Has anyone Donated a car before?

66chevyIISS
66chevyIISS Posts: 857
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I have a 1996 Acura 2.5TL with 184,000 miles on it. The car runs and drives, but it will need some work done to it. Right now it blue books around $3700. If I were to sell it I would honestly be happy with getting around $1,500 for it. I really don't want to have to deal with selling it however and people still complaining about problems with it even though its well below blue book value.

What I would really like to do is donate it to a local highschool or community college shop. Supposedly you can claim the fair market value of the car with a donation, but is there any fine print they don't tell you about?

Would selling it for $1000-1500 be better then donating it and claiming say $3,200 at the end of the year?

If anyone has done this before let me know.
My Home Theater (WIP):
Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
Media Room pics
Post edited by 66chevyIISS on

Comments

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited March 2008
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    Claim fair market. As long as it's fixable what the heck. They probably have volunteers that fix them for free anyway. I don't think there's any 'fine print' in the way you mean. I have donated a car that was running but needed a little work and I claimed fair market.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • sucks2beme
    sucks2beme Posts: 5,601
    edited March 2008
    Normally, selling it would work out better.
    The only time it helps is if you're right on the line between
    tax brackets.
    I donated a rust bucket about 20+ years ago.
    A month later some punk kid almost ran me off the
    road in it. I took a moment for me to realize it was
    my old car!
    "The legitimate powers of government extend to such acts only as are injurious to others. But it does me no injury for my neighbour to say there are twenty gods, or no god. It neither picks my pocket nor breaks my leg." --Thomas Jefferson
  • Rivrrat
    Rivrrat Posts: 2,101
    edited March 2008
    I've donated a car before, and took mid book for it, but now the IRS wants an appraisial for the true value, so it's not as convenient.

Thanks to the IRS, I won't do it again.
    My equipment sig felt inadequate and deleted itself.
  • cambir
    cambir Posts: 1,045
    edited March 2008
    If you donate to a charity that accepts vehicles on a regular basis, they will usually provide you paperwork showing the value of your donation for tax purposes.

I think we donated to the Treehouse (IIRC) organization in Seattle.
  • 66chevyIISS
    66chevyIISS Posts: 857
    edited March 2008
    I ended up selling it on CL for $1600.
    My Home Theater (WIP):
    Panasonic AE900 Projector - 126" screen, XBOX 360, Pioneer BDP-320 Bluray
    Receiver: Denon AVR-1905
    Fronts: RTi6's, Center: CSi5, Surrounds: RTi4, Rears: Denon
    Dual Subs: PSW202, and behind the couch Denon 8"

My showcase link:
    Media Room pics