ATM photo of murderer and second?`

AdamRagland
AdamRagland Posts: 521
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
was reading this story on fox news yesterday and looking at the ATM photo i really don't think i see a second person. it looks like the guy has a hoodie on over his huge fro thats bulging out of the side. wanted to see if you guys had another opinion?

7_63_030808_uncpic.jpg
Post edited by AdamRagland on

Comments

• dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited March 2008
    Look in the back seat! I think when they enhanced the photo in the forensics lab they saw the shape of another person in the back seat.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • BaggedLancer
    BaggedLancer Posts: 6,371
    edited March 2008
    Unless there is someone hiding in his fro, then no, there is no second person.
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    anyone know where the enhanced version is?
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    heres the enhanced version:

3-9-2008-2-43-55-PM-8879296.JPG
  • bobman1235
    bobman1235 Posts: 10,822
    edited March 2008
    I could believe there's someone in the back seat... if you look around the driver's head rest I could imagine that's a person. Certainly not conclusive of anything though.
    If you will it, dude, it is no dream.
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    Too much black in the picture(the car, fools). If that car was white maybe it would have been easier to contrast an image of a person in that back seat. I don't really see it.
  • dkg999
    edited March 2008
    I know that the forensics labs have some incredible equipment to enhance photo's, so my guess is someone found something credible. It will be a little embarrasing with all the news releases if they didn't.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    i wasnt sure if they really had amazing things to enhance photos or if thats just what you see on cop shows and csi of them zooming through the wall at 1200 yards and making a crystal clear picture of a persons face.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    That looks like someone in the back seat for sure.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2008
    Damn back seat drivers. Just cant seem to get rid of them..
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2008
    dkg999 wrote: »
    I know that the forensics labs have some incredible equipment to enhance photo's, so my guess is someone found something credible. It will be a little embarrasing with all the news releases if they didn't.

Yeah, the really incredible equipment is Photoshop. You can't create much information that isn't there; a grainy photo is grainy because information isn't there. Any fancy equipment is at best guessing

Repeat after me, CSI isn't real
  • BaggedLancer
    edited March 2008
    bobman1235 wrote: »
    Repeat after me, CSI isn't real

CSI is definitely real! They said so on TV! I saw it with my own eyes....they have them in Miami, New York, and Las Vegas!
  • Demiurge
    Demiurge Posts: 10,874
    edited March 2008
    CSI is definitely real! They said so on TV! I saw it with my own eyes....they have them in Miami, New York, and Las Vegas!

Watch the First 48 or Crime 360 on A & E where they follow real life CSI as murders happened. It's amazingly addictive watching those two shows.
    The fictional TV CSI isn't real, obviously, but they have a shitload of impressive tools to catch people starting out with what seems like nothing.

Anyhow, Bobman's point stands about the picture. They can't create what isn't there with a photo. If the camera taking the picture is low resolution they can't magically recreate a high rez image from it. It's completely impossible. I'm sure we're not privy to other details that tells them there may have been a second person. It certainly wasn't this photo that led them to that conclusion.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    Must...Resist...Tempation to re-post...TRON...photo from Photoshop...
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • dkg999
    edited March 2008
    Bobman - it may be photoshop, but the equipment/software I have seen runs on dedicated Apple/Mac graphics hardware and has people with some training running it. They can even take a photo of a face and based on some other data do an aging of the photo to show what that person might look like after so many years. It also has algorithms to do best guesses to enhance a photo pixel by pixel. It may not be more than what photoshop can do, but it sure looked neat when I saw the demo.
    DKG999

• AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    bobman is right though. your ability to enhance is only as good as the equipment that took the original photo. an image enhancer cant create information that isnt there. it can only enhance what is there.
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    my favorite about csi is that no one ever uses a mouse to control the computer. some how they just always type and everything navigates by keystrokes. by the way CSI MIami blows
  • jakelm
    jakelm Posts: 4,081
    edited March 2008
    bobman is right though. your ability to enhance is only as good as the equipment that took the original photo. an image enhancer cant create information that isnt there. it can only enhance what is there.

They could run it through my Oppo or my XA1 at 1080p./...:D
    Monitor 7b's front
    Monitor 4's surround
    Frankinpolk Center (2 mw6503's with peerless tweeter)
    M10's back surround
    Hafler-200 driving patio Daytons
    Tempest-X 15" DIY sub w/ Rythmik 350A plate amp
    Dayton 12" DVC w/ Rythmik 350a plate amp
    Harman/Kardon AVR-635
    Oppo 981hd
    Denon upconvert DVD player
    Jennings Research (vintage and rare)
    Mit RPTV WS-55513
    Tosh HD-XA1
    B&K AV5000

Dont BAN me Bro!!!!:eek:
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    although check out this story. seems pretty impressive to me

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,336287,00.html
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2008
    Looks like someone in the backseat to me. Look in between the drivers seat headrest and seat. The interior color appears to be tan, but there is black covering the area that should be tan interior.

I did see this on the news with a very enhanced photo and there is someone back there.
    No excuses!
  • nms
    nms Posts: 671
    edited March 2008
    The school this happened at (UNC) is (figuratively) right down the road from me. The victim was the Student Body President, so it's a pretty **** up situation that's got the whole town rattled.
    My system

"The world is an ever evolving clusterf*ck." --treitz3
  • bobman1235
    edited March 2008
    nms wrote: »
    The victim was the Student Body President, so it's a pretty **** up situation that's got the whole town rattled.

Yeah too bad it wasn't someone less important and popular that got murdered. :rolleyes:
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    Yeah too bad it wasn't someone less important and popular that got murdered. :rolleyes:

hahahaha o sarcasm just fills my love tank
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008

lol!

When I watched the NC/Duke basketball game this weekend I was wondering what some of those athletes that came from some rougher neighborhoods thought about all of the hoopla they were raising about this chick...

It's a terrible story, no doubt, but there's a long list of terrible stories out there. I guess it just doesn't matter as much unless you're the student body president. :rolleyes:
  • Demiurge
    edited March 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Looks like someone in the backseat to me. Look in between the drivers seat headrest and seat. The interior color appears to be tan, but there is black covering the area that should be tan interior.

I did see this on the news with a very enhanced photo and there is someone back there.

I can't find that function in PS CS3. :p
  • AdamRagland
    edited March 2008
    agreed. reminds me of when prince harry came home a "hero" because he was serving in afghanistan and everyone in the media made a HUGE buzz over how amazing he was.if only the other THOUSANDS of soldiers coming home got the same welcome home
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    Don't these morons know they've got cameras at ATM's? I guess you've got to be pretty freakin' ignorant to commit a crime like that in the first place. The guy may as well have left his ID at the scene.
    It's like these guys that do the drive by shootings with the most obvious vehicle in town. ......"the perpetrator's were seen leaving the scene in a bright red and yellow striped Hummer with a bobbing Bozo the Clown head on top"......
    and then go cruising around town. :rolleyes:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • dkg999
    edited March 2008
    dragon1952 wrote: »
    Don't these morons know they've got cameras at ATM's? I guess you've got to be pretty freakin' ignorant to commit a crime like that in the first place. The guy may as well have left his ID at the scene.
    It's like these guys that do the drive by shootings with the most obvious vehicle in town. ......"the perpetrator's were seen leaving the scene in a bright red and yellow striped Hummer with a bobbing Bozo the Clown head on top"......
    and then go cruising around town. :rolleyes:

Reason #114 why gang members should stay in school and get an education ;)
    DKG999

• Bamadude
    Bamadude Posts: 245
    edited March 2008
    What gets me is that on average the surveillance equipment in many businesses is pretty much a joke considering how much prices have come down. Most are still black and white and many only take a image every few seconds. You can't go a day or so without the news asking if you've seen a person in some crappy grainy footage. Just think if they had video and basic audio at this ATM... might even have some names. I know it comes down to money and it's not going to change anytime soon, but if there's a chance a murderer is going to pose right in front of you then why not upgrade that Fisher Price camera?
    AVR: Pioneer VSX-84TXSi (RIP - lightening) / Amp: Sunfire Cinema Grand / Klipsh R-10B Sounbar, LC65fx / Sub: Elemental Designs LT/1300 / TV: Panasonic TH-50PH9UK /SIZE]
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    That looks like Richard Pryor to me :eek:
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones