Am I a jackass?

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I may have just done a jackass thing...here's the situation:

I'm selling something on another forum that I'm relatively inactive on. I listed it for a decent price, but not a steal really. I get immediate interest from a few people, but no deals have been set yet.

I get someone (a senior member of that forum) that PMs me and says he'll give me 150% of my asking price for it. After some brief thought, I decide that I don't have any deals in the works yet and it's a free market and tell the guy I'll do the deal with him.

That was maybe 20 minutes ago. Now I'm second-guessing that decision, thinking it was the wrong thing to do. I can't go back to that guy now and tell hhim the deal's off, so I'll have to live with my choice.

I'm actually hoping at this point that he'll change his mind and decide it's to much (I think it is).

I made that decision rather quickly, and had I taken more time to think about it probably would have done otherwise, but what's that sy about my instincts...
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    What do you feel bad about? You set an offering price, and someone was stupid enough to give you significantly more. They knew what you were willing to take and could have in good conscience offered it or something slightly more. It's their decision, you're just reaping the benefits.

If you feel bad for ditching the other people you were dealing with; like you said, it's a free market, you're in it to get the best deal you can, and someone was willing to give you extra. Sold, and with a clear conscience if it were me.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    totally agree......it's up to them to offer the money........easy enough
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited March 2008
    if you think you are, well.......nothing more to say.

Money is not everything, but it does not though seem to be place where the members do not back stab each other.

RT1
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    DITTO! I just went through the exact same thing with something on A-gon.
  • Ricardo
    Ricardo Posts: 10,636
    edited March 2008
    Well, I would let the others know that someone is serious about buying it, and if someone that showed interest first wants it, I'd sell it to that person for my asking price.

But then I am a jackass :rolleyes:

2008 & 2010 Football Pool WINNER
    SOPA
    Thank God for different opinions. Imagine the world if we all wanted the same woman
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
    edited March 2008
    Yeah, it was the wrong decision, but the damage has been done so I'll just have to live with it at this point. I'm dissapointed that my instinct reaction was to go for the extra coin even though I passed up someone else who showed interest first in the process...
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    Offer made...accepted...done deal.

What is there to feel sorry about.

The buyer evidently wants it...bad enough to make a deal closing offer. The others while interested had made no offer...right?

It was not the wrong decision.

COME ON DOWN...THE PRICE IS RIGHT!
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    So what was the item?
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2008
    I think you're a jackass for even feeling guilty that he made the offer to give you 150% of your asking price! ;)

Damn ****, you didn't hold a gun to his head. Sell it and feel good about it. If you feel guilty, bring the $$$ above your asking price to Polkfest and buy the beer and crabs! :D
    No excuses!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2008
    What is there to feel sorry about? Others expressed interest, but no firm offers to buy.

This guy made a firm offer to buy, he didn't have to think about it, discuss it with his SO, pray for a special sign asking for direction.

He said I have the money & I want it & you said OK!

You dither you lose. If you're not really ready to deal, don't express interest.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • daboyz
    daboyz Posts: 5,207
    edited March 2008
    Sold!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    If you were selling your house would you have a problem with taking an offer like that?

I know I wouldn't.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    You're not a jackass unless you committed to sell it to someone else.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    P.T. Barnum said it best: "Never give a sucker an even break!"
    I wouldn't feel too bad. It's not like the checks cleared yet. Maybe the guy's a LOON, who made the offer while wearing a tin foil pirate hat?!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    send me the extra cash.. and you'll feel a lot better about the deal ;)

you're not a jackass, he's silly for offering 150% the price of the item, you're just a smart businessman.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Lowell_M
    Lowell_M Posts: 1,660
    edited March 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    P.T. Barnum said it best: "Never give a sucker an even break!"
    I wouldn't feel too bad. It's not like the checks cleared yet. Maybe the guy's a LOON, who made the offer while wearing a tin foil pirate hat?!

Crap.... How is it possible that you can see my tin foil pirate hat?!:confused: I knew they were spying on me... I just knew it!!!! Where are the cameras! Was it THEM that made you do it?
    HT
    RTi70 mains
    CSi30 center
    RTi28 Rears
    Velodyne CHT-12
    H/K AVR-247
    ADCOM GFA-7000
    Samsung PN58B860
    Playstation 3

2-Channel
    Polk Audio LSi15's
    Rotel RCD-1072
    Nakamichi CA-5 Pre
    ADCOM GFA-555
    Signal Cable Analog II IC's
    Signal Ultra Bi-Wire Speaker Cables
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »
    I get immediate interest from a few people, but no deals have been set yet.
    So what's the problem? Interest is one thing, a deal is another.

Now if you had committed to hold the item for one that was interested, then yes.......you are a Jackass.

My .02 cents........
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~