Seattle women shatters boomerang record

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
This is pretty cool I thought... i didn't even know people still played/used boomerangs anymore, who knew.

SEATTLE - A Seattle attorney become the first woman to set a world boomerang record for time aloft.

The United States Boomerang Association says Betsylew Miale-Gix broke the world record for unlimited time aloft by throwing and catching a boomerang that stayed airborne for an incredible 3 minutes and 49 seconds.

USBA says Miale-Gix broke the record for "Maximum time Aloft" at a tournament in Tucson, Ariz. on Feb. 23.

"I knew it was a big throw but had no idea it had been up that long," said Miale-Gix.

USBA says Miale-Gix has been the "premier" female competitive boomerang thrower in the world for the last decade, and has been the only woman throwing for the United States on the last five United States Boomerang Teams in International World Cup competition.

Seattle will host the 2008 World Boomerang Championships, Aug. 17-28. Competition will be held on the sports fields at the University of Washington.

Miale-Gix is a partner practicing personal injury and insurance law at Adler Giersch PS in Seattle.

In July of 2002, she was arrested and briefly detained at Bradley International Airport in Connecticut after she argued with a security screener who wanted to remove her boomerangs from her luggage.
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• sabotg
    sabotg Posts: 126
    edited March 2008
    That's funny. I bought my 4 year old a boomerang for Christmas. I can only get it to fly for 10-20 seconds before it takes a header into the dirt. I only managed to catch it once :p
  • AdamRagland
    AdamRagland Posts: 521
    edited March 2008
    thats pretty sweet. i didnt realize you could get them to fly THAT long
  • BIZILL
    BIZILL Posts: 5,432
    edited March 2008
    hey, that's my city. but not like i'd go to watch a boomerang tourney.:rolleyes:

POLK SDA-SRS 1.2TL -- ADCOM GFA-5802
    PANASONIC PT-AE4000U -- DIY WILSONART DW 135" 2.35:1 SCREEN
    ONKYO TX-SR805
    CENTER: CSI5
    MAINS: RTI8'S
    SURROUNDS: RTI8'S
    7.1 SURROUNDS: RTI6'S
    SUB: SVS PB12-PLUS/2 (12.3 series)

XBOX 360
    WiiPS3/blu-rayTOSHIBA HD-A35 hd dvd

http://polkarmy.com/forums/index.php
    bobman1235 wrote:
    I have no facts to back that up, but I never let facts get in the way of my arguments.
  • AndyGwis
    AndyGwis Posts: 3,655
    edited March 2008
    video or it didn't happen. . .
    Stereo Rig: Hales Revelation 3, Musical Fidelity CD-Pre 24, Forte Model 3 amp, Lexicon RT-10 SACD, MMF-5 w/speedbox, Forte Model 2 Phono Pre, Cardas Crosslink, APC H15, URC MX-950, Lovan Stand
    Bedroom: Samsung HPR-4252, Toshiba HD-A2, HK 3480, Signal Cable, AQ speaker cable, Totem Dreamcatchers, SVS PB10-NSD, URC MX-850
  • obieone
    obieone Posts: 5,077
    edited March 2008
    Almost 4 MINUTES!!! That sounds goofy. Must have been perfect wind conditions.
    I refuse to argue with idiots, because people can't tell the DIFFERENCE!
  • CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008
    with new materials and design it wouldnt surprise me. Have you ever thrown an Aerobie... I used to play with one in highschool at the beach. record throw with one of those is like a mile straight. it's shaped like a wing but in a circle like a frizbee so it continually creates lift. was pretty fun. great toy for the kids, but you need a lot of space like a huge park to really toss it.
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • 1fastz28
    1fastz28 Posts: 122
    edited March 2008
    wat.
    setup
    Panasonic 46pz85
    Polk RTi A9's
    Polk CSi A6
    FXi A6's
    Energy s12.3 sub
    Denon 3808ci
    Pioneer elite dv-79
    Monster 1850
    Denon dp500m w/ grado green
    PS3,XBOX 360, NES
  • mrbigbluelight
    mrbigbluelight Posts: 9,675
    edited March 2008
    1fastz28 wrote: »
    wat.

Wut ?
    Sal Palooza
  • brettw22
    brettw22 Posts: 7,624
    edited March 2008
    No ****............you get an Aerobie, you better plan to run your **** off if you're throwing with someone who can't get it down how to get go of it without launching it.......
    comment comment comment comment. bitchy.
  • CAvolleyballguy
    edited March 2008
    brettw22 wrote: »
    No ****............you get an Aerobie, you better plan to run your **** off if you're throwing with someone who can't get it down how to get go of it without launching it.......

no kidding.
    my buddy and I used to have back to back study hall in high school our senior year, so for almost 2 hours we would cut study hall (what a waste of time) and sneak down to the varsity fields and toss that sucker...

whats cool about it, is when it gets ready to land it almost hovers so you can do really cool catches easier than a frisbee, like land on your head or jump and catch between the legs... ah, the benefit of youth..

they make a giant one now too

ok.. so it wasnt a mile, but pretty far for a straight throw
    ""It was used to achieve the Guinness World Record for the "longest throw of an object without any velocity-aiding feature". The record was originally set in 1986 and then broken in 2003 in San Francisco by Erin Hemmings. The 2003 record toss traveled 1,333 feet (406.3 metres) and the Aerobie was airborne for over 30 seconds.""
  • CAvolleyballguy
    edited March 2008
    Ok this is too hilarious, click on the site, then click on catching... some nim rod (the record holder) put up a site telling people how to play with the thing, click on "catching" and read, nim rod's catches and explanations... jeesh... if you lack at least this much creativity on how to play with a frikin frizbee, you shouldnt be allowed outside to play...

http://www3.sympatico.ca/digino/aerobie/
  • tonyb
    tonyb Posts: 32,951
    edited March 2008
    Wow.....she had it up almost 4 minutes?
    My wife says thats longer than........never mind.:p:D
    HT SYSTEM-
    Sony 850c 4k
    Pioneer elite vhx 21
    Sony 4k BRP
    SVS SB-2000
    Polk Sig. 20's
    Polk FX500 surrounds