Down For The Count

George Grand
George Grand Posts: 12,258
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
The power when out this afternoon, and I'm pretty sure I heard our primary computer grind to its final halt and go **** up. I'm transmitting off our back-up job, but won't have e-mail and **** for awhile. Probably make for a nice vacation, and I hope the weather in the near future will be conducive with outdoor proyects.
Post edited by George Grand on

Comments

• Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    Sorry to hear that George. By the title of the thread I thought you were sick. Is it a desktop or a laptop? If you were plugged into a surge protector you might be ok.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited March 2008
    Surge protector was in place. It's a Dell desktop and it won't power up. It can eat me.
  • Fireman32
    Fireman32 Posts: 4,845
    edited March 2008
    Might be just the power supply. If it is it's a cheap fix.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2008
    It's probably time for a new pc anyway! Have fun shopping for one.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    I'm glad to hear it was the hardware and not you.
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited March 2008
    I'm glad to hear it was the hardware and not you.

Well, some people have referred to George as "hardware.":p
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • bikezappa
    bikezappa Posts: 2,463
    edited March 2008
    and go **** up.

Wow haven't heard that for a while.

Wowee Zowee
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    I lost a pc last summer, along w/ a PSW303. The sub was direct to the outlet, and the pc was from a switched port on the back of my Denon, which was fed from a surge protector. No theories as to why it bypassed the rcvr. and fried the pc.?
    It was a POS emachines, so it wasn't missed!
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited March 2008
    Surge protectors won't protect you from a brownout or powerout. PC equipment tend not to be as robost as audio and video equipment but we tend to baby our a/v stuff. If the pc is important to you, I'd recommend a ups. I've never cared for the amount of uptime supplied by a ups since our home computers are usually off if no one is home. It's the sudden puff of smoke, money to replace, and time dedicated to investigating whether the blown psu died by itself or whether it also took out the motherboard, cpu, memory, and video card that justifies a $150 ups for me. Also, get a quality psu for your pc and vacuum them. Once they get clogged up (usually the fan) with dust, smoke, hair, dander, they'll go puff and that $150 ups won't do a thing for you.

Good luck, George.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    Don't jump the gun just yet. Sometimes with a power failure there is a spike associated with it. Dell's (which I do like) are susceptible to this. The caps hold the voltage that triggers the protection circuit in the PS. I have lost a lot of money telling customers this trick. Unplug the power cord, and hold the power button in for about 10 seconds. Plug your puter back in, and it might fire up. This trick works about one out of three times. People think their puters are fried, and toss them, or hook them up at a later date to find it working. This tip works with laptops too. Just remove battery, and power cord. +1 on the UPS over a surge protector.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • obieone
    edited March 2008
    UPS for PC's- got it! I got NO problem spending $150 for a ups if it's gonna save a $1,500 HTPC.
  • ben62670
    ben62670 Posts: 15,969
    edited March 2008
    obieone wrote: »
    UPS for PC's- got it! I got NO problem spending $150 for a ups if it's gonna save a $1,500 HTPC.

Check your Sunday paper. you can get a decent 550va or better UPS for $60 or so. With an LCD monitor this is plenty for a home PC. I would not get any less though because the batteries in a smaller unit are not up to snuff. A UPS can last 3 to 5 years if not tortured by many power outages. Just be sure to set the puter to shut down (hibernation better yet if it gets along with your puter), and ONLY plug the puter, and monitor into the battery backup part of the UPS. Even small wall warts can completely drain a UPS in a power outage.
    Please. Please contact me a ben62670 @ yahoo.com. Make sure to include who you are, and you are from Polk so I don't delete your email. Also I am now physically unable to work on any projects. If you need help let these guys know. There are many people who will help if you let them know where you are.
    Thanks
    Ben
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    Unplug your PC from the wall, and put your tongue on the outlet to see if you still have fresh electricity.
    You might have stale electricity.

Report back (or try to) with your findings.

;) (put in for purposes of legal disclaimer)

.... or get a new PS as others have suggested. Cheap fix.
    Sal Palooza
  • obieone
    edited March 2008
    I don't mind spending more $ for a highend HTPC(yet to be built). It's just good to know that Surge Protectors/ conditioners really don't protect pc's.
    Thanks again for the info.
  • fatchowmein
    fatchowmein Posts: 2,637
    edited March 2008
    ben62670 wrote: »
    Check your Sunday paper. you can get a decent 550va or better UPS for $60 or so. With an LCD monitor this is plenty for a home PC. I would not get any less though because the batteries in a smaller unit are not up to snuff. A UPS can last 3 to 5 years if not tortured by many power outages. Just be sure to set the puter to shut down (hibernation better yet if it gets along with your puter), and ONLY plug the puter, and monitor into the battery backup part of the UPS. Even small wall warts can completely drain a UPS in a power outage.

Good point. No, you don't need to spend $150. Buy according to your needs. I have two pc's and two monitors connected to mine plus I paid extra for a unit with line conditioner and the ability to replace the battery.