Sharp HD TV, and HD antennas

burdette
burdette Posts: 1,194
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
We've been shopping for a new computer monitor. We're on our third Craig's List cheapy in a little over a year.

I saw this deal in the Office Depot flyer in Sunday's paper.

http://www.officedepot.com/a/products/600485/LCD/

Here is Sharp's page on the unit:

http://www.sharpusa.com/products/ModelLanding/0,1058,1937,00.html

It's an actual HDTV with built-in tuner.

The contrast ratio is listed at 400:1, which is quite a bit less than other LCD monitors. The warranty is only 1 yr parts, 90 days labor, which seems pretty common for televisions, but it sort of bothers me given some monitor warranties are as long as 3 years complete.

Just curious about opinions... does this seem like a good deal? Any red flags pop up (like the contrast ratio?)... any thoughts appreciated.... $250 is a lot of money for us.

Second: I've been doing some reading on indoor HD antennas, in case I decide to buy this Sharp unit. Some articles say you can just about use the old rabbit ears. There are quite a few "HD" antennas in the $30-$40 range (Terk, Zenith, Philips). Just looking for any insight, lessons learned, what to watch out for, etc.

Thanks.
Post edited by burdette on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    i don't know anything about that Sharp unit.. i have no experience with it.. but see if you can test it out in your home and are allowed to return it if you don't like it say within 3 to 5 days. WITHOUT a restocking fee.

Here is one very similar to the one I bought about 3 month's, it's an LG monitor

the contrast radio is incredible.. mine is 5000:1 it's bright, and things look great on it. and it might fit your budget too. :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/olspage.jsp?skuId=8739074&type=product&id=1201913867265
    this one has a 10,000:1 contrast ratio. If you have a Best Buy in your city, you may want to go check it out.

good luck.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    I have a similar LG HDTV at my place in IA. It works pretty well. I'm out in the country a ways outside of Des Moines, so using the old rabbit ears from my previous TV was OK, but when I switched to a $19.95 HD antenna from Radio Shack it did make a nice improvement.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited March 2008
    i have had a 32" sharp lcd for about 2 years now. still tickin just fine.
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited March 2008
    also is 400:1 the native or dynamic contrast? some manufacturers only list the dynamic because its a much higher number. if that is native, its really not bad. if its dynamic its quite bad
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited March 2008
    As far as HDTV antennas go, the best ones are the same as old non-hdtv antennas. I've used everything from rabbit ears to those special terk blade antennas to get great reception on over the air HD broadcasts.

The same things that work to boost signal reception with regular TV also work with HDTV signals. The main difference is that HDTV tends to be all or nothing. So although you don't have to worry about lines and snow, weak signals will still mean that the station just can't be tuned in.

I've found that my best reception has been to just use one of those big old rooftop antennas. I also put an electronic signal booster on it and I get great reception with all the over the air local signals. Don't pay more money for a special HDTV antenna. If it works with non-digital, it will work just fine with HDTV over the air.
  • cheddar
    cheddar Posts: 2,390
    edited March 2008
    Also, my sharp hdtv has an optical out. Definitely something to look for as broadcast HD signals often include surround sound, especially during prime time. And you might want a way to pass the signal to a receiver/pre at some point.
  • burdette
    burdette Posts: 1,194
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for the information.

It is a moot point as of now. No Office Depot in the KC metro has the TV, and it is no longer available online.

Sort of cranks me off.... but oh well.