Photographing a wedding today - any advice

AsSiMiLaTeD
AsSiMiLaTeD Posts: 11,725
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
So.I am supposed to be taking pictures at a wedding today, and really have no clue what I'm doing.

I have a D40 and just bought the QF30 flash for it. I have an 18-55 and a 55-200 lens.

Any quick advice for taking decent indoor photos? This is last minute and they know I'm not a pro, but would like to give them decent photos.

Thanks
Post edited by AsSiMiLaTeD on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited March 2008
    Dont have any advice, but good luck! A lot of photographers I know refuse to do weddings...a lot of memories riding on your camera.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    I suggest lots of cleavage shots.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • jdhdiggs
    jdhdiggs Posts: 4,305
    edited March 2008
    Take TONS of pics, get extra batteries. If you think it would be a cool pic, take it, when in doubt, take it. From the couples side:You would rather have to sort through 2,000 photos for 50 good ones than only have taken 100 shots with 45 good ones.

That said, practice some headshots with someone else to get the portrait photo's. Also, HTH did you get roped into doing this you moron!?!? (I mean that in the kindest way possible.)
    There is no genuine justice in any scheme of feeding and coddling the loafer whose only ponderable energies are devoted wholly to reproduction. Nine-tenths of the rights he bellows for are really privileges and he does nothing to deserve them. We not only acquired a vast population of morons, we have inculcated all morons, old or young, with the doctrine that the decent and industrious people of the country are bound to support them for all time.-Menkin
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    Their guy backed out, and I'm the only one with an even decent camera
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2008
    All I can say is...good luck. I've never shot a wedding and have two people asking me to shoot their weddings in June. I told them I've never shot one and absolutely cannot guarantee that I'll get anything worthwhile or professional looking.

Both parties didn't care and said they trust me. Bunch of fools! ;)

This guy here Monte Zucker was (and still is) regarded as the top wedding photographer in the world. He passed away last year, but his site lives on.
    No excuses!
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited March 2008
    Bring LOTTTTs of film, make sure everything is centered. Look over the posers & make sure nobody has something stuck in their teeth or toilet paper stuck to thier shoes. Make sure to get pictures of all the important moments, & people dancing with the appropriate people...bride & groom, mother of the groom/w father of the bride...etc.

Try to also take some family portraits as well. You never know if that might be the last time someone is able to make it to such an event. So having pictures of them nice & happy is a real good thing!

Get pics of the bride & groom alone, make sure they are kissing each other in one of them.
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    Take more than you need, a LOT more. Take photos thinking that only 25% of them will make the cut. Extra batteries are a must. Don't wait for the moment to happen, take the shot if you feel something good is gonna happen [may the force be with you], otherwise it may be too late. Look for people smiling, having a good time. Take individual photos and group photos. If you are outdoors, use the sun to your advantage....especially during Golden hour.

Take photos of the event happening, not just "posed" photos. Take a shot from across the room of a grandmother giving a child a kiss for example. Continually scope the entire area for a great shot no matter where that shot may be. Try your best to include every single person who shows up, forgetting no one....no matter how freakin' ugly they may be. Don't be embarrassed to move around during the ceremony to get the best shots. You are the only person who will get them and the photos will be remembered, not that the photographer was "walking" [and how dare him :rolleyes:] during the ceremony. The couple will be too engrossed with the event to even notice what you are doing.

Setting the bride's ring on top of a bouquet of flowers and getting a closeup makes for a picture many like. Use your imagination with photos and if people want to "pose"......sometimes it's ok, but try to keep a low profile and request that folks who notice that you are about to take their photo not mind you, and to go about enjoying the wedding/ceremony. Take photos of the outside/preparations of the event at the start, folks walking up to the church/event, kids playing, facial expressions [not bad one's] and anything you think the couple or family would get a chuckle out of. Close-up, framed in shots provide an intimate setting, if you will, of a special moment that was captured within all of the event. Look for them everywhere, zoom is your friend. When that photo is taken, immediately scope out the entire area for your next shot and try to anticipate the one after that.

Be polite. Be helpful. Know the schedule of events, plan accordingly. Don't sit down and eat with everybody, snack quickly as this is one of the best photo ops you will have of smiles, groups and expressions. Stay out of the way, yet take command when necessary and enjoy every moment you are there as it will be reflected in your photos. Good luck, have fun and don't drink too much and forget why you are there.
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    Any technical tips on taking indoor pictures or portraits in general?

Thanks
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2008
    Upskirt shots are always good.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited March 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »

Thanks
    Just make sure you have your ISO set high enough to get good exposures, but not so high that the pics will come out grainy. I don't know if you'll be using your flash for all your pictures, but ISO shouldn't be much of a problem when you are using the flash, I wouldn't think. With a nice add-on flash like the one you'll be using, I'm sure it'll automatically adjust itself just fine. I know with a point and shoot the flash would grossly overpower everything, but I wouldn't think you'd have that problem here.

Also, think about the lighting sources in the rooms you're taking pictures in. Again, if you're always using your flash, it shouldn't be a problem, but if you're not using the flash, then set the white balance accordingly; incandescent lights will make everything yellow/orangey, and fluorescent lights will make everything look green.

I don't know how into photography you are, but if you're taking posed shots and are in a situation where you can pause and think about it for a second, you may want to try bouncing the flash off something nearby instead of just using it directly. But then again, maybe not.

Umm....make sure the focus is right...:D

And good luck!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • treitz3
    treitz3 Posts: 18,982
    edited March 2008
    ~ In search of accurate reproduction of music. Real sound is my reference and while perfection may not be attainable? If I chase it, I might just catch excellence. ~
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited March 2008
    Polkmaniac wrote: »

Thanks

How comfortable are you with the technical aspects of your equipment? Do you shoot in manual mode? Familiar with bounce-flash techniques? Do you know what I'm talking about if I say "dragging the shutter"? The best technical tips are going to involve flash techniques, and I'm not familiar with the capabilities of your flash.

I've never shot a wedding professionally (for money) and I'm NOT a pro and not even really a very good photographer, when it comes right down to it. But I HAVE done what you're about to do, and it's tough. I did okay, but not as well as I had hoped. If possible, try to get into the church (or whatever the location) beforehand so that you can take some test shots (bring someone to photograph) and sort out lighting, setting, etc.
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited March 2008
    Have an extra camera or two handy no matter what the quality is. This sort of event must be captured somehow no matter what.
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »
    madmax wrote: »
    Upskirt shots are always good.
    madmax

That advice would apply to most of life's situations.

Jdhdiggs adivice of taking TONS of pictures is what'll turn you into a hero in this thankless job.
    When in doubt .... take two pictures. Than take some more. And one more for good measure. Than another one to back that up.

Stop by Walgreens on the way to the wedding and pick up some more memory cards.

And BATTERIES
    Sal Palooza
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2008
    Set ISO low 100 for outdoor // 200 or 400 for indoor, set camera for high mode. Watch or think about your background image. Bring extra batteries / memory cards....

Above all have fun :)

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• Shizelbs
    Shizelbs Posts: 7,433
    edited March 2008
    Get the bridesmaids drunk and see what happens.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited March 2008
    madmax wrote:
    Have an extra camera or two handy no matter what the quality is. This sort of event must be captured somehow no matter what.

The best advice so far.

Do everything you can to avoid a flash inside the church (if it is in a church). ISO around 800 and a fast lens if possible.

Whatever else you get...you must get THE KISS. I don't care if you take a thousand pictures...miss this one and the whole shoot is a bust.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    Thanks for all the advice guys, the wedding went pretty well. Some old **** stood up right in front of me for the kiss, luckily I snapped a couple back to back, but she blocked what would have been the better of the shots.

Overall the pictures turned out better than I thought they would, but I'm no Ansel Adams...
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    dorokusai wrote: »

Well ?

Any good bridesmaids' shots ?

Strictly for critical review purposes only, of course.

....... I'm waiting !!

:rolleyes:
    Sal Palooza
  • disneyjoe7
    disneyjoe7 Posts: 11,435
    edited March 2008
    ;) :d :d

Speakers
    Carver Amazing Fronts
    CS400i Center
    RT800i's Rears
    Sub Paradigm Servo 15

Electronics
    Conrad Johnson PV-5 pre-amp
    Parasound Halo A23
    Pioneer 84TXSi AVR
    Pioneer 79Avi DVD
    Sony CX400 CD changer
    Panasonic 42-PX60U Plasma
    WMC Win7 32bit HD DVR

• AsSiMiLaTeD
    edited March 2008
    I saw this on the way home and decided to snap a quick pic...

This is an intersection in Terrell, Tx
  • SKsolutions
    SKsolutions Posts: 1,820
    edited March 2008
    Don't do shots.
    -Ignorance is strength -