are JL subs that good??

shootsbrah
shootsbrah Posts: 4
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
i sell car audio at a local electronics store and always come across someone looking for JL subs. we dont carry JL Audio products but we do sell Polk, Infinity , and Kicker subs. Most of the time, its the youngins looking for JL's. they walk in my department and when i tell them we dont carry any JL products they usually laugh and dont care to listen to anything else. I actually had one kid try to correct me because i said "W6" :confused:. he told me that they're "DUB 6". i just walked away.....

anyways, how much better are JL subs than others? i've owned a pair of 10" W3's about 5 years ago and my 2 10" polk db's that i have now sound just as good.
Post edited by shootsbrah on

Comments

• Topper
    Topper Posts: 403
    edited March 2008
    quality products that are tailor made for the different markets they target coupled with a strong marketing department has made JL what it is today :).

(notice I didn't say they were better :))
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited March 2008
    they have always made solid products period.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • Shmenan101
    Shmenan101 Posts: 5
    edited March 2008
    Well i have been through Alpine type R subs, Infinity Reference subs, Rockford Fosgate P2 subs, and JBLs. I now own a JL W3v3 12" powered by a Kicker 300.1. While it doesnt make me cry at how much better is is from everything else, i do hear differences. First, its way more musical than the other subs ive owned. Its also really tight bass, not sloppy like the rockfords and JBL. So is it night and day? No, but if your into SQ then i think JL is a better choice than most.
  • eloplayspolo
    eloplayspolo Posts: 1,117
    edited March 2008
    they are very good... but their is better.
    2013 Toyota Prius
    Audible Physics 3 Way: H6MB, AR3-A, AR2.0
    Image Dynamics iDMax 12" D2v4
    (2) Alpine PDX-V9 Bridged, Alpine PDX-M12 (500w Mid-Bass, 200w Mid, 200w Tweet, 1200w Sub)
    Mosconi 6to8 v8
  • pentavolvo
    pentavolvo Posts: 68
    edited March 2008
    They are good subs but IMO they are overpriced.
  • Meeks32
    Meeks32 Posts: 330
    edited March 2008
    pentavolvo wrote: »
    They are good subs but IMO they are overpriced.

But if they sell like they do at those prices then you cant blame JL for it.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    They are very good subs but they are also the most marketed subs. Theyre whats on Unique Whips and in all the hip hop videos so thats what everybody wants.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008
    It's just name recognition. At one point it was Atomic or go home then Kicker then Rockford Fosgate. It is a marketing department that is doing an awesome job of getting JL's name out there.