked the worse version and their viral count remains undetectable, not the usual outcome for that strain)

HIV.. well, you rolled the dice and crapped out big time... might as well buy that girl a ring cause you dont want to have to explain that one to the next girl...talk about a sales call. good news is the meds are so good now, you actually have the first generation of seniors with HIV, many of whom are dying from other unrelated natural causes. It is no longer a death sentence, but it certainly is a social death sentence.

as for the young ladies..
    they really are giving it out in high school like never before... I have a young cousin, who says with mcdonalds and a movie he is in... and he is the Wine and diner of his group. that's all it takes at the max, most of them get it just as a matter of fact, i remember in high school you had to be exclusively dating for a while to get nook, except maybe 1 or 2 girls that had a rep. The other thing that is disappointing especially for those of you with young daughters, the girls dont consider oral as sex... just something you do to get the guys off.... man... I wish I was back in high school... maybe this is an instance where a daughter can actually teach the mom something...

Hope my post was both informative and humorous.
    If you are single, get tested, and demand your new friend does as well...
    I do, and then we have a trade papers date.. it may not be sexy for five minutes out of one night, but herpes is never sexy ever again...
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    Good post man. Although I think your cousin may be overstating (to impress you?) - I was in high school not too long ago and it was not quite as extreme as he describes it.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • CAvolleyballguy
    edited March 2008
    yeah, I definitely factor in young guy b.s. factor, but he is a really good looking kid, ripped abs, (i hate him)... so I have no doubt he mops it up, that and he likes to party, i know in college, alcohol and drugs always helped my cause...did i say that out loud..whoops..
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited March 2008
    didn't they count cold sores as an STD? I'm pretty sure that's what the herpes simplex virus is...and what is an atopic pregnancy, did they mean ectopic?

I was in high school not too long ago (3 years) and it was definitely that easy. ****, the middle schoolers in my town are getting pregnant.
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    Gaara wrote: »
    Extrapolating a test of 838 subjects to 13mil? I always wonder how valid these results are,
    MikeC78 wrote: »
    Very strange, I just learned the same fact today in my own hometown's newspaper...
    PolkThug wrote: »
    The 1 in 4 statistic is not new, that's the same as it was 10+ years ago.
    Early B. wrote: »
    Don't believe those numbers. The CDC is known to inflate health statistics because it's in their best interest to do so -- they can advocate for more federal funding.
    Crap article. Overblown.

While I have always believed, and correctly so IMO, that your average Club Polker probably has a few extra eggs in their brain basket (nice metaphor, huh ?!), these typical responses made me go "Ahhhhh".

....and that's in a good way.

It boils down to "We've got product to move people, let's get the PR Department on OT and get this stuff out the door !!".

An interesting little exercise might be to find out what Pharmaceutical company(s) are involved with the HPV vaccination drugs. I'd wager that their actual sales are far below the projected sales of their product.

So what's one of the best way to get folks to buy something ?

Scare them or introduce fear, with the only way to maintain their security is with their product.

As Dire Straits said,
    "We've got to move these refrigerators
    We've got to move these colour TV's".

Also: IMO, you can rest assured that some/numerous government officials have a financial interest in these pharmaceutical company(s).
    And that is not a political jab at any party, because that would be true irregardless of the party in power.

Because: "...That's the way you do it
    Money for nothing......"
    Sal Palooza
  • CAvolleyballguy
    edited March 2008
    bluelight;

i remember about a year ago down in texas the state stepped in and blocked a school district's initiative to give free HPV vaccines to the young women, state stepped in and said it was promoting sexual activity... i was embarrassed for republicans that day..most asinine (sp) thing i think i heard that year, young women should take it, just because there are many ways to get it as venom stated. if you have younger daughters look into it... they could get hpv by sharing clothes, gymnastic equipment, etc etc..

not sure of all the details about the state thing, maybe someone from texas remembers.
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    Anytime medicine is available for free is a good thing,as long as it's voluntary and not forced on you by law.I find it odd though,since the shot for hpv is given in 3 seperate shots a couple months apart.....odd for a school district to keep track of all that.Most doctors will not give the shot untill they test you first,and if you do have it,they need to take a sample to see if the cells are cancerous or not.Followed by treatment,then,depending on that,will give you the shot.So there is more to it than just getting a single shot,and I can see why maybe it was turned down.Visits to your doctor is first and foremost.Possible it was aimed at the illegals in Texas too,just a thought.
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds

Cables-
    Acoustic zen Satori speaker cables
    Acoustic zen Matrix 2 IC's
    Wireworld eclipse 7 ic's
    Audio metallurgy ga-o digital cable

Kitchen

Sonos zp90
    Grant Fidelity tube dac
    B&k 1420
    lsi 9's
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2008
    bluelight;

i remember about a year ago down in texas the state stepped in and blocked a school district's initiative to give free HPV vaccines to the young women, state stepped in and said it was promoting sexual activity... i was embarrassed for republicans that day..most asinine (sp) thing i think i heard that year, young women should take it, just because there are many ways to get it as venom stated. if you have younger daughters look into it... they could get hpv by sharing clothes, gymnastic equipment, etc etc..

not sure of all the details about the state thing, maybe someone from texas remembers.

Actually, I thought it was the other way around? Rick Perry, all by himself, signed an order stating all girls were to be vaccinated against HPV unless their parents signed a form stating they didn't want it. Everyone got pissed that he did it without the legislature and for the fact the Merck gave him a tidy sum of money. I don't remember the end result.
  • PhantomOG
    PhantomOG Posts: 2,409
    edited March 2008
    Whatever happened to bird flu? Wasn't that supposed to wipe everyone off the face of the earth a few years ago?