Audio Jobs...

jakelm
jakelm Posts: 4,081
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
Just curious as to how many of us are in the audio buisness.

Audio, to many of us, is a passion. I, have a passion for DIY audio. But was very curious as to what type of jobs are avaliable for this type of "passion/tallent"?

Somebody has to build speakers, somewhere. So what type of education and/or studies, does someone have to have to get into the audio design buisness? Where to look?

Alot of us talk about and spend all of our pass-time dealing with new designs, new products and testings.

So with that said:

Would you consider doing it as a full time job? What would be a salary, you would like (realisticly)? What would you like to do, in the audio industry?
Monitor 7b's front
Monitor 4's surround
Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
M10's back surround
Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
Harman/Kardon AVR-635
Oppo 981hd
Denon upconvert DVD player
Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
Mit RPTV WS-55513
Tosh HD-XA1
B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
Post edited by jakelm on

Comments

• nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    I'm actually trying to get a summer job in my home town with a company that does equipment installation, live performance support, etc. I run the sound for my church when I'm home as a volunteer and I really enjoy it.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    I would love to be in National Sales for a terrific audio company. The trouble is that I am one of two national sales reps for a 700 million a year company, and unlikely to find a like paying job. Man I am sick of my job right now though.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • jakelm
    edited March 2008
    nms wrote: »
    I'm actually trying to get a summer job in my home town with a company that does equipment installation, live performance support, etc. I run the sound for my church when I'm home as a volunteer and I really enjoy it.

Installs it one thing. Dont get me wrong, its great and alot of fun.

But I was speaking more along the line of speaker design. This would be something I would love to do for a living, but you never see an ad in the paper for speaker design help needed..lol
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• jakelm
    edited March 2008
    Yor right Zero. To know someone who knows someone who knows someone, always helps.

Just curious how most, way back when, were not electronic engineers. Just guys with great imagination and tallent. I wish I was in that era again.

It really doesnt take an electronic egineer to build/design a speaker.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    I was and wouldn't mind again getting into design and manufacturing of tweeks for 2 channel audio. Just as before the money is no object I just really enjoyed the challenge, R & D, testing and manufacturing.
  • jakelm
    edited March 2008
    I was and wouldn't mind again getting into design and manufacturing of tweeks for 2 channel audio. Just as before the money is no object I just really enjoyed the challenge, R & D, testing and manufacturing.

Yep, as many free hours I put in at home tweaking this and that, it could be a full time job.
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    M10's back surround
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

• janmike
    janmike Posts: 6,146
    edited March 2008
    My retirement job will be in the audio business. A few hours a week just so I do not go crazy. Or that I do not drive the wife crazy. Selling High End would be fun especially if you do not need the money.
    Michael ;)
    In the beginning, all knowledge was new!

NORTH of 60°
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    I am really serious about getting into designing HiFi on a MidFi budget. I have been spending so much time reading, repairing, modifying, and building stuff audio. The overly complicated designs of mass produced under built junk that is out there can be kept by the ****, and chinese. I want to build on tried, and true HiFi designs, and offer them at realistic prices. For my own personal use it started with speakers, and moved onto cables. I have fixed a lot of electronics, and have been messing with active filters, and preamp ideas lately. It is not rocket science to build some great quality stuff. One of the most rewarding endeavors has been the cables. Don't get me wrong I absolutely love the performance of my 7 foot SDA's, sonosub, and a pair of SDA-SRS's that I built, but I can not share speakers as easily as cables. It is very gratifying to hear people comparing my cables to those that cost substantially more than the ones I build, and they like mine more than theirs.

I am definitely going to build a Pre/active filter that has selectable tube or SS stages. You would be able to change your whole system with a flick of the switch. Want SS on the lows, but tubes on the highs. No problem. Tube on both? No problem. A great recording just done right. SS high, and low;) I have some SACD's, and some Cd's that are just awesome SS, but I have a whole bunch that a tube buffer would just slap the edginess off the digital recordings. As it is I have not heard of one person here that has the ability to go from one to the other with the flick of the switch. People have one style rig, or the other. Some have both, or more. It took a lot of failures in cable design to get what I wanted, and was willing to put my name on. Its going to take some time to get what I want to show done with the electronics, but I am very excited about this project. I am so hoping to hook up with some locals in Ga that have my passion about audio. To me when I sit down in the sweet spot, and something I have done on the cheap just blows my mind is one of the best feelings. I literally get goose bumps, and the hair on the back of my neck stands up. Its well worth the frustration of many failures, and sleepless nights:)
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • 20hz
    20hz Posts: 636
    edited March 2008
    I just saw a guy on ebay selling in 1 auction
    2 sda's
    2 monitor 10's
    2 monitor 5's
    This was for a 7.1 system than never happened, I would post the ebay # but I would not want people to think 20hz is a advertiser, I just saw it..
    I thought club polksters should see this.
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    20hz wrote: »
    I just saw a guy on ebay selling in 1 auction
    2 sda's
    2 monitor 10's
    2 monitor 5's
    This was for a 7.1 system than never happened, I would post the ebay # but I would not want people to think 20hz is a advertiser, I just saw it..
    I thought club polksters should see this.

It's been posted a few days ago. But yeah, hell of a 7.1 system!
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    I am definitely going to build a Pre/active filter that has selectable tube or SS stages. You would be able to change your whole system with a flick of the switch. Want SS on the lows, but tubes on the highs. No problem. Tube on both? No problem. A great recording just done right. SS high, and low;) I have some SACD's, and some Cd's that are just awesome SS, but I have a whole bunch that a tube buffer would just slap the edginess off the digital recordings. As it is I have not heard of one person here that has the ability to go from one to the other with the flick of the switch.

That's interesting. I recently ordered a customized piece of equipment that performs a similar function with a flick of the switch. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I'm surprised no one (as far as I know) sells something like you're describing. Go for it. Build a selectable tube/SS/passive pre in one box so the customer has three options to choose from.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Early B. wrote: »
    That's interesting. I recently ordered a customized piece of equipment that performs a similar function with a flick of the switch. It should arrive in the next couple of weeks.

I'm surprised no one (as far as I know) sells something like you're describing. Go for it. Build a selectable tube/SS/passive pre in one box so the customer has three options to choose from.

Passive. I like that. I have a super simply passive that I built for testing that is really neat for nice clean simple listening. For my personal box I would still need to power the XO. I have done passive on the line level, and you loose too much of the music. Dying to see what you are getting.

Ben
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben