sr6500 low end rollover point

ZRide
ZRide Posts: 9
edited March 2008 in Car Audio & Electronics
Can anyone verify the low end rollover point on the SR6500? Is it set to 40Hz? The problem I am having is possibly sending too much bass to the woofer. It sometimes bottoms out on low notes. I have an head unit with a built in eq which has a high pass filter on it. I have it either set to off or to 50Hz. how should I keep these settings to avoid bottoming out the woofer? I am running passive currently wired in-line. I previously had it bi-amped but not right now. Thx.
Post edited by ZRide on

Comments

• Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited March 2008
    ZRide wrote: »
    Can anyone verify the low end rollover point on the SR6500? Is it set to 40Hz? The problem I am having is possibly sending too much bass to the woofer. It sometimes bottoms out on low notes. I have an head unit with a built in eq which has a high pass filter on it. I have it either set to off or to 50Hz. how should I keep these settings to avoid bottoming out the woofer? I am running passive currently wired in-line. I previously had it bi-amped but not right now. Thx.

Clarify what you mean by "low end rollover" please.

The passive simply splits the appropriate frequencies to the tweeter and mid. There is no high-pass filter on the passive crossover for keeping the mid from playing frequencies lower than it should...for that you'll want to use one on the head unit or amp. Depending on how loud you intend to play the SR6500s, the ideal HPF setting could be as low as 50hz (low volumes) or as high as 80-100hz (higher volume).

What head unit are you running? What amp are you using for your SRs?

I assume you've tried the HPF setting of 50hz and are still having the mids bottom out, so you may need some hardware that will allow for a higher HPF point. The resonant frequency of the SR6500 is given at 60hz- that's not to say they won't reproduce frequencies lower than that, but trying to get sub-60hz information out of them at an appreciable volume level may tend to have the mids bottom out, and that's best left to a designated subwoofer anyway.
  • ZRide
    edited March 2008
    If it is really 60Hz, that would make sense. My headunit HPF allows 50Hs, 80Hz, and 100Hz. Both 80 and 100 cut off too much of the mid frequencies so I keep it on 50.

By rollover point, I meant crossover point. Also, by woofer, I really meant mid. Since I don't have a sub yet, that is my woofer/mid.

So, if I need to, I can set the HPF to 80 Hz and that way nothing below 80 should theoretically get thru preventing bottoming out.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I need a sub but I figured I should be able to play them with some low end without a sub.

BTW, I am running them off of an alpind pdx4.100, bridged at 200W x 2.

Thanks, let me know if you have any more suggestions. I want to allow some lows to get thru without bottoming out.
  • Greg Peters
    Greg Peters Posts: 605
    edited March 2008
    ZRide wrote: »
    If it is really 60Hz, that would make sense. My headunit HPF allows 50Hs, 80Hz, and 100Hz. Both 80 and 100 cut off too much of the mid frequencies so I keep it on 50.

By rollover point, I meant crossover point. Also, by woofer, I really meant mid. Since I don't have a sub yet, that is my woofer/mid.

So, if I need to, I can set the HPF to 80 Hz and that way nothing below 80 should theoretically get thru preventing bottoming out.

I guess it all boils down to the fact that I need a sub but I figured I should be able to play them with some low end without a sub.

BTW, I am running them off of an alpind pdx4.100, bridged at 200W x 2.

Thanks, let me know if you have any more suggestions. I want to allow some lows to get thru without bottoming out.

Playing frequencies in the vicinity of 50hz with that much power is enough to bottom out the mids. Depending on the slope of the crossover setting your head unit uses, it will indeed allow frequencies below the stated HPF point of 50hz through to your components. Typical slopes found in HUs are 6db/octave, 12 db/octave, 18db/octave and 24db/octave. I don't know if your head unit allows you to adjust the slope of the crossover points, but a steeper slope (higher number of db/octave) rolls off the frequencies below your chosen crossover point more sharply- a slope of 24db/octave allows far less low frequency information to be played by the mid than one of 6 db/octave. Using a steeper slope (if possible) with a crossover point of 50hz will allow less music material below 50hz through, while moving up to a shallower slope with an 80hz setting will allow more midbass below 80hz through.

If you are using the factory speakers as a benchmark, they'll typically play lower than an aftermarket component system will, as the OEM designs the factory speakers to approximate the whole frequency range- the problem is, they don't do any one thing particularly well. Your aftermarket components are designed specifically to reproduce a certain part of the spectrum and will do so far better than anything from the factory, but they are usually intended to be used with a subwoofer for anything in the 20-80hz range. Proper use of aftermarket components and a sub will outperform the factory system in a huge way, so use a higher HPF setting until you get your sub so you don't damage the components trying to get them to play outside of their intended frequency response.
  • ZRide
    edited March 2008
    The headunit by the way is an AVIC D3 which has its own EQ settings. What I can do is set the HPF to 80hz and adjust the EQ. If I do this, will it still be possible to get a frequency less than 80 Hz to pass thru?
  • killerb
    killerb Posts: 390
    edited March 2008
    i ran mine with a carver m4120 with 120w going to the mids with no problems. check the gain settings.
    kenwood excelon kdc-x991 h.u.
    Rockford Fosgate 360.3 DSP
    Rockford Fosgate POWER1000 running entire system
    Image Dynamics IDQ12 Sub
    Morel Elate 6 front stage
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited March 2008
    Your amp is overdriving the mids and pushing the suspension to its limits.

2 things you should do -

1- I would cross them over at 50 Hz. Below that they start to get a little sloppy.

2- Once theyre crossed at 50 see if they still bottom out. They may slightly. Turn the gains down on the amp til they stop bottoming.

That amp is putting out a lot of power, probably in the neighborhood of 225+ watts and since those are 120 watt speakers that amp can easily overdrive the speaker's suspension.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D