Patrick Swayze Pancreatic cancer

Polk user
Polk user Posts: 311
edited March 2008 in The Clubhouse
I lost my mom to pancreatic cancer 2 years ago. Cancer will touch all of you. Please give to cancer research.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,335210,00.html
Post edited by Polk user on

Comments

• hearingimpared
    hearingimpared Posts: 21,137
    edited March 2008
    Bad business cancer is and pancreatic is one of the worst. My cousin and aunt passed from it.
  • Strong Bad
    Strong Bad Posts: 4,277
    edited March 2008
    Lost my mom to it almost 13 years ago.

Swayze was a cool dude in my book. Roadhouse is a total classic!

Wishing the best for him.

John
    No excuses!
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2008
    Strong Bad wrote: »
    Swayze was a cool dude in my book. Roadhouse is a total classic!

Not to mention his "dance off" with Chris Farley on SNL.

Hope he gets well soon.
  • wingnut4772
    wingnut4772 Posts: 7,519
    edited March 2008
    We just lost a friend and a fellow officer to pancreatic cancer.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Von Schweikert VR4 Jr R/L Fronts
    Von Schweikert LCR 4 Center
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Hsu ULS-15 Quad Drive Subwoofers
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

Polk Atrium 7s on the patio just to keep my foot in the door.
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited March 2008
    Danny Tse wrote: »
    Not to mention his "dance off" with Chris Farley on SNL.
    LOL that was funny stuff.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • opus
    opus Posts: 1,252
    edited March 2008
    Turning into the "Roadhouse" curse.:(

First Healy and then Swayze. Watch out Sam Elliot

Too sad
    The Flea rig
    Hitachi 50VG825 LCD
    Rotel RSP 1066 (pre) :)-flea market
    B&K St-202 (mains)-flea market
    Carver M 200t (x2) (center and surrounds)-flea market
    Blu-Ray..PS3 (dvd player)
    Polk RTA-11t-flea market
    LsiC, Fxi30's

Dual SVS PC-Utra's (1 port blocked) thanks MikeC78
    Behringer Feedback Destroyer
    -flea market
    AudioAlchemy DDE v1.0 DAC-flea market
    Cambridge Audio Azur 640 CDP-flea market
    Signal Cable and Kimber Kable
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,577
    edited March 2008
    I bet if he sparred with Chuck Norris, it would would cure him.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • engtaz
    engtaz Posts: 7,663
    edited March 2008
    Cancer has taken too many of my Loved ones.

engtaz
    engtaz

I love how music can brighten up a bad day.
  • mhardy6647
    mhardy6647 Posts: 33,691
    edited March 2008
    Pancreatic cancer has virtually zero recovery rate.
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    What the hell is a pancreas and what does it do? I am doing a colon cleanse right now so dumping like a rhino every day. They say it helps keep your system from building up toxins. PS is a hell of cool actor, I just watched The Outsiders on FX the other day.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2008
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    I watched Donnie Darko tonight for the first time tonight, I had no idea Swayze was in it. I wish him the best.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Danny Tse
    Danny Tse Posts: 5,206
    edited March 2008
    GV#27 wrote: »
    LOL that was funny stuff.

Here's the "dance off" @ Chippendales between Swayze and Farley.
  • dragon1952
    dragon1952 Posts: 4,899
    edited March 2008
    My Grandmother died of pancreatic cancer. She led the cleanest life possible. Very fatal disease.
    2 channel - Willsenton R8 tube integrated, Holo Audio Spring 3 KTE DAC, audio optimized NUC7i5, Windows 10 Pro/JRiver MC29/Fidelizer Plus 8.7 w/LPS and external SSD drive, PS Audio PerfectWave P3 regenerator, KEF R3 speakers, Rythmik F12SE subwoofer, Audioquest Diamond USB cable, Gabriel Gold IC's, Morrow Audio SP5 speaker cables. Computer - Windows 10/JRiver, Schiit Magni 3+/Modi 3+, Fostex PMO.4n monitors, Sennheiser HD600 headphones
  • venomclan
    venomclan Posts: 2,467
    edited March 2008
    It is a damn shame. From what I know about Swayze, he is one of the good guys, a celebrity with a good heart that did not let his fame go to his head. I hope he prevails. Godspeed Patrick.
    Venom
  • hockeyboy
    hockeyboy Posts: 1,428
    edited March 2008
    My condolences Dragon.
    My Main Gear
    Mitsu HC5000 (Proj.)
    Marantz SR8001 (AVR)
    Sunfire TGA7200 (AMP)
    Marantz DV7001 (SACD)
    Samsung BD-P1500 Blu-Ray
    LSi 15's (Front)
    LSiC (Center)
    LSiFx (Surrounds)
    DUAL SVS 20-39 CS Plus
    (Passive Subs)
    Marantz IS201 I-Pod Dock[/SIZE]
    Panamax M5300EX
    Carada Criterion 106" Brightwhite Screen
    Sunfire TGA 5200 & (4) B&W 605's in the party room
  • CAvolleyballguy
    CAvolleyballguy Posts: 156
    edited March 2008
    hockey, be careful with colon cleanses... lots of important stuff gets flushed away too... make sure you are refilling the system with proper balance of nutrients, vitamins, and eat yogurt to replenish the system with good bacteria, or make sure you know everything you are supposed to eat after one to get you back to healthy.. ( i sold gastro drugs and whenever the docs would make the patients drink a gallon of the intestinal draino so they could scope things out, I know my docs were always giving the patients a list of important items to replenish the system..) my drugs worked on the top of the gastro system, so anything south of the stomach im not a know it all on, just my 2cents to make sure you stay healthy.. check out a product called Fibercon. It is a bulk fiber forming supplement in pill form availabe OTC (my old company wyeth makes it, makers of advil and robitussen too). just a pill a day will give you a healthy digestive system. My gastro docs loved the stuff.

More on cleansing.... Most of my Gastroenterologists disagreed with the practice all together...I know most docs are not worth a damn, but... in my opinion Gastros are some of the sharpest... they deal with a lot of stuff like cancer and are surgeons to boot...so consider this guy here, who is a chief at a teaching institution to know his stuff.

"David L. Diehl, MD, clinical associate professor of medicine at New York University, and chief of gastrointestinal endoscopy at Bellevue Hospital Center, agrees. "High colonics are often touted as a way to cleanse the colon of 'adherent stool' that has been there for years or even decades," he says. "The problem with this concept is that there is no such thing. The body does a good job of eliminating stool, and there are no 'pockets' in the colon that collect stool for years. I do a colonoscopy every day of the week, and a preprocedure purge is sufficient to clean out the stool and leave a pristine looking colon."

Colon cleansers aren't just unnecessary, according to experts, they may even cause harm. "Using coloncleansers on a repetitive basis is not a great idea," Kava says. Your intestines aren't just a waste disposal unit; they're also a place where nutrients from food are absorbed to the bloodstream, to be transported throughout your entire body. Washing out the intestinal tract could potentially interrupt this absorption, leaving you with a vitamin or mineral deficiency. In addition, frequent use of some types of laxatives can have a boomerang effect, so that cleaning your colon could leave it less able to do its job the way nature intended.

Another pitfall of colon cleansers is that they can lead to dehydration, Johnson says.

Moreover, high colonics can potentially harm the colon, causing small tears or internal damage.

Perhaps most alarming, colon cleansers have no proven safety record. "Colon cleansers are really not strictly regulated and tested," Johnson says. "If a product is shown to be harmful, the FDA will take action to have it removed from shelves, but it's not at all the same as taking a prescription drug that's been tested meticulously."
    Rti10 front, csi5, Rti6 surrounds, PSW505, B&K200.7s2, Onkyo705.
  • wingnut4772
    edited March 2008
    hockey, be careful with colon cleanses... lots of important stuff gets flushed away too... make sure you are refilling the system with proper balance of nutrients, vitamins, and eat yogurt to replenish the system with good bacteria, or make sure you know everything you are supposed to eat after one to get you back to healthy.. ( i sold gastro drugs and whenever the docs would make the patients drink a gallon of the intestinal draino so they could scope things out, I know my docs were always giving the patients a list of important items to replenish the system..) my drugs worked on the top of the gastro system, so anything south of the stomach im not a know it all on, just my 2cents to make sure you stay healthy.. check out a product called Fibercon. It is a bulk fiber forming supplement in pill form availabe OTC (my old company wyeth makes it, makers of advil and robitussen too). just a pill a day will give you a healthy digestive system. My gastro docs loved the stuff.

More on cleansing.... Most of my Gastroenterologists disagreed with the practice all together...I know most docs are not worth a damn, but... in my opinion Gastros are some of the sharpest... they deal with a lot of stuff like cancer and are surgeons to boot...so consider this guy here, who is a chief at a teaching institution to know his stuff.

"David L. Diehl, MD, clinical associate professor of medicine at New York University, and chief of gastrointestinal endoscopy at Bellevue Hospital Center, agrees. "High colonics are often touted as a way to cleanse the colon of 'adherent stool' that has been there for years or even decades," he says. "The problem with this concept is that there is no such thing. The body does a good job of eliminating stool, and there are no 'pockets' in the colon that collect stool for years. I do a colonoscopy every day of the week, and a preprocedure purge is sufficient to clean out the stool and leave a pristine looking colon."

Colon cleansers aren't just unnecessary, according to experts, they may even cause harm. "Using coloncleansers on a repetitive basis is not a great idea," Kava says. Your intestines aren't just a waste disposal unit; they're also a place where nutrients from food are absorbed to the bloodstream, to be transported throughout your entire body. Washing out the intestinal tract could potentially interrupt this absorption, leaving you with a vitamin or mineral deficiency. In addition, frequent use of some types of laxatives can have a boomerang effect, so that cleaning your colon could leave it less able to do its job the way nature intended.

Another pitfall of colon cleansers is that they can lead to dehydration, Johnson says.

Moreover, high colonics can potentially harm the colon, causing small tears or internal damage.

Perhaps most alarming, colon cleansers have no proven safety record. "Colon cleansers are really not strictly regulated and tested," Johnson says. "If a product is shown to be harmful, the FDA will take action to have it removed from shelves, but it's not at all the same as taking a prescription drug that's been tested meticulously."

Excellent post.
    Sharp Elite 70
    Anthem D2V 3D
    Parasound 5250
    Parasound HCA 1000 A
    Parasound HCA 1000
    Oppo BDP 95
    Totem Mask Surrounds X4
    Sony PS3
    Squeezebox Touch

• Joe08867
    Joe08867 Posts: 3,919
    edited March 2008

As a person with Crohn's Disease I can tell you my GI (World Renown)is very much against colon cleansers. Her quote: "Your body does this naturally". The whole idea that you may have 5-10 lbs of waste hanging around your colon is ridiculous. If you did you would be in a hospital and having emergency surgery for a stricture that has stopped things from passing. Trust me I know this first hand.:(

If you want to keep your bowels free try a fiber supplement like metamucil or fibercon and drink more water. These methods are much safer for the body and do not flush out all the good bacteria while they work.

Now back to our regularly scheduled post:
    Sad news about Patrick Swayze, the outlook is quite grim for Pancreatic Cancer. Hopefully he will not suffer to long if he does not beat it.
  • Face
    Face Posts: 14,340
    edited March 2008
    hockeyboy wrote: »
    What the hell is a pancreas and what does it do? I am doing a colon cleanse right now so dumping like a rhino every day. They say it helps keep your system from building up toxins.

Bulimics do the same thing, I would stop immediately.
    "He who fights with monsters should look to it that he himself does not become a monster. And when you gaze long into an abyss the abyss also gazes into you." Friedrich Nietzsche